Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for this post I really enjoyed it also got some ideas.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I never did get around to trying to grow the swiss chard in the house, but I do have a very small lemon tree in the house and to my surprise it is blooming. LOL!

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Dawn/Mom how nice, did you start your lemon tree from seeds or a branch that rooted? You will get to the Swiss Chard another time
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I bought the lemon tree through the mail. It was probably about a foot tall so I figured it would not bloom or produce for years. I guess I was wrong. LOL!

Outside during the summer I planted a grape vine and a black berry bush in our small back yard along the fence. Did i ever mention that we have 2 chickens in the yard right in the city?

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

hey dawn, where did the chickens come from? You haven't had any complaints from neighbors yet? Thats wild. In the city of all places. LOL
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The Lord aloud us to buy the 2 chickens (hens) from a lady in Kentucky. Nope the neighbors haven't complained that I know of (Praise the Lord!)We even have a sheriff who lives a few doors down from us.

We get a lot of people asking if they are roosters, a lady said they were turkeys ,and a little girl said she liked our ducks. Most of these people are adults and it makes me wonder that people don't know what a female chicken looks like. And some people even think you need a rooster to get eggs from a hen. Go Figure!

It has been fun and a blessing to raise and learn about chickens and with the "Deep Litter Method" not much smell . But, the dogs next door really smell sometimes though.

I have just tried to make a little homestead in my yard here in the ghetto. Another great thing is chickens eat bugs and ****roaches. LOL!

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

No you never mentioned the hens before. How dumb to think a hen is anything but a hen. The only time you would need a rooster is to raise baby chicks. You would think they would have learned that in school.
I use to raise chickens and rabbits to eat and sell. Been a lot of years now. Oh what kind of hens are they?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Pag,

My chicken girls are "Silver Cuckoo Marans" they look like "barred rocks".

I guess in school people aren't being taught about farm animals or sensible life issues. It makes me wonder how people will survive if we get into another great depression.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

HMMM! those are new to me. But then it has been years since I raised them might be a lot of new ones out there. Mine were Rhode Island Reds and White Leggans (sp).
Good question if that teaching what good enough for us and our kids (well my kids) then why not for the ones coming up now. Guess they don't have FFA anymore
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pag,

I originally wanted barred rocks because of the small combs. We get bad freezing weather here, but my cuckoos are pretty close to what the barred rocks look like so their combs should do just fine.

Not sure about whether they have FFA anymore. Never took it myself but, certainly not opposed to it. Learning farm life would be good for kids especially the kids here in the city.

Learning how to tend their own little gardens might go along way in keeping people from stealing other peoples property. A year or two ago I let someone pick some peppers we had because we had plenty, but then one day we came home and someone had stolen all the rest of our peppers. It made me a bit upset because all they had to do was ask and I would have given the peppers to them.

I am grateful no one has stolen our chickens.

Blessings,
Dawn