Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thumbs up Uses For Used Coffee Grounds

Hi, I've found more uses for used coffee grounds:

1.Increase your carrot and radish harvest by mixing seeds with dry coffee grounds before planting the seed.
2.Sprinkle old grounds around places you donít want ants, or on the ant piles themselves. The little buggers will move on or stay away. Used grounds are also said to repel snails and slugs.
3. Keep cats from using your garden as a kitty box by spreading used coffee grounds and orange peels throughout flower beds.
4. Deodorize a freezer. Place a bowl with used coffee grounds in the freezer to remove unwanted odors. Add a few drops of vanilla to coffee grounds.
5. Rub coffee grounds on hands to get rid of smells from chopping or cutting up pungent foods.
6. Make a used coffee grounds sachet. Fill old nylons or cheescloth with dry used coffee grounds. Hang in closets to absorb odors.
7. When you need an abrasive cleaner, coffee grounds can be used. Be careful of any surfaces that might stain.
8. Remove furniture scratches with wet coffee grounds.
9. Got a fireplace? Sprinkle wet coffee grounds over the ashes to keep from becoming engulfed in the plume of dust ashes create when you need to remove them.
10. Dye fabric, paper or Easter eggs. Simply add used coffee grounds to warm water and let sit a bit to create a dye.
11. After you give your dog a bath, rub coffee grounds through the coat of your pet. Coffee grounds are said to repel fleas.
12. Plants such as rosebushes, azaleas, rhododendrons, evergreen and camellias that prefer acidic soils will appreciate the leftovers from your morning cup. Also, grounds can add nutrients to your compost bin

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I put mine on my azalea bushes. Never really knew if it helped or not. But after reading #12 I think I will start dumping it on my rhododendrons also.

Thanks for the tip.

Charlotte
Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member

Over the winter I was putting the coffee grounds in my front flower beds. Now with the garden going I put the grounds in the compost pile along with the tea from bags and veggie scraps from the kitchen.

Roberta
Old 06-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I put the used coffee grinds in my compost as well. A word of caution, I have read that you should not put them in potted plants because they cause the soil to get too acidic.

You can get FREE large bags of coffee grinds at Starbucks. Ours has them in a bucket by the front door.

Kathy