Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

May I add, I love the old-fashionedness of washing dishes by hand... draped tea towel slung over my shoulder. So nostalgic.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I am quite frugal but still use my dishwasher. I love it!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This thread is a subtle reminder as to the different ways and means in which people do things, and how modern day luxuries (for some) are the only way, while more old-fashioned types (like myself) still prefer the old way.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Yes....everyone has their own ways............

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

Beverly Sills
Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

we wash our dishes by hand and save the rinse water and use it to water our outdoor plants. We save the water from showers/bathing and use it to flush our toilet/s with. We only do laundry doing non peak electricity hours.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:35 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Good afternoon all!!

I have all 3 of the Tightwad Gazette books, bought at half. ebay. com. I have taken to reading through them once every couple of years. If there are specific recipes I like, I put the name of the recipe and the page it is on, in the front jacket cover.

I also have the Economides books, which again I read through every so often to help keep me on track. I do the same with reciepes in these books.

I figure it like this, I write in my Bible, I am not going to respect any book written by man. And it makes a handy guide for me.

I live alone, so I definitely handwash my dishes. No room in my kitchen for a dishwasher either. I fill the sink with hot water to wash in, drain that and then let the water run while rinsing. I also use a pitcher to catch the cold water that runs out while I am waiting for the hot water to kick in. I use that a) to make iced tea, b) to water plants, c) to add to my washing machine water, d) make ice cubes, or e) flush the toilet. I have been able to keep my water bill within $10 over the course of several years now.

I also use a bucket to catch the cold water that runs out of the shower while waiting for the hot water to kick in. That is either washing machine water or toilet flushing water.

They say it takes 3 weeks of constantly doing something new to form a habit.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Norma I find myself going through the Tightwad Gazzette time after time. It refreshes my memory on some of Amy's great tips. I have the one complete book. It is full of page markers. lol...There are however things that I do that aren't considered frugal.

Beverly Sills
Old 10-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think it is great to do things the old fashioned way if you can but not to feel guilty if you can't. I have many disabilities & use many conviences just to be able to do things. I find other ways to be frugal. I like that here on FC we can respect each others differences.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I do handwashing on the pots and pans and baking things but use the dishwasher for dishes and bowls and glassware and silverware. I keep one side of the sink in dishwater while preparing meals, but rinse under flowing water so that is a bit wasteful...I had an old rubbermaid dish drainer, the large kind, but it just plain fell apart so I got a new one and it is TOO SMALL! DH loves the dishwasher, but I think it is a waste of energy and time.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."