Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

getting rid of the landline

I am thinking about getting rid of our landline. Dh is against it. Has anyone done this? Pros and cons? If we do this will need to change our internet provider. I am getting prices on that now. I do know the internet would be better.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
This is a subject that I juggle with constantly. When we moved, I thought that I had decided to get rid of our land line BUT I ended up keeping it.

I don't know why but I feel safer having a land line and a cell phone. Is this crazy?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If you are crazy then so am I! lol

We don't receive ten calls a month on our landline. But dh doesn't want everyone at work to have his cell number. Like they would call him? I am thinking it is $35 a month we could put somewhere else.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
We don't receive that many calls, either, but what we do use it for is unlimited calling. That and the fact that my kids don't have to beat up my phone by talking on it---but we are thinking of getting my son a cell phone for emergencies so they could use that at home if we switch. I would just have to up our family plan times --and I'm not sure if that would end up costing us money to do that.

My kids talk to my mother in Pa. a lot and I use the phone a good bit. Other than that, my dh would never need a home phone because he hates talking on it.

See why I go round and round with it?

I've gone so many rounds with phone, internet and TV cable companies in the last 3 months that for now, I'm taking a break and keeping it they way it is. (unless I happen to find a great deal somewhere! ROFL!!)

Have you ever tried a VOIP line or Magic Jack or anything like that? I wonder if those really work???

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We now have a choice of internet providers. We used to have one, same one for the phone and cable. I rarely used the landline to call anyone. Everyone I talk to is on my circle. My kids are older, they each have a cell phone.

I will wait and see what wireless internet will cost me. Installation fees etc. But I do think the landline will be going bye bye.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have been thinking about getting rid of ours, but haven't brought the subject up with Dh yet. I know several people who have done it recently, but I haven't asked them how it is working out.
My kids that live away from home only have cell phones.
Would save me $$ every month.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I had plans to get rid of mine. Was able to get a line that cut my bill down, by only paying 14 dollars a month for it. I can received calls, but can only make 25 calls I believe it is, in one month, if I make more, which I will not, then it would cost me 10 a call. wow.
The operator said that it is safer to have a landline to make calls that we need a secure line.
I now get my internet along with the phone for 35, not bad.. Plus was able to get a kick back of 50 for combine the 2..
It hard to break that habit of having land line
and I figure paying only 14 is not bad, so I guess I will keep it around a little longer.

GOod question, like to see other comments about this subject.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I haven't had a landline since 2005. When I graduated with my AA and got a transfer scholarship to go to main campus, I knew I'd be moving around quite a bit. At the very least I'd move to main campus, then to graduate school, and then back home. During the entire time I am away at school, I would have to pay for long distance. We love our cell phones versus landlines. The cell phones can do so much more than a landline. We also don't have to keep up with 2 sets of phones too. DH gets his Internet through his cable company. I get mine from a box. I think now days you can use a flash drive to get Internet access. I wouldn't trade my cell for a landline at all.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I don't really care for cell phones-never really wanted to be accessable ALL the time; but we all have the pay as you go phones in case of emergencies when we're on the road-at least that's why I've made sure all the adults in the house have one.
But, if there's a storm and cell service is knocked out a landline is very handy. I've never had a problem during the worst storms with my landline-presently we get our landline,internet and cable through the same company-so I've even been able to stay online during a couple of our worst hurricanes.
I just feel more secure with a corded landline. We have one in the kitchen-all the other handsets are cordless-they're also useless during a power outage, but the corded landline still works.

Last edited by trekmom; 09-12-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have land line and a pay to go phone for the road. I have cordless phones but I keep a phone with acord in the storage desk for emergies.

Tree