Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Yes combs can freeze easily good thinking. Do you have a small coop for them lol even a dog house would work since you only have the 2 with a perch built in it.
How rotten of them stealing your peppers.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pag,

You are too funny, how did you know? have you been peeking over my fence?

I have a dog pen big enough for two to scratch around in on bad days with a limb for a roost at night, and then inside the pen I have a small dog house that they use in the summer to lay their eggs and in the cold weather to keep warm in. I also have piled the pen with tons of leaves so they can scratch around and keep warm. We put tarps around it to keep out rain and hopefully wind.

Yeah! things get stolen fast in this neighborhood, unless it has a heavy chain, but even then if they want it they just cut the chain.

I have a raspberry plant I had to drag in the house because it can not withstand the winters here. I hope it can withstand the cat. LOL!

So, how is your homesteading going?

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Does anybody have homesteading ideas for winter?

My hubby wants me to grow sprouts for us to eat. and I sometimes make homemade bread.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm still working on my garden LOL hopefully next week I'll have the time to pick up manure then put newspaper and cardboard on top to help the leaves/manure cook over the winter.

In the past I've done winter sowing which is using plastic milk jugs as mini nursery. Cut open almost all the way put in your dirt, seeds and a bit of water then tape back closed and come spring when the seeds germinate take the lid off and add some more water. As it warms up you can finish cutting the top off until your ready to transplant.

Roberta
Old 12-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roberta,

Your mini nursery sounds interesting. So, you keep the jugs outside all during the winter?

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I did them in February and set up against the house the rest of winter.

There is a forum on this http//www.familycorner.com/forums/gardening/19198-wintersowing.html

Roberta

Last edited by RobertaD; 12-04-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would love to try the chickens again but our zoning would call us on it, $500 fine. But I have to ask, what is the deep litter method and what are the dimensions LWH of your dog pen?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ellen,

A big guess here on dimensions for my dog/chicken pen, 4ft.wide by 6 ft. long by 5 ft. high. really rough guess.

The deep litter method is putting lots of items like leaves or pine shavings etc. in the run/pen and the chickens will compost it for you by scratching and digging in it. I also toss in veggie scraps etc. they love it, and by spring I should have some great chicken manure compost for the garden. It rarely smells unless it gets flooded really bad.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I wondered too what you meant by deep littering. My g-mom use to use chicken compost in her flower plants too. They thrived on it.
Even if I was physically able to have chickens/rabbits again could not in the area I am in even if it is considered rural. I miss it and a garden too
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I find this fascinating--what we can do in urban areas. DH and I have started composting. I started with 5 gallon pots, the kind plants come in. Then we bought a large trash can, about 30 gallons or so, and DH drilled holes in it. It is amazing that once you cover everything with a bit of dirt or leaves, it doesn't smell. Looks like we'll need to buy a new can before too long. That's great with me! I live in a subdivision with a fussy HOA. We also collect rainwater (precious little of it here in the desert) and use it on our plants and trees. Even in our little back yard we have 2 pomegranate, 2 fig, and some citrus trees. I canned figs this summer. DH juiced the pomegranates. Our citrus is just starting to produce. When we lived in Texas we had chickens. We had the best eggs!