Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 06-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I keep the land line as it is easy to trace in an emergency and It does not go out. The cell phones do have problems in bad storms or sometimes just cus. We have different carriers for our cells and in our area Nextel does the best but sometimes it goes out in bad weather. I get unlimited landline and for $20.00 extra I get wireless internet. I actually want to switch to the AT&t tv but hate to give up my internet price.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We have both and I wouldn't give up the land line because cell phones will not work in a bad storm or a major disaster. We tried the pay as you go phones but we were actually paying more to keep those than we pay for the regular cell phones. Now we have a package deal where we get cell phones, land line and internet. We tried Magic Jack once and it didn't work and was a waste of money. I think just cell phones are great for college students though.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I won't get rid of our landline as I feel it's unfair for others that can't afford the mobile phone call to ring me the more expensive mobile phone way.
My mum couldn't afford to ring me at all if she had to ring my mobile, same for the boys and their friends.

Our phone bill each quarter is not huge by any means but I would not give it up.

I'm assuming here that 'landline' and 'home' (non mobile (cell)phone are the same)

Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We did give up our landline. When we moved we never got a landline either. Don't miss it at all. My kids are older, we all have cell phones and the cell phone package we have here is awesome. Local landline calls are free, all Kansas cell phone calls are free.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I haven't given up the landline yet, but I am still considering it. I am going to get rid of long distance on my landline. We use our cells to make most of our long distance calls already and I get charged a $10 minimum charged if I don't make enough calls.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What about people that want to ring you?
Your calls may be cheap but theirs may not ...... just curious.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Interesting topic as I have been considering getting rid of our landline too as it would save us $50+ a month. Right now we get our cable and internet through a company that also offers phone (landline) and I have thought of switching to a bundle package as the price for the first year is good but no idea what the price would go up to after the first year. So then there is the option of getting rid of our landline all together. I think my issues are that I do not want to be accessible 24/7 wherever I am and also whoever calls would have to have each of our cell phone numbers. My dks, dh and I all have cell phones and what seems to happen now is if someone can't reach me by cell (I almost never have my phone on) then they call dh's phone or one of the dks until someone answers. That is so annoying! Not sure of a solution to that one. Then I worry about going over our minutes. I would probably have to upgrade our plan and would that still end up saving us money? I, too, would love to hear from anyone who has gotten rid of the land lines and how it is working out.

~Mother Theresa

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

One of tmy son's and his wife got rid of their landline. They have a plan for 10 people on their cell phone that they can call and can call them and it doesn't go against their minutes. But for any other calls it does go against their minutes so sales calls are annoying to them beecause it cost them. They have signed up for the do not call list, but there are some that some how get around it. For the most part their cell phones work at home and other places, but they do drop calls sometimes. So far they said the most annoying thing is when they have business to do on the phone. Most places still put you on hold forever and that cost them quite a bit. They are still trying just the cell phone and see if it really saves them money or not. They are figuring it will depend on how much "business" they have to do on the phone. Even their doctor's office puts them on hold! And most places they said doesn't give them a chance to say don't put me on hold; they just automatically do!

I am stuck with a landline as no cell phone service can prmoise cell phone service where I live. I am still in an area where if you hold it just right and the wind doesn't blow you MIGHT be able to complete a call if you get a signal at all. They have all told me I can forget it ever getting any better. We live right in the middle of the Hoosier National Forest so they all say no enough income to put up towers and they wouldn't work anyway with all the trees.

Even satellite phones don't continually work because of the trees unless you go out into a clearing. Maybe a "cell phone booth" in a clearing is what I need! lol

Good luck on your decision, things are always changing with cell phones and such so all depends on where you live and the phone usage you need.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 06-14-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We still have our landline, and I have a cell, then just recently l I convinced Darryl he really needed a cell, (he hates any new kind of electronic device) he would be happy if 8track tapes were still around I swear, lol!) for some strange reason, I feel more secure with the landline, even though most of our calls come on the cell phones.
Also for those that arent aware of this, there is a "free" cell phone you can apply for called SafeLink (www.safelink.com) I got one for my mom she qualified because she receives social security, they send you a free phone with minutes on it, and add new minutes every month, (the unused minutes will rollover)Im not sure if its available in every state but it is here in NH. I wanted my mom to have it for when she goes for a walk with her neighbor, you never know with her what will happen next.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The Safelink phones do come in handy for those that are eligible Sandie. I know several in Virginia who have them and the nice part is that they didn't have to be eligible for every type of social service (food stamps, free lunches, medical assistance) it can just be one of the many that will quailify you. At my house we do still have our landline but I have reduced it down to basic service. My son and I both have smart phones, and already had wireless internet in the house, so by adding my son's phone to my bundle my wireless home internet was reduced by $20, and my home phone bill went down $68. I have many friends in my area though who have done away totally with their land lines, and all of them say the same thing..."so nice not to hear the phone ringing" and "don't miss it a bit!" I may even do away with mine altogether but for some reason I also feel a sense of security with it because of knowing it is linked up to 911 - and I live really in the country where when it is stormy our cell service can be not the best, but most of the time it is great.

Unknown