Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-06-2002, 10:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone, I just finally made the time to come and read this. Been wanting to for some time. I just quit work and am trying to do last fall's and this spring's cleaning. I would like to clear everything out, but when we moved here 9 years ago we made a thorough sweep and most things since then are gifts. What do you do with these? I love them all, but we are being buried. We finally told everyone we have such a small place, 500 sq. ft. that we just don't have room. We have 7 acres outside and have asked for gifts for outside. We bought this land with this old trailer and planned to build a house, but things kept getting more and more expensive so we put it off and kept fixing things and making it more livable and now we've decided it is fine for the two of us. I do most of the things you've suggested and am trying to think of more ways to save. Just finally got DH to help clean out one freezer and put everything in the other one, so both aren't half empty until Jan. when we will butcher. I cut way back on paper towels, we use cloth napkins, have to do laundry anyway. We adjust to the stiff jeans after drying clothes in the dryer in the winter. One thing I've noticed in just a couple weeks is if I don't go to town, I don't spend money.
We don't have cable TV and rarely go out to eat. I make most of our Christmas gifts and we have a set budget for other gifts. Our GC are the I wants, but trying to teach them different. Last week they were here and had more fun with a short time in the sprinkler, watered plants while they played instead of filling pool and hand crocheting with some of my yarn scraps. Also had a picnic instead of going to McDonalds. I think I'll try to go through my clothes and give up the ones I like, but never wear. Hope everyone continues to share their ideas about living simply.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:03 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janie--it sounds like you're doing great!! I know what you mean about the gifts--I collect turtles, and could easily fill a room with all of them lol!! I also started asking for yard art and gardening stuff. It's very easy to get overwhelmed with stuff--we moved to from a 2br apt to a 3br house w/basement and a 4-car garage. We got rid of a lot before we moved, and I'm working on clearing out more! We still have too much stuff I'll be going through my closet again this weekend--I've lost some weight and the clothes that no longer fit are going bye-bye
Old 08-08-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

organizing

This is such an interesting subject to me as organizing and decluttering is my goal. I have many hand-me-downs from two grandmothers and don't know what to do with all of them...most are packed away until I figure out a way to find out the worth and go from there. My new rule is something in..something out. I give to the church yearly yard sale. Each box that goes out makes me feel good. I am a bit of a packrat who always finds that I have a need for just the thing I finall threw away. I have dedicated to cleaning a file at a time if that's all I have time for. Discarding all the extra papers that are no longer needed..old insurance policies,bank statements from the prior year, bills, etc. I have organized all the warranty papers into a threering notebook and attached the sales receipt to them.This way I can easily add anything new and always know where to look for directions. Big project was doing the same with recipes. Grandson helped me put them into piles of meat, veg, goodies, etc. and then each of those catagories divided into piles..for instance, goodies: first all cakes, then pies, etc.Too a long time but he enjoyed helping and boy is it easier to find a certain recipe now. Re: the drying on the line.I don't have a dryer and find that if I add liquid softener and then give the clothes a really good shake before I hang them that they aren't too stiff.Really snap them! The best advice is to go one drawer or closet at a time and don't give up.shari
Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone, Shari, I like the idea of the three ring binder for warranties and receipts. Right now ours are at least in a file, but it is overflowing and I know if we go through it, we will find we don't have half of the things any more. I dislike this throwaway world, ten years ago lightening hit and we had to replace several items because parts weren't available for the old ones. We paid quite a bit for a good stereo VCR. Last year we bought another one to edit tapes, took the old one in and had it cleaned. It died a couple of months ago and we figured there wasn't any sense taking it in. I remember when I was little, the TV repairman came to our house to fix our TV. We had that TV for many many years. We ran into the same thing with our gas grill, picked up one of those replacement burners, no way, so we special ordered the one for our grill, good thing DH was able to modify it. Now he says the next one will be one with a lifetime guarantee, hmmm, he spent a lot of money and bought a vice like this. When it broke, we found out the company was no longer in business. Oh, for the good old days. I haven't started on my closets, been working on the yard, figure what is the point of having flower gardens if they look awful and with our dry weather, they do, so I'm working outside, but mostly because our temps have been in low 80s this week!!!!! My GC are using up my yarn for finger chains, it keeps them occupied for hours. I think it is almost time to let them have at the material stash to use some of it up creating whatever their hearts' desire. I do use liquid softner and snap the clothes when hanging them up. Had to teach DH how to do this, his first attempt was wrinkle city. Helps when the wind blows, too. I had to move around our yard to find the best place to catch the wind to put up our umbrella clothesline. I love this space saver. Janie
Old 08-08-2002, 09:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I fold our jeans like I was ironing them.Then I hang them up in my kitchne on a portable rack.I use the clip hangers you get from dept.stores.Their stiff but it 's like I ironed them.I hang dry all of our shirts also.So they last longer.My sband is in the process of getting me a clothes line built.So I can hang my towels and other things out to dry.If you use liquid fabric softner in your wash they want be stiff.If you use your dryer.Buy an off brand liquid fabric softner and get an old wash cloth or rag.Put a little softner on it toss it in the dryer.You have a dryer sheet.Or reuse dryer sheets by getting an preused baby wipe container,off brand fabric softner.Put the clothes in the container with watered down softner.You can reuse the sheets over again.I buy things when they go on sale at the grocery store.Like our local Brookshire brothers has Wesson Oil on sale for 77.cents limit 2 with the purchase of $10.00.Gain Detergent is buy one get one free.My plan is to buy 2 and go back and get 2 more.That way I'm stocked up.I recently bought miricle whip for .99cents each.When we buy bottle cola's we get the ones with tops that you can win with we win a free cola.We put them up in case we want one and don't have any change.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

