Calling for all your Frugal Tips - Page 8 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm growing Catnip seedlings....in an old styrofoam egg carton. They are big enough to transplant, so I made pots from newspaper. These can go right into the ground when the plants are big enough. Got the idea from a website called Instructables.
Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY it's such a kewl site!!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member

I use the dryer balls to help cut static and lesson the drying time in the winter. In the spring/summer I use the clothes line on my back porch to dry clothes, some get tossed in the drye for 5-10 min to soften. I also use vinegar as a fabric softener though I was given a box of dryer sheets that I tear in thirds when I use them.

When Purex 3in1 sheets came out I was able to get 4 boxes for just about free and cut them in half using in the winter time as they have fabric softener & anti-static in the sheets with the detergant.

When brewing tea to make iced tea if you put a dash of baking soda in the boiling water with tea bags you can reduce your bags by half. Bring to a boil then turn off and let cool before adding to your cold water.

Roberta
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member

Revive A Wooden Deck Cheaply

If your wooden deck looks dull swab the deck using a mop dampened with cold black tea. Steep 5 to 10 tea bags in 2 quarts of hot water, then let cool. Use a well wrung mop or a clean damp rag for railings. Go over one small area at a time, wiping dry with a soft cloth or paper towel. The tannin in the tea will lightly stain, blending uneven blotches and leaving a nice shine.
______
Sueanne

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member

My DD showed me this frugal tip and it works. I was in a hurry and got stick deodarant on the outside of my shirt and she had me rub a knee hi across it and it took it off instantly. (Another good use of pantyhouse & knee hi's)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm going to get Big DS some of those Purex 3 in 1 sheets when he goes off to college. They are nice and portable.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member

A great way to reuse pantyhose that has a runner that can't be hidden under pants, Bernice.

Barb if you cut the 3in1 sheets in half long way you will get twice as many loads per box and it cleans just fine that way.

Roberta
Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueanne View Post
If your wooden deck looks dull swab the deck using a mop dampened with cold black tea. Steep 5 to 10 tea bags in 2 quarts of hot water, then let cool. Use a well wrung mop or a clean damp rag for railings. Go over one small area at a time, wiping dry with a soft cloth or paper towel. The tannin in the tea will lightly stain, blending uneven blotches and leaving a nice shine.
______
Sueanne
Great idea, Sueanne!
I use tea and coffee to dye/stain all types of items.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy View Post
Good point, Kell.

Sometimes I just write on a scrap paper and slip it IN the bag with the contents.
I do this when putting dry ingriedents into a jar....just slip in a piece of paper, or even my favorite recipe for that ingredient.
My cornstarch is in an old mayo jar, with my fav recipe for country pepper gravy!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thumbs up

Lately I've been harvesting my next door neighbor's sunflower, squash, cucumbers, beans......his crops are ready to go, and he isn't going to use it all, so invited us over to tend to things. My friend with birds loved the sunflower heads, and we are eating huge yummy cukes, and beans....squash isn't ready yet.
We are growing small pots of basil and catnip at home.

Money is tight, so we have been getting really creative with dinners. I'm only buying fresh items: eggs, bread, milk, meat......all else is whatever we have in the pantry.

I've mixed the leftover bottles of hair conditioner with water in an old downy bottle. When that is gone, I'm using vinegar in the rinse cycle.....might try that foil idea in the dryer.

I made 2 gallons of homemade laundry soap more than 3 months ago. Still have 1/2 gallon left. Cost me $2 to make.

I'm going thru my fabric stash and getting all those household projects finished. Cat toys, potholders, dishcloths, car seatcovers, nightgowns.....

We are going fishing more now....it sure helps with getting fresh fish into our diets. We cannot afford it otherwise. Caught 10 Mangrove Snapper, a Spanish Mackerel, and a Stingray last Monday. Enough for 3 meals. And yes....Stingray is delicious!
I'm keeping my eyes open for crabs and shellfish, too....

Old 07-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Nine Year Member

Double The Life Of Cut Flowers

To keep blooms fresh through the week, drop a piece of charcoal into the water filled vase before adding the bouquet. The pourous briquette will act a a filter trapping contaminates to keep the water fresh.
________
Sueanne