Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Very interesting. I have tried to work out what it costs over here but am getting confused with converting imperial to metric!

What are miracle whip, saltines and grape jelly? I am guessing miracle whip is similar to an aerosol cream?

I have made a note of all the advice ready for when we are in our new home as I will need to be super frugal as we will have a bigger mortgage, plus more expensive council tax and petrol to budget for.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Miracle Whip is a condiment for sandwiches, in salads, etc.
Miracle Whip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saltines are crackers Saltine cracker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grape Jelly is like Jam but without the fruit pieces Jelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liz I went to a conversion site and they say $29.00 USD = 18.85 GBP so for 2 you would double that to spend $37.70 GBP a month. One way to save a bit would be to buy larger sizes and split it with your parents.

Roberta
Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Roberta.

It would be tight to manage on that money, are people expected to buy toiletries and such like with this money, or do they get another fund for this?

Thank you for the links, I was way off with the miracle whip, but when I saw salad cream I now know what it is.

Good idea about buying larger sizes and sharing with my parents.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well I lost my post seems I had the page open to long and FC lost internet connection with my computer, weird.

Liz, The SNAP program is "cold" food only (wont pay for hot deli food but will pay for cold) nor "Vitamin" water but will regular bottled water. But as we know you can clean with & boost your laundry using baking soda, vinegar (which are "baking items" and covered) and hot water. Any paper products, pet, cleaning, personal care (shampoo, deodorant), etc. items are not covered under the program.

The $$ amount does very by family size and income levels though I believe the $29 a week per person is probably the average. FIL's gf only received $18 a month but she was at the higher income level while I get $37.57 a week per person as we are at the lower income level and have 2 children. That amount will change in May with dd1 officially being off our account.

Roberta
Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Roberta

Thanks for doing all the research for Butterfly on what the items are. And weird they don't allow vitamin water but do allow you to buy cases of Soda (Pepsi, Coke) and energy drinks like the brand Monster. I saw it all the time at GFS people buying cases of Monster Energy Drink on sale 24 of those is $35.00. Crazy!

Anna
Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I don't understand the system at all. What difference does it make if the deli chicken you are buying is cold (pays for) or hot (not paid for). I'm guessing on the Vitamin waters because it is tagged as Vitamin it isn't covered because they don't pay for vitamins, etc.

Seeing what dd1 can get with WIC, plain Kelloggs Special K cereal and not any of the flavored ones where the register kicks it out there should be a way that SNAP can stop paying for soda & candy, etc.

Roberta
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

They need to it really disgusted me working at GFS to see them buying cases of Monster Drink and boxes and boxes of candy bars, bags of chips and there was not a thing we could do about it but smile and say "have a nice day". Sams Club, Costco are even more lenient.

Pop and Candy are not a food group. If WIC can hammer down I don't know why Snap can't too.

Anna
Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna many resell the snacks or candy bars to others on the street to make a few extra bucks. I am torn on the pop or sweets. Just because you are poor does not mean you can't celebrate you kids birthday with pop or cakes. There are times you want your family to feel normal again. So if I bought a steak or roast to celebrate I would make eggs or waffles or HM soup for the rest of the week. But felt it was worth it.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

The thing about SNAP is that it is a "supplemental" program. No one is supposed to have to buy ALL their groceries with it. It is to supplement any other monies.

There was a local company here, that challenged all their employees to take the challenge. for a week. (Just 2 weeks ago) The owner donated $25 per each person who participated, to the local food bank.

He said his employees said it was quite easy to do. Most spent less than that per person in their household per week anyway. We never spend that amount of money. YES, I do garden and can, but I could do it too.

I remember years ago, when I was single, I lived on about $5 per week (on a good week). No my meals weren't all nutritious, but I survived for 2 years that way.
I guess it just depends on what your priorities are, at that time, mine was paying off bills. I worked 2 jobs 6 days a week, and 1 on the 7th day.

Many people who get SNAP have children, who are eligible for FREE breakfast and lunch at school. That means they only have to provide one hot meal a day for the kids. Many schools here also send home weekend bags with kids, so they have plenty. We also have summer lunches available for kids when not in school (FREE).
Then there are also food pantries, which give food for FREE.

I am not trying to be judgmental, as I have walked the walk before. You just do what you have to do.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DD2 received the weekend pack back in the day, it is given out to 1st-3rd graders to those on the free breakfast & lunch program, those receiving a free lunch did not qualify for it. The school is in the low income section of town and 60% or more of the kids received at least free lunch so they as a school qualified for a free fresh fruit program where on Friday's they would receive a piece of fruit in the afternoon.

Salvation Army does the summer lunch program here and they only deliver lunches to the 5 apartment complexes in town. I've seen kids in dd2's class walking to the closest apartment complex from their house for their lunch.

Roberta