What's the MOST frugal thing you've ever done? - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 04-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't know if this is the MOST frugal thing I do but it's one of the most fun. I do not buy magazines. I just refuse to pay 5 and 6 dollars for a few pages and ADS. But, I LOVE magazines. Ok..here comes the frugal part. The library, about every 3 months, puts all their magazines on a rack to sell...10cents a piece or 12 for a dollar. I buy almost all of them. I get the home magazines for myself....."wired" magazine for ds1...car magazines or ds2 (who LOVES sports cars)..and hunting and mens' magazines for dh (he also likes "wired", so sometimes they have to share that one). Everyone feels that they're getting a special, personal treat when I bring these home and divvy them up. Last time I got 13 magazines..a big whopping $1.10. (I also don't feel bad about throwing them away or donating them later because they weren't so expensive....less clutter).

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 05-05-2002, 04:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm new to this forum, but I have some tips - mind you they may not be for everyone!!!
I make my own laundry soap - it's easy and CHEAP!! Also, wash out baggies (that didn't have raw meat in them). Only shop at thrifts and garage sales - I got a pair of new Birkenstock sandals for me last week for $2 at a garage sale!! Grocery store is only a mile away, and if I need just a few items, I walk. The walk doesn't hurt my thighs any either!! DD's are moving into an apartment on campus, and we've furnished it completely with garage sale items. We've learned to "wait" on purchases if we can, we know we'll find it sooner or later! We drive our cars at least 10 years. We have one that's 12 years old and still going strong. Refill water bottles, don't turn on the air conditioning until at least June 1st, (we're in Atlanta), keep the heat down in the winter, we just layer clothing. DH takes all left overs to work in a microwave container (from garage sales), so there's no waste and no expensive lunches. Read the newspaper on line, the garage sales are posted every week loud and clear. Use coupons when possible. Funny story though - DD was upset with me because I wouldn't buy her a mop and a new bucket for her apartment - I thoroughly clean the bathroom (including the toilet, and then pour a bit of amonia (sp?) into the toilet and use a rag to wash the floor on my hands and knees. She was insulted!! She knows my stock answer, however, "Whatever YOU can afford honey". (By the way, SHE bought a bucket and mop for herself.) Oh well!!!
Old 05-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ditto for me too

I furnished dd's & ds's college apt.s from garage sales and hand me down furnishings and supplies. I had begun to save things that I might sold in my own garage sales about 2-3 yrs. before the fact (blankets, worn out towels-good enough to clean with- odd pots and pans and kitchen things...etc.) and also started watching the g.sales. They have all that they need, cute decor stuff, some unusual furnishings (like a handcrafted armoire by a Santa Fe furniture artist) and it didn't send us to the poor house. Now I'm doing the same for dd#2 and we've gotten some of dd#1's stuff back as she is gamefully employed and has bought some new furniture of her own....! It's alot of fun to furnish an apt. on a shoestring...or I think so anyway.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb share your skills

My husband is very handy, and is always learning new skills. We have a few friends who are also handy, and several of us are fixing up older homes.

We work on the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" principal.

Some examples:

My hubby helps out a friend with a concrete business. We got a new walkway put in for cost of materials only.

We built a computer for a friend (my hubby's PT self-employed business), in exchange for X hours of electrical wiring work.

Fixing a computer problem for our accountant at no cost, she did our taxes for us at no cost.

My hubby did some wiring at a friend's house. When he replaced his lawn mower, he gave us a good deal on his old mower just when ours broke the frame.

We gave a bucketload of unwanted Rhubarb plants to a farmer neighbor. He plowed our vegetable garden under 2 yrs in a row.

There are tons more examples. Not every deal comes out perfect - sometimes you feel YOU did more work, and other times you feel you've been given the silver platter. But it evens out in the end.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That is great mrs-helm! My parents did that kind of thing all the time when I was growing up. My DH has a large extended family that does things for each other all the time too. We just moved and we don't know anyone. We have some work to do to develop some friendships!
Old 05-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Don't laugh but the most frugal thing that I ever di was..... I had asked my dh to run to the store to get night time diapers for ds. WHen he came home they were not the size that I wanted. So.. They were close but the tabs would not stay secure on the diaper so we used DUCK TAPE over the tabs and secured them. I figured why waste the bag if they fit every where else we could make due with the duck tape.

Sue
Old 05-23-2002, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Frugal

This is a really good one. Whenever I tell this to anyone they give a weird look.
I love to cook. We travel a lot and you learn to make guick meals so when you pull into a campground it's not alot of cooking to do. Anyway, I bought a package (5 ) Italian sauages. The first meal I took two of the sausage out of the casings, saute it and made a Spag. sauce (that was enough for two meals) Then the second night I made stuffed peppers out of the other sausage, the next night I made stuffed eggplant, the next night I made an Italian Quiche. I didn't realize what I had done until later on. I 'd made five meals out of those five sausages. I always have had an imagination when it came to cooking but I'd never in my life done anything that frugal. When you want to save money I guess you can always find ways.
I also downloaded Stamps. Com and got $10.00 free postage, that you can print from your computer righ onto your envelopes. You can still do that, just go to Stamps. Com and see what they have to say. You can use it for a month but I usally keep it a few weeks then cancel. I've used it three times, the last time I got $25.00 free postage. Yep, sure did.
Didn't realize that I was that longwinded, sorry.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2002, 12:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here's my frugal idea for a father's day gift:

I saw a frame on a website that was absolutely adorable, but was $25 and I'm sure after s&h would probably cost $30. It was a double 5" x 7"frame with a "Daddy's Little Girl" poem on one side and a place for a picture on the other side. I figured I can make this on my own. I plan to edit a few lines of the poem and make it even more personalized for dh. I can pick out a frame that I like even better than the one on the website and create a nice gift for him. I figure I can do this for a lot less than $30 and it will be even more special.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

most frugal

I prepare income taxes for a firend and he keeps me supplied with firewood. He also uses his chainsaw to trim my trees.

My friend knows people with almond orchards and if a tree dies or blows over, he gets all the wood in exchange for hauling it away.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi. I collect coca- cola items for my kitchen, dining room and living room. My husband is 58 and has been totally disable for 5 years. So I don't have much money for anything (I am ill and have no insurance) To make a long story short, I go to coca-cola sites on the web, download simple pictures (coke bottle, ect.) Then I print them out on T-shirt iron on sheets and then put them on white napkins that I already had. Also I print out pictures and use white glue and put them on candles and flower pots. I took old clear plastic napkin rings and glued coke caps on them. Now I am going to make curtins for my kitchen with some cheap white material. I am also going to print some out on printer shrink-it and make knops for my cupards.
Charleeta