Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wonderful idea Missy Gordon!

Why couldn't I think of that! lol

janet
Old 08-22-2002, 01:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Conserving water:

Rain barrels and mosquitos: Why not affix screens (like the kind on your windows) over the top of barrels to keep out the bugs?

Garden:
1)Ruth Stout is an author who talks about 6-8 inches of mulch at all times. It really cuts down on the water needed.
2)Also, you might try foliar feeding (spray water mixtures on the leaves)--the water gets used much more efficiently, and is a great addition to soil waterings. You can add all sorts of organic fertilizers and whatnot to your waters as well. Probably the cheapest additive is leftover kitchen produce in small quantities mixed with water---the food nutrients can be used well by the plants.

Toilets: Ever thought of waterless toilets? There's a really interesting book, with some unheard of ideas (and the guy has been safely/cheaply doing it since the 70s). It requires a little bit of know-how, but is very easy in its application. Go here for interesting/practical thoughts on the subject: http://www.weblife.org/humanure/
Old 09-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We have been receiving way too much rain here lately...Our drains could not handle it all and the ground is mushy! We have gotten 3 bad storms and damage was a little here at my home but others had bad luck with lightning and high winds...canoes flying, and some one had their outhouse blown over! YUCK! (summer cottage)
I think our lake level is up now!

janet
Old 09-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lake levels up - that's what we need on the SC/GA border in Lake Hartwell. Where water used to be, we now have grass and sandbars. The docks are way up on dry land, so sad. The Lake is taken care of by the Army Corps of Engineers and some people have threatened a federal lawsuit over the low lake levels. Nothing has happened yet to bring them back to normal.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Something really simple to do is to keep a jug near the kitchen sink and when running the water to get it hot for dishes fill the jug with the water as it heats up. So many times we let that first cooler water run down the drain without thinking as we wait for it to get warm to wash our hands or do dishes,etc.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:43 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Slb,

That's a really good idea. I filter my drinking water in a big pitcher and it's always needing to be filled. I will get another container and use the water that runs first when I'm doing yet another sink full of dishes.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-18-2002, 09:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, you all have some great ideas on saving water. It is pouring rain and storming outside right now, but this is the first rain we've had in a month and we are more than 7 inches short so far this year of our average rainfall. Everything is/was bone dry. I started to water my gardens earlier this year and then we had a little rain and I never watered again as our rural water bill is high no matter what we do. We do turn the water off when we brush our teeth, shortened our showers and I wash dishes by hand, but I only turn the water on a little when I get a sinkful of dishes to rinse and work quickly to get them rinsed. I will start keeping a jug to put all the water we run to get hot for dishes or cold for cats to use elsewhere. There are some kind of pellets or cakes you can get for rain barrels that kill the mosquito larva without harming anything else, my brother collects rain water and uses them, I'm not sure if they bother pets or not and I don't know where he gets them. With the West Nile Virus invading our state 96 of 99 counties now, he has emptied his. He also had the screens over them. Thanks for the baking soda and vinegar hint, I had heard this but couldn't find the recipe so will try this. About septic tanks, I use RidX about once a month especially if we have company and have used it for a long time and it seems to help. Our plumber said clorox isn't so bad unless you use a lot, but a lot of the other cleaners and soaps really mess up the septic systems. Another big no no I've found for septic systems is cigarette butts and kleenex or anything besides toilet paper and even different brands of toilet paper can cause problems. I have also been working on mulching and then using the pet water on the base of the plants when I put fresh in every morning, the plants are looking great even though it is dry. I sure wish we had our gray water separate from our toilet, so we could use it to water plants, but then the septic system probably wouldn't get enough water run through it. My mom uses dish pans in her sinks and then uses that water for her potted containers. One more thing I used to do was use my fish water to water my plants, they loved it. I think I also read where someone said you could use water from boiling potatoes after it has cooled, but I don't know about that for sure. Anxious to see what else people come up with. Janie
Old 09-23-2002, 06:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

saving water

Sorry, I missed the name of the last person who wrote, but she wondered if saving the water from boiling potatoes was a good idea. Not sure about that, but I do know that you can save the water from boiling eggs for hard-boiled. It's not a lot, but I do cool it off because there are certain nutrients in it from the egg shells that the indoor plants like. Just enough to give those guys a little drink.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Blondie29697,

Thanks for the advice on the brick thing...I didn't know that! I won't be putting a brick in my potty!

janet
Yeah I also heard about the disintegrating brick problems. We got a huge smooth stone in our toilet tank instead.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

re: water from boiling potatoes

YES, you can! I use the water from boiling or steaming veggies or pasta. DO let it cool, though, as hot water can damage your plants. Besides the obvious water value, the starches and nutrients that are boiled "out" of the foods are "in" the water, and can be used by your plants. Why pour that down the drain?

I have already watered my green beans with water from steaming my green beans. (That seems a bit twisted, huh?)