Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Basic Recipes For The Menu Items I listed

Chicken & Noodle Soup

Cook all 3 of your chickens in 2 or 3 pots of water, cook at least one hour per chicken. Cool, Debone. Use most of your chicken for a large batch of chicken and noodles, save some out for chicken sandwiches. Freeze all of it for later meals.

This recipe is for just the chicken and noodles, no veggies added.

Recipe for Noodles:

Egg Noodles Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Vegetarian Vegetable Soup:

1 jar spaghetti sauce
4 bags mixed veggies
1 or 2 chopped onions

Vegetarain Chili:
2 lg. cans chili beans (see shopping list)
1 lg. can diced tomaotes
1 Jar spaghetti sauce
2 onions

Servings: About 20

Meatloaf: Simple

1 lb. Turkey Burger
1 1/2 sleeves of crushed saltines ( I use a rolling pin to crush mine)
1 onion chopped or diced with a knife
2 eggs
1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce

Mix all together, put in a casserole type pan and bake at 350 F for at least 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. I use a square pan not a bread loaf pan.

Salmon Loaf

1 can salmon
2 eggs
1 onion chopped chopped or diced with a knife

Mix all together, put in a casserole pan again I use a square pan and bake at 350 one hour or make into patties and fry in a skillet.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 04-27-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:56 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cheryl

I missed her answer. She does fantastic but she also has a large garden which for the general population might not be possible especially if you live in a apt. with no land as even here in Columbus we have a lot of.

Anna
Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cheryl also I am physically handicapped & unable to get up & down on my own . Gardening doesn't work for me.

Anna I have lived on food stamps in the past. Once Art was hurt at work &off for 6 months. The insurance company fought the workmans Comp.& we did not get it until he went back to work. That taught me to stock pile. As soon as I could I bought a freezer& that helped as I bought extra meat all spring , summer & fall so come winter I had plenty. It can be done but it sure is not fun or that healthy. If you are on any special diet, like dh's salt free,it is especially difficult

Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

There are a lot of different things that make up the Food Stamp allotment I believe the $29 a week would be for an older adult. Children & pregnant women get more allotted to them and the lower your income the higher your food stamp allotment is.

I was used to spending $25 a person a week with the kids eating breakfast & lunch at school. And that included the occasional take out meal. But I was shopping the sales and using coupons so we were eating well.

If I was in charge I would take away pop & candy though I'm not sure how that would be able to be done. I can't get a hot deli roasted chicken but I can get a cold one, doesn't make sense to me. I would also design a "cookbook" on how to use dried beans, non-instant rice, 15 lb bag of potatoes vs a bag of chips, etc.

If you have grown up on using convenience foods you don't know what to do with a bag of beans.

Roberta
Old 04-27-2015, 06:46 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Roberta

Absolutely on the beans.. I still don't as it is hit or miss that they come out right so we just do canned which in a emergency situation heats up much faster but that's a different topic. I hope that this will start to be a regular thread to keep us motivated to stay focused on menu budgeting and menu planning. I know this has been on my mind a lot lately since I read that article that started this thread. I am blessed now to be able to garden but as I get older it may be more of a challenge, so many things I have depended on dh to do in the past like running the tiller that today he can not physically do. Just finished mowing and see my apple tree has lots of blooms on it so looks like another good year for my apples, praying my friend Melissa's Mom doesn't cut her tree down this year so I can glean even more apples from her tree.

And on the gardening.. I'm going to try for the back yard this year but the new puppy thinks she's King of The Mountain back there and I've seen her on top of my storage tubs full of dirt LOL! So I'll have to use some fencing to try to keep her out of my raised bed garden.

Yesterday at Family Dollar they had seed packets 4 for $1.00. Out of tomatoes completely but they did have jelapeno peppers I bought 3 packets and will be trying to plant those on the outside of the yard this year and hope no one steals them. But if so, 75 cents out of pocket.

Anna
Old 04-27-2015, 06:52 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I updatded my "Useful Kitchen Tools" to include a couple more items that can usually be found in the thrift stores that are affordable.

Anna
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Block Cheese Versus Convenience Cheese Prepared

I mentioned in one of the post here that you can buy a 5 lb. block of cheese at GFS. It is cheaper to buy in a block and you can slice, shred or cube your cheese to fit your needs instead of paying for separate pkgs. and paying more money to have it done for you.

I posted Useful Kitchen Tools here that can be found in yard sales, thrift stores etc. usually pretty cheaply to help you out.

Anna
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good morning to you, Anna!

What a super informative thread!!! Love it!

One area where we Canadians really take a hit and pay the price (literally), is cheese. Cheese, is SOOO expensive here! We have friends who go down across the line (into the States) just to buy things like cheese, etc. So much cheaper.

Anyhow, thought I'd add my two cents to this wonderful thread off to a an already super duper start!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Anna not only is your block cheese less expensive it doesnt have the additives that are in the preshredded. They add stuff to keep it from clumping in the bag.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ANNA -I was adding in my head and it looks like you did the challenge with only getting SNAP for ONE person. Being 2 of you, your budget would almost double.

Good going on doing it for that money, but you could have gotten more had you figured for the 2 of you. The $29 a week is for one.
we have a friend who gets $118 per month for himself. And another friend (couple) who gets $236 for the 2 of them.