Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:13 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

No problem gals-

Sweats are just so comfy in the winter and in summer, as shorts when your just "bustin" around the house.

Anna
Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hehe--I can't cut off my old sweats...dh swipes them for garage rags lol!! Maybe I could just let him have the legs?

We wear warmer clothes in the winter, too. Last year the thermostat was set at 62--the only time it was a problem was when my mil visited. She likes it warmer. Though we bumped it up a bit on super-cold nights. I couldn't believe how much people's gas bills were compared to ours--and all because they couldn't just throw on a sweater!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb how to refill a swifter cleaner container

okay ladies, i got this figured out. when your swifter bottle gets emptied get a screwdriver and pry off the lid. the inside of the lid has nubs that connects it to the bottle. you will gently break those nubs as you go around the bottle lid. the lid should screw off after breaking all the nubs. your lid will then have a flared edge. take a pair of scissors and cut that flare off so it will resemble a bottle cap. refill your bottle and screw the cap back on. This tip will save us BIG $$$.

Paige
Old 09-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You can also refill those oil air freshners that plug into an outlet. Just pry out the "wick", refill it with scented oil, potpourri, or even cologne/perfume. snap the wick back in, and you're done!

Old 09-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've got one...

Someone-(sorry but I forgot just who)-posted on one of the boards that in order to keep fruit fresh and ready to use, put pineapple juice in a bowl and add the fruit. Well, I had veggies that needed to be ready-to-use for dd's lunches and I thought about putting salted water in a ziplock back and then adding the veggies. It worked out perfectly! I could take them out and they were preserved and there was no waste. I even put the salted water and veggies in little lunch containers and stacked them up in the fridge so all I had to do was grab them and throw them into dd's lunches.

At the end of the week I just used the rest, but it wasn't necessary because one of the containers with celery sticks for dd's lunches is over a week old and is still in perfect condition.

So, that's my tip!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Yep, we do the sweats thing too. Last year, I hit the big sales after Thanksgiving and bought us new sweats BOGO. The old ones were added to the nightclothes wear. We all sleep in Tshirts as well. DS also likes thermal pjs and I found him to pairs at yard sales for 50 cents a pr. One thing I do like though....Hanes makes a great t-shirt sleepshirt. Ive had one for over 5 years and its just about worn out. Hate the thought of spending $20. to replace it though.

There is a cleaner from the Dollar Tree called AWESOME. One of DHs buddies recommended it. He says it will clean anything. It must work because this guy refuses to shop at dollar stores and only tried it because his mother insisted! I bought some and I will let you know how it works.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've seen the "Awesome " cleaner @ Dollar Tree and Dollar General, but have never tried it. Let me know if it's good stuff!

Old 09-11-2003, 06:12 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Funny you all should mention AWESOME. My sister just recommended it to me over the weekend--I'm simply waiting for payday to make my trip to the dollar store lol!! She swears by it, and she's pretty picky(meaning: she'd never make her own cleaners lol!)
Old 09-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a clorox wet jet mop and I refill the bottle with window cleaner (ammonia and water). I also cut up pieces of felt or fake chamis cloth to make reusable pads. This works great believe me, I have my own cleaning business and I use these all the time.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

AWESOME....

Been using Awesome for years. Best concentrate on the market for all household jobs. Can use full strenght or concentrated so lasts a long time. Appliances shine like new. Even countertops have a shine. Floors & tile come streak free. Real safe to use too. No Acids...No Bleach...No Ammonia..Non Flamable. If you see it in the store buy a few since they run out fast.

Last edited by Sueanne; 09-11-2003 at 06:35 PM.