Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 06-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How creative, Nana! Way to go!!!:p
Old 07-11-2002, 05:07 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I bought an almost brand new freezer

I have wanted to purchase a freezer for years. I found one from one of my dh friend. They only had a hunk of lunch meat, and some vegetables in it. They wanted it out of their small kitchen (they live in a small trailer). They sold it to us for $100. They live right across the street so we did not have to pay for delivery either. I have not noticed a difference in my electric bill, But have noticed a difference in my grocery bill. Because now I can stock up on meat when it is on sale. Really helps on those low paycheck weeks..
Now if only I could find someone with a nice big refrigerator that they don't want.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 07-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I reuse a bottled water sports bottle with filtered tap water. I also reuse the little half pint water bottles. I put kool-aid or juice in them instead of buying those expensive juice boxes.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Most frugal Thing

When My children were younger and going to school in the winter I made mittens and hats out of old sweaters. Use the sleeves for the mittens. trace mitten size and sew before you cut it out. Use the waistband for the hat. They are even warmer if you shreank
(sp) the sweater first.

Thanks
Kathy
Old 09-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Eye make up remover

I fill a small container half full of warm water, squirt in a bit of my son's no tears baby body wash swich it good and throw in some dollar store cotton pads. Put a lid on it and let the pads absorb the liquid and you have gental eye makeup remover pads for less than $2

Amanda
Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

the most frugal thing I've done is shopped at at home first. The other day we got a new couch from a friend and instead of buying a new end table, I looked in the shed and found one I had had for awhile. I also covered it with fabric I already had. The end table also gives us extra storeage underneath it so I can store some of my craft stuff underneath it.

I'm also starting to reuse the boxes I've gotten from merchandise I've bought over the web.

Zig
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've done quite a few of the things already mentioned in this thread. I suppose I'd say the most frugal things I've done are:

1. rinse and re-use plastic baggies (that didn't have raw meat in them previously), and I have also saved and re-used aluminum foil

2. make homemade baby wipes, using the recipe I found on this very site

3. cook in advance as much as I can and freeze the proceeds (like when I get 5 lbs. of ground beef on sale, I give myself 24 hours to cook it- otherwise I might get lazy and it'll go to waste!)
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We curb side shop when available, shop garage sales, thrift stores, etc. first before buying new if we can't find what we are wanting.

Plant a garden freezing the excess for winter useage.

Use items until they die and are to old to fix instead of replacing every 5 yrs just because. We have a 25yr washer & dryer, 35 yr deep freezer, 20 yr old stove, 12 yr dishwasher. When the washer, dryer, and deep freeze die I'll replace instead of fixing they were used when we got them 20 yrs ago.

Roberta
Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think the most frugal thing I have done is make my own laundry soap and buy older vehicles.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Don't know if you call this frugal or not but....

When I was a single parent I picked berries to get enough money for gas so I could go to work.