Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Using Cloth Diapers?

This seems to be a coming back trend? I guess it really is not a trend.

I thought I was a stand alone with the Frugal Zealot(Amy Daczcyn(sp?) and the mennonites, on cloth diapers.

But after googling cloth diapers, and joining my local Mom's Group. Cloth diapers are no longer a thing of the past!

There are actually message boards that have a section dedicated just for cloth diaper users.

Cloth diapers were used on most of my generation, and definitely for all generations before me.

There are some nifty cloth diapers out there now days. For me, I just use the good old fashion prefolded and flat diapers.

Since I made the switch, DS has much less diaper rash. Not sure if he was allergic to certain ingredients in the disposable diapers, or if it is just that I tend to change his diaper more often with the cloth diapers.

Anyone else use cloth diapers?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I used them with 2 of 3 kids and I loved them. They were easy, cheap and best of all, rashes were much less.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It's been a long time since I had kids in diapers. But I would still use them today. A lot cheaper for one thing.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My daughter is WAY past needing a diaper, but with the new green movement, you will be hearing about them being used a lot more. It is a lot easier on the environment( less waste in the landfills). Plus it is a lot cheaper so it's a win-win.

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I used cloth nappies on both boys until they were toilet trained but in winter I did use disposable ones for night time to keep them more comfortable.
hd had no troubles changing nappies whether it was a cloth one or disposable and even washed them out, how sweet was he LOL
I did have what we call fluffies that go over the pinned cloth nappy they were a sort of knitted cotton blend pant(?) that went over the top and hid the pins so that they could not undo the nappy, as when they were older they figured out how to undo a pin and at 1 they were dropping their nappies all over the house LOL.
I'd recommend them.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I used cloth diapers for awhile with my second ds and instead of pins used "diaper wraps". They were a waterproof, velcro way to keep diapers on and i loved them - so easy to use and machine washable. We ended up figuring out that cloth diapers cost almost as much money to use when it came to water, detergent, borax or bleach when doing laundry as it did to buy disposables so we ended up using a combination of the two. Disposables were just easier when going out somewhere or on vacation.

~Mother Theresa

Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

An older thread, but one I couldn't pass-up replying to.

I was a dedicated cloth diaper user, though when I was diapering my kids, at least the older ones... all that was around were the classic standard old-fashioned diapers... flats, pins, and rubber pants.

Nonetheless, I embraced the old-fashioned and enjoyed all facets of it... from the folding, to the line-drying, even the changing part... but what I most appreciated about cloth diapering was always having diapers ready and on hand. Not once did I come close to ever running out of clean fresh diapers in all those years, though I do remember running out of wooden clothespins from time to time on diaper-wash day. Mainly... because I never owned enough pins, but mostly because I had extended diaper-wash day by an extra day or two.

I had two in diapers a few times over the course of the babyhood days, so appreciated the simplicity and reliability of diapers and rubber pants... and I never (at any point in time) found it to be inconvenient, burdensome, smelly, or difficult... mind you I spent my teen and early twenty-something years babysitting, and everyone I babysat for used diapers, pins, and pants... so I was more than familiar with and well-honed at the art of traditional diapering.

One question I always like to ask past cloth diapering moms is... "would you do it again", and most I ask respond with an enthusiastic, emphatic, absolute, "yes".
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yes I would do it the cloth nappy way again BUT I would also do a disposable at night which I did not learn to do until my second bub, this just made for happier sleep nights.
I must admit that there is something homey in seeing a baby/toddler in a cloth nappy and the nappies flapping on the line.
I did not use rubber pants but I used what over here are called fluffies or clip on (up the sides) plastic lined stretchy pants then clothes.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilby
Yes I would do it the cloth nappy way again
And me, too!

When it came to night-time diapering... I padded my kids up extra... as in a double... sometimes a triple fold diaper, and always rubber pants. Unless they woke fussing or had a diaper rash, I never gave changing them through the night so much as a second thought.

Quote:
I must admit that there is something homey in seeing a baby/toddler in a cloth nappy and the nappies flapping on the line.
I remember the newness of changing cloth diapers on baby siblings and cousins, but when I started actually babysitting around the neighbourhood and changing cloth diapers regularly (on my own), it just seemed so proper and true of what babies should wear. Something about it seems so right.

Quote:
I did not use rubber pants but I used what over here are called fluffies or clip on (up the sides) plastic lined stretchy pants then clothes.
I like the fact that mothers have options today regarding diaper pants/covers, but convincing an old-hand as myself out of using rubber pants (or not going back to using them again), well... that would be like asking a porcupine to not pop any balloons in a balloon factory! LOL!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:52 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

An aside question to you, Bilby. Were the alternate pants (diaper covers) fully waterproof? I think that was the sell for me when it came to rubber pants... sure, rubber pants are made out of vinyl/plastic, but they worked in keeping wetness inside... plus I never had to fuss with them at change time or on laundry day.

A quick rinse when dirty, then out to the line they went! As for changing... easy on-off made them quick and routine.