Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Moving

I am moving from the state of Florida to the State of Washington and need to find the least expensive way to move. Does anyone have any suggestions, references for moving companies, etc??? I am expecting to move the end of this month.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi....

I've made several cross country moves and used American Red Ball as a moving company....never had a problem with them.

Jeannie
Old 06-07-2002, 09:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I went from New York to Stockholm, Sweden and now I'm going from Stockholm to Washington State myself.

Moving can be quite expensive. I'd say that the best thing one can do is look into different moving companies that people recommend. Then find the one that meets your budget from that list. I have heard both horror stories and fairytales from people about moving companies - so I would go with suggestions from friends and people who have made a move.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you both!

I have been getting quotes from different companies, but hope to get reference from actual customers. I have also checked into rental trucks and other options. I will check American Red Ball.
What part of Washington are you moving to? We are going to the Winlock-Chehalis-Centralia area (southern I-5 corridor).
Old 06-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I also have some suggestions:
Do alot of your own packing - use towels, sweaters, and other clothing you won't wear for a while and wrap breakables.
Do you plan to trailer or drive your own car(s)? Have them checked out thouroughly - belts, hoses, brakes, tires, and have the fluids ( oil, trans, and cooling system ) serviced. Don't need to have a car break down due to a bad belt or hose! Make sure the cooling system has 70 antifreeze / 30 water percent ratio for this provides good protection and even though antifreeze doesn't go bad the rust and corrossion inhibitors added to antifreeze does...

Old 06-08-2002, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm going to do all of my own packing. Good suggestion about the towels and sweaters, etc. I've used towels before, but hadn't thought to use clothing.

I am going to have my car completely serviced about a week before we leave, so that will all be taken care of.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

It also gives you a little time to check for leaks... and we have had new hoses split on my Dad's own truck so, if possible carry spare belts, hoses with clamps, and possibly an oil filter ( external ones do have a chance of being punctured by crud off the road - had it happen to a friend; right after I had changed it! ) so you won't have to hunt for a parts store... though some mechanics loate to put your own parts on... unless it is something they don't have... I've actually had people bring parts in to have them put on their car and they were the wrong parts!

Old 06-08-2002, 04:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Moving recommendations

Just a recommendation. I have worked with United and Mayflower Van Lines for the last six years. I strongly recommend getting free estimates with movers that you know are good and are a business that has been around along time. All moving companies provide free estimates. Moving is a very stressful time. I would choose a moving company that backs up their promises and promises to communicate throughout the whole move. I would also recommend that you do all of your own packing to save costs. Packing can be more costly than the actual move itself. Feel free to ask me any questions about moving in general.....
Old 06-08-2002, 08:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Where in Washington are you moving? If you need any idea's of the Pacific Northewest area, I may be of help, I have lived here 43 years.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great advice!
My fiance's mother lives in Olympia. We will be living further south in a small town called Winlock. He works in Kelso. It will be really nice to know more than 4 people when I get there!