Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 04-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You did really well figuring out a month of food Anna. You would get twice as much with the two of you which would enable you to buy fruit, veggies, juice, spices, etc. to add more variety to the menu.

I really think the public and tax payers are at a disadvantage not being given the tools to learn how to cook a whole chicken/pot roast/pork butt, etc and make them work for 3 different meals.

Most people I've talked to in the grocery really have no clue how to plan menu's based on what is on sale this week. They buy what they are out of this week and not buying 4 lbs of chicken at $.99 lb for 1 meal each week for the month, etc. So the next week they will be paying $1.99 lb for the same chicken.

Roberta
Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow Anna that is a great guide for frugal eating, thank you for putting this together. I will definitely be using it as a guide for us.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cheryl and Ellen

Yes this menu was for one person as that was what the lady originally set her challenge for. So yes for 2 it would definitely have had some more flexibility to it but I really wanted to see if I could do it on what she challenged at one person.

And Roberta.. yes buying in bulk even if only for one month definitely allows more versatility in the meal planning.

MissMoneyPenny

I wonder why your cheese is so expensive when you are right across the border from the USA.??

Glad I was able to get you all to thinking and hopefully you'll accept the challenge to post your monthly menu on here as well.

Anna
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I still like to cook one chicken at a time for the meal. I usually cook it without boiling in a large turbo cooker or dutch oven and add vegetables for flavor and some water as it cooks to keep it moist & browned. Can do it in a covered pot or roasting pan in the oven the other two chickens. Still have enough for another meal and sandwiches. Found you need some beef for iron as you get older so not to get anemic. Nothing like a roast beef or pork roast on sale sliced thin next day for lunch.

Found that a daily smoothie with fresh fruit cleanses the system and gives you more energy. Even my doctor noticed the difference in my blood work. A Diabetic diet is supposed to be healthier for everyone.
_________
Sueanne

Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sueanne

Cooking chickens one at a time is good when you have the money to go shopping next week.

This thread is for people on food stamps. I designed the menu so they cook all 3 at one time, divide and freeze so they would have meals through the month. I'm assuming most people on food stamps don't have a lot of freezer space so cooking, deboning and freezing in a regular freezer top of your fridge free's up space. Most people I have seen on food stamps usually spend most of their food stamp money in the first week they get them. And on a budget of $116 that has to last a month, beef was not affordable unless it was on sale at a reduced price.

My whole focus was on the challenge of 1 person $29 a week.

Living in Florida you would have more access to fresh fruit at more affordable prices than say here in Ohio where we are dependent most of the year on fruit being "in season" which is why you don't see a lot of fresh fruit on the menu here. The fresh fruit I did list has to be eaten within the first 2 weeks of the month, the last two they are dependent on canned fruit.

Apples here right now are not in season, won't be till about July and a bag of apples about 8 is $2.99 right now in a bag and took up too much of the budget so I went with applesauce.. I didn't look at the ounces at Aldi's the other day when I quote the price but it was larger than a quart about a half gallon size.

The menu I posted had to be not only affordable but healthy.

Anna
Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wish the Snaps program gave some education on non-meat proteins which when using dry can be super cheap vs. relying on meat for the protein. Like ham & beans which is 90% beans and only 10% ham plus onions & carrots.

And the correct meat portion size is 3-4 oz not the 6-16 oz of some pork chops, chicken breast and steaks in the grocery and at restaurants. It's no wonder so many have issues with being over weight and the many health issues that go along with it.

Buy a whole pork loin on sale for $2.19 and have it sliced into 1/2-1" slices and package up into meal sizes and you have 3-6 meals out of it vs paying $3.99 lb on sale or more for 1 meal of boneless pork chops.

I read a while back to have variety of meat when on sale you buy 4 weeks worth. Hamburger on sale this week you buy X lbs to get you through the next 4 weeks, chicken on sale next week you buy X lbs to get your through 4 weeks, next week pork loin is on sale, etc. That way you always have 3-5 types of meat to serve bought on sale at anyone time.

I also read that you can make up on index cards 45 meals that you family likes then make out your grocery list for the month of the ingredients needed for those meals BUT if chicken, etc. isn't on sale this week you put that card toward the back of the 20 meals and wait until it is on sale to pick it up. When you master grocery list is finished then those 20 cards go to the back of the stack and the next month you work on serving #21-40 cards and so on.

Last month had a great sale on canned tomatoes so you bought what you would need for your 45 meals and don't need to pay regular prices instead pull the tomatoes from the cupboards.

Takes a little bit of work to set it up but after the initial list of ingredients you will know how many to buy for the 2 1/2 months of recipes that you would only need to pick up the fresh ingredients that week.

Roberta
Old 04-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This is such an informative thread. I have cc'd the posts out to my computer and called it the $29 food challenge. Thanks ladies!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-28-2015, 09:16 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaInOhio View Post
MissMoneyPenny

I wonder why your cheese is so expensive when you are right across the border from the USA.??

Anna
We Canucks wonder the same.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ROBERTA - great ideas!!!!
we eat a lot less meat as we get older. we do have 1 - 2 meatless nights a week.
We make portions smaller than when we were younger too, and fill in with veggies.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My family really does not eat many canned or frozen veggies so I pick out my produce first. I always buy in season which helps. I also buy things like root veggies, celery & carrots in bulk & use my processor to slice them . I put them in a big bowl mix & package together . That way I can pull out a package for hm soups, stews & cottage pies. I avoid going to the store in the middle of the week by substituting something else or changing my menu.