Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:12 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jayne, I mix my fabric softener half and half with vinegar. I used to use just plain vinegar because it's far cheaper. It works but didn't get the clothes quite as soft as I like them. I decided to buy a really cheap brand of softener and mix it half and half with the vinegar and it works beautifully. I have laundry to do today so I'm going to try the tin foil trick in the dryer. That is such a great idea.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 12-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cafe I finally got around to trying the aluminum foil trick and all I can say is: NO MORE fabric softener for me! I love the smell of Tide and now I can smell it on my clothes even after drying because that foil tip worked fantastically well. I dried a load of whites (everything from undies to cable knit tights to towels) and there wasn't a hint of static in the entire load.

THANK YOU for that tip. I have since shared it with everyone in my e-mail address book, along with an invitation to visit the best webite on the Internet!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 12-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How did you fold the foil? Did you roll it into a ball or into squares or ??

Wonder why this works? Anyone have any ideas as to why it does? HHHMMMM!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-12-2002, 03:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just tore off a big sheet of foil, (about 14"-15") long. I then folded it into a square. (about 4x4). You can use it over several times. When it starts falling apart, I replace with new.
I am still trying to figure out how and why it works.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks ! Im going to give it a try too!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-16-2002, 10:18 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I can't wait to try this tomorrow, I'm not quite as amazed as to how it works, but as to who figured it out??

Oh well, it sure beats the price of fab softener, and I thought too, maybe you will be able to smell your detergent better.

And I bet the foil wont stick to clothing, at least if it does it will be much more noticeable than a dryer sheet, and you won't walk around with foil stuck to yourself.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:31 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I can just see trying to explain to someone as to why you have a 15" strip of foil stuck to the back of your sweater.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 12-16-2002, 05:20 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh my gosh that is so funny I was thinking more in the lines of my kids going to school with a piece of foil stuck to their back.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:18 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hmmm....I don't use my dryer much, but will keep that in mind. I wonder how this was found out? I would be a bit scared to just toss tin foil into the dryer....

I love reading these tips! Some of them I've been doing for a while, but I always find a new one to try every time I check out the boards!!

My favorite is not wasting food. Seems obvious, but I shudder to think of all the meals I just tossed out, not knowing better lol! I now save everything--even stuff the kids leave on their plate(can be their lunch later in the week--just label and freeze). We're not big soup eaters, but I still save all the little odds and ends--makes a great "buffet" dinner! And afterwards, anything that can get composted, does! I even read a tip about poultry bones--after boiling all the meat off and making broth(of course;-) ) bake the bones until they're dry and white, smash them and add them to your flower beds.

I also wash baggies(ds's teacher probably thinks I'm nuts. I asked her to be sure his baggies come home with him lol). I make almost everything from scratch, and the things I don't I probably don't have a recipe for! I can and freeze lots of stuff from our garden in the summer. I wash most of our clothes in cold water(except dh's work clothes--ew!), and my clothes I can usually get away with skipping the soap and just using baking soda. They are usually not "dirty", just "worn". I hardly ever buy cleaning products--I use baking soda, vinegar, and bleach for just about everything.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:21 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

baby wipes

Since my neighbor just had her baby, I was thinking about this and haven't read it anywhere here, so here's a frugal tip for baby wipes.

Lots of people make their own using paper towels--I tried it and they were rotting before I could use them up. What I found worked better(especially since I use cloth diapers) is to buy a bunch of baby washcloths(a dozen or so, depending on how often you want to wash them.) Then use equal amount water, baby soap, and baby oil in a squirt bottle(like a sport-cap top). Just squirt and wipe. It's gentle on baby and costs just pennies! Also, buy a large box of cornstarch instead of talc(or the overpriced containers in the baby section!), and use plain old petroleum jelly instead of rash cream. My kids' pediatrician was surprised that I was using these things--she recommends them, btw, but was impressed that I actually was doing it. I told her I don't make a dr's salary and couldn't afford all the extras lol!