Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-30-2002, 06:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Living with someone who ISN'T frugal

Any suggestions for living with someone who has NO INTEREST in being frugal? OK, maybe four someones if you include the kids. Any ideas on how to motivate them, encourage them, include them in 'the fun'?

It's frustrating to be doing all this work and find out they go out for fast food every night I'm at school!

Thanks, Dawn
Old 08-30-2002, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

That's a good question. I find that my dh wants to be frugal, but his idea of being frugal is totally doing without when things get tight, rather than doing things inexpensively along the way so that things aren't so tight. Our biggest problem area is eating out.

Do you have the book Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy? There's a chapter in there that addresses this subject. It talks about converting them to being frugal by showing them the savings. You might be able to find this at your local library.

Good luck!
Angela
Old 08-30-2002, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Library is closed on Fridays, but I'll check for it next week! Thanks.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

dawny

I think we are married to the same person...lol!

I have no idea...I wish I knew.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:25 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Dawn,

Do you have a crockpot? You could perhaps start something on the mornings that you have school so it'll be done at dinnertime. That way they can't go out without wasting the food you cooked for them. You could also perhaps freeze a meatloaf on some weekend and thaw it to be popped in the oven right before you leave for school so it's cooked by the time dinnertime comes around. Just a couple suggestions. It just seems to me that if you've already made the food, they cannot in good conscience go out for fast food. Good luck.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-04-2002, 11:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

dh is not very frugal

There are things that my dh does not believe we should have to do because we are a two income family!

I think we spend way to much money and should save more money...

So here is what I've done so far...

We used to rotate nights for picking up dinner... nothing expensive... Costco Pizza X-large $10.75 (with taxes) or hotdogs, burgers etc.... Now I tell my dh that I have no money but he is free to pick up dinner if he has the extra money! This has helped me save more money for other family projects or expenses... he usually doens't pick up dinner as often anymore... because I'm not asking him too... plus he knows we have a fridge full of food to be eaten... and you only have to be a little creative to make something quick!

I put my kids on a budget for back to school shopping... gave them a set dollar amount and when that was spent they got no more... so that made my dd (who's 11) think twice about every purchase! She's usually better dressed then her parents... that has stopped!

I picked up snacks at the dollar store and my kids have adapted to not having single servings of everything... my dh does miss his oreos!

And I basically continue to remind everyone that I am on a budget and don't have any money for extras this month... but they can try me next month!

Good luck! We all need it! They will eventually learn and understand why we do the things we do...

Lourdes
Old 09-07-2002, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

non-frugal partner

Hi! Well, I don't have your problem of dh wanting to eat out all the time; but, perhaps if you started your dinner in the crockpot before you leave in the mornings, and they have hot meal to come home to, it would help. Also, have you thought of perhps rewarding the kids if they encourage Dad to eat at home? Tell them you will put a $1.00 back for them for every dinner they eat at home, so they can buy something special once a month? That may seem expensive, but compared to fast food? And, they would be getting better meals to boot! Good luck and God bless.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frugal

As far as meals....maybe you could make up a casserole or have something cooking in a crock pot for them so they don't have to think of something to eat for supper.

Blondie
Old 09-08-2002, 04:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Be sneeky

What I do is get my hubby to give me cash for groceries, ect, the amount I tell him I need is sligtly more than I do. Save the change in a hidden spot and you'll have a little to sneek into savings each week

Amanda
Old 09-08-2002, 04:49 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Savings

What I do is when I deposit my paycheck into the credit union, I put most of it in checking and a little bit into savings. Now my check is never very big to begin with so it's just dribs and drabs but I figure every little bit helps!

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa