Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 06-16-2010, 06:48 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We gave up our landline two years ago and don't miss it. Our friends/neighbors across from us also got rid of theirs at the same time, fortunately we are both Verizon.

I save $30 a month by not having a landline. My cell bill for dh and I is $62 a month and includes the taxes. Someone calling me it doesn't cost them anything, it costs me to call them if I call during "peak times". Dh and I calling each other cost nothing and we can call each other 24 hours a day, doesn't make a difference and the same with anyone else who is a Verizon customer anywhere in the US and I think even overseas?

When I want to chat with someone, I just wait till after 9pm or call on the weekends, of course there are exceptions but we have 500 minutes on each phone. We also have a online account and can check our minutes daily to see how close we may be to going over. Since I changed my plan two years ago I have never went over my minutes.

Anna
Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I got rid of my landline a few months ago and love the lack of ringing. But I love to enter contests and I won't give out my cell #. My dd and dgd (3 yrs) live with me now and she has no job, car or phone. The only way I can communicate with her during the day is online and I don't always have my email address open. Now, I am considering getting another landline just for security and safety reasons. There are definitely pros and cons to having either or both a cell and landline.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Wow, just this morning there was a news report about in one state the cell phone companies now have to list the radiation that each cell phone actually gives out. It also said you have a 40% greater chance of a brain tumor and developing alzeihmers (sp). Hmm...... wonder if this is really true?

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cat lover

I hear the same thing every few months and then studies come back that say No. We don't spend alot of time on our cell phones, usually 10 minutes max. If anyone is really worried, might be a good idea to get one of those ear piece things that everyone seems to have glued to their ears now days.

Anna
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face Land lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
I am thinking about getting rid of our landline. Dh is against it. Has anyone done this? Pros and cons? If we do this will need to change our internet provider. I am getting prices on that now. I do know the internet would be better.
I have been without a landline for 8 yrs. and have NEVER missed it for any reason. We use our cell phone for everything. ONE phone bill is enuff !!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We don't have a land-line... we have a phone line which is only for our internet and our Direct TV network. I don't miss the all hour "Spam" calls, and our Internet-work doesn't have a real phone-number on the line so our internet and DTV are never interrupted by these same "Spammers." Also, bc our cell lines are on DNC list we have a reduced amount of "spam calls." The down side is that families with teenagers and children may have to use the parents cell phones, and/or their own - which could lead to cell monitoring.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Still have a landline& keeping it. My kids come over to use it for business calls since the time gets eaten up on their cells and during a recent blizzard a few neighbors came over to use it as their cells had no service.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We still have both and don't get many "spam" calls after registering on the Do Not Call list.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I just realized that I posted a year or two ago on this thread. I still do not have a landline and do not miss it. The landline is not a bad thing. I did not dislike landlines. However, since I have to carry a cell phone for school and work and if I get a new job, the requirement is that I have a cellphone, it would be crazy for me to pay for a landline and pay for a cellphone. We pay about $130 for 2 phones as my DH has to have a phone too for his job.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It's not so much my calls on a mobile for those special rates, (on the same carrier) but not everyone can afford a mobile and those are the ones that I keep my landline for.
I have aged relatives that don't own or can't afford a mobile phone and I would not expect them to pay the extra fee to call my mobile, I think that is grossly unfair they'd not be able to ring me in an emergency if needed.