Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When I was a graduate student I had a baked potato or popcorn for breakfast. On a good day I could supplement that with milk or peanuts. Those days I was also very skinny. National geographic in 2014 ran an article, I think a series of articles, on the difference between food poor and food insecure. very revealing and worth it to us to read that series. I read one up at camp this weekend and will see if I can check the rest out of the library. Maybe report on it in my blog thread.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-05-2015, 06:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here is the link to the National Geographic Series

National Geographic Future of Food Series

funny that I thought getting the twelve issues from the library would be easier than finding it online !

this is the digital age!

Old 05-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ELLEN - I ate a lot of macaroni when I was single. Back them it was like .29/1 lb. box. I could get several meals from a box, sometimes with catsup mixed in! LOL
When I went from first job to 2nd, I would stop at café there, and get a glass of ice water (free), and those packs of crackers that are always out, with whatever condiments they had available. That was dinner.

My highlight of the week was going to Mom's on Sunday for a home cooked meal! I never gave her any indication of my situation - so when she would send home leftovers I was in heaven.

Once in a great while I would buy a lb. of ground beef to go with macaroni. what a treat. I would sometimes buy a 1 lb. bag of soup beans (.39) and that would last many a day.

No pop, or snacks - EVER at home. It was also a treat to go to a friend's house on a rare weekend evening off - cause they always had snacks and pop.

Ramen came into my life at that time as well - after I met Glen, cause he lived on that stuff.

It is amazing what we do, just to make ends meet. But I survived and stayed healthy despite it all.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ha! we do manage and never fear our future...

I would take jobs at food establishments and then (gasp eat clean leftovers or scrape the pots)

eating crackers and getting a free glass of water was also de rigeur like you said.

I had forgotten about macaroni...and eating at places and locations on campus...I attended many lunchtime lectures on really different topics just to get that free pizza slice

Did you do ketchup and potato chip crumble sandwiches? some of the fellows I went to school with lived on those, where they got the chips I dunno!

Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think it is easy to say I did it so others should be able to do it to. Poor nutrition means kids don't learn. Kids who do not learn never get decent jobs. It is a vicious circle. Working in the schools I was amazed at how many kids from higher class families still ate junk daily.I don't believe in handing out money to all but do feel we need to help those who are in need.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I also used food stamps when I was between jobs, that really helped

Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ELLEN - I never did that, because I couldn't afford chips! But today I love to put chips on bologna or hamburger sandwiches. I love chips with catsup.

CAU - I see people who have plenty of money for food, whose kids eat nothing but junk today! THOSE parents need to be more accountable.
The free breakfasts and lunches really help here, as does the weekend food that is sent home.

I have no qualms helping those in need - just over the generational abusers! That is the biggest percentage of people who are on SNAP in IN.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I came across this article where a family of 5 eats for $70 a week though she does say now that the kids are a bit older she is spending $100 a week but that still works out to being $20 a person.

How to Feed Your Family Healthy meals on $70 a week

Roberta
Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ROBERTA - cool, I saved the site to read. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Roberta thank you , I signed up for update