organizing

I also watch for the grocery sales. It is a big money saver and also a big time saver in the long run. I live about 12 miles to the closest anything..so I don't like stopping in the middle of something and making sure I am presentable just to go run and get milk or some ingredient. I get the three grocery flyers each week and go through marking the sales..get my coupons..and map out the most efficient route..depending on my other errands (banking, drugstore,etc.) I take advantage of the all-in-one rebates at Eckerds and Riteaid or anyone else offering this. Sometimes with my coupon I end up with free deodorant,hair clolor, soap, etc.My husband is so spoiled (thought I was nuts at first) that when he runs out of something , he is shocked if we don't have a back up. I know that you need the space to store it, but I almost never pay full price for anything. I also have a "gift closet" and shop year round for christmas and birthdays..stretching my dollars as I never pay full price I was amazed to find that I can find designer clothes at the expensive store when they are marked down at the same price or cheaper ( never bothered to go into Lord & Taylor's or the others before) than kmart or that kind of store.I am always scanning the clearance racks. The grocery method allows me to always have something on hand to cook if I don't feel like going out or have unexpected company.shari
Old 08-12-2002, 12:24 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love my pantry! It's just a little closet under the basement stairs--but it's mine lol! One side is canned goods and the like, the other side is toilet paper, shampoo, etc. I tyr to keep it stocked--the last year has been tough financially, and I cannot tell you how many times that pantry has kept us fed!!

Actually, this post was meant to be a reminder about emergencies. While you're organizing, keep in mind having things packed so you can literally grab and go! I have a box of food in our coat closet--nothing in it has to be cooked, it's all "dump and heat". I also have water--a two-gallon container for each of us, including the dogs. In a suitcase, I have extra clothes, toiletries, and thin blankets, as well as copies of important papers. And current photos of all of us, just in case. Also a battery-powered radio and flashlight. I personally have never had to deal with this, but friends and family have. I'd rather be prepared than not!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:08 PM

I am slowly getting rid of clutter. Everyone here has given me some good ideas. flylady.net has helped also getting rid of extra things around the house. I either give them to goodwill or friends.

I think this society lives with too much stuff. Stuff can mean alot of different things. I tell my children their is a difference between wants and needs. We shop at consignment stores and when we do go to Kmart or Walmart it is always to the clearence first.

My goal this year is to stock my pantry. So far I have enough toilet paper for a while. It was on sale plus I had a coupon. When I get back to work in Sept. (I'm a preschool teacher) I want to head up to BJ's to load up on some things. (BJ's is like a Sams Club).
Any other suggestions on how to get my pantry filled? I am always looking for new ideas? Teresa
Old 08-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Great idea about the emergency box Mrs.Maniac...hopefully we will never have to use it, but glad it was prepared! I am going to start to get one together...I'll have to find a place to store it?

I try to keep my pantry stocked up too, you never know when a check will be late, lost, or illnesses, or just unexpected bills...

I try to find the lowest price on anything I buy too! And I
clearance racks...I found a long cotton print skirt for $3.00, and a dressier black t-shirt for 50CENTS!!!(kmart was closing here)
I hate to pay $20.00 for a shirt and my friends think I am NUTS!!!

I say I am just thrifty!!!

janet
Old 08-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MrsManiac...Thank you for your post on emergency preparedness. I have lived through Hurricane evacuations and Tornados and it really is very important to stay prepared