Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 02-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If I had relatives that could not call me because of their landline, I might think differently. However, everyone I know either is local or they have cell phones so we are keeping our cells and no landline service.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We switched to digital phone through our cable internet company and it is only $20 a month for unlimited long distance and it works great for us, also it was cheaper than having the landline for long distance calls. We had a better deal with the digital phone bundled with our internet and cable and it is all in one bill.

We have our cell phones for emergencies or for the kids to call when they are at events and need picked up and such, also my cell phone is another camera besides my digital camera, so if we don't have our regular camera we can take photos with it. That is why I have that type of phone. Never know when you want to take a photo and it comes in handy. To each there own, but I like having a landline in case something happens with the cell phone. Plus with his work I would rather they call the landline and not a cell phone number. I don't know how many people I have heard have either lost or broke their cell phone.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Right there with you DB4BL - Posted a few years ago and still land line free.... of course it is just DH and I (since MIL's passing), but our monthly Bil w/o Taxes is still about $130/mo w/unlimited Texting, and discounts for having family /friends / associates who use the same cell service - which also happens to be our current Internet /cable company (its a bundled deal - but even at $120/ mo w/o taxes, it's a good deal) = $250/mo for both services is still way better than when we had a land line, cell phones (for work /travel), internet services, and cable/dish services. We even have an all in one printer that is wireless... It's a bit on the old side for an electronic item, but it still works (just needs a reboot / restart every day), when it's not being used as much as it use to - it's okay that it has a few issues. I would too!
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bilby

I'm confused? Here in America if you call someone from a landline to a cell phone, it only cost the person with the cell phone not the person with the landline.??

Is it different there?

Oh and we are still landline free.. since 2008.

Anna
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

As far as I can tell, no one has mentioned this: If you need to call 911 from your landline, they can trace the call and find your location even if you never say a word. Think about small children or visitors who can't give the address or elderly who are confused, etc. This is not always the case with a cell phone. Technology may be different now, but this is why we keep our land line. There is a locator in some smart phones. I'm not sure if this allows 911 to find you, but I know it can be dangerous to leave the locator on all the time. Stalkers (particularly of young kids) can use it to find where you are quite easily.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

M[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]KS , I am with you on keeping the landline. It is used by all here to be sure important calls are not missed. Cells are great & I have 1 but if I want to be sure I don't miss a call I use my landline . Voice mail will keep it as long as I choose and in case of emergencies I don't worry about cell towers. It is a personal choice! I have mine all together since IU have Uverse.[FONT]

Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have several customers that have dropped their landlines. My mother has dropped their winter home landline and have talked about not reinstating the summer home landline in May when they come home.

With all the gizmos out there that you can charge a cell phone without power I think that issue is pretty much nil.

Roberta
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have cell. My landline was 50 dollar for. Unlimited calls including long distance. They raised the cost to 69 dollars. My cell is 48 dollars and I have local longdistance and web. All unlimited. I like it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My local police force can trace a cell phone too. I have no worries.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We dropped our landline phone this past August when we switched cell phone companies.

There are lots of new video contests up for March drawings.
Contests & Prizes - FamilyCorner.com Forums

Roberta