Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

View Poll Results: How do you save money on back to school shopping?
I buy something whenever I see it on sale, no matter what time of year 18 42.86%
I stock up in the fall when all the supplies go on sale 22 52.38%
I buy as needed throughout the year, but only on sale items 6 14.29%
We take advantage of hand me downs whenever possible 13 30.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Also, every Sunday I checked the ads online to see who had the things on the school lists cheapest and bought them when in the area of those stores. Everything came in under .25 except baby wipes, hand sanitizer, dry erase markers, and kleenex, which they had at the dollar store. If a brand name was specified, I ignored it because it all goes into a class storage area so the kids don't care, and it almost all comes from the same maker with a different label anyway.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

It's that time again! Time to start thinking about back to school shopping.

This year I had wanted to shop early, and I still think it is fairly early, but I had hoped I would be done at least buying supplies. But of course I haven't even started

Any suggestions on saving money on back to school?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member

DD1 is pretty well set for clothes at least until the snow flys. I picked up at Steve & Barry's ($8.98 store) a dress, zippered sweater, 2 pants, 2 tops, gym bag. At the Salvation Army store she got 2 jeans, 5 tops and at a garage sale picked up a pair of jeans. All totaled $72.

DD2 gets a lot of hand me downs but I did get her a new pair of pants and 2 shirts at Steve & Barrys.

As for school supplies I stocked up last year on the $.01 sales so I don't need to buy anything this year with the exception of a package of wipes which I got last week at the grocery during a super sale and I had coupons.

Roberta
Old 07-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member

For school supplies, I usually buy when they are on sale or clearance, I stick to the notebook paper, pencils, color pencils, crayons and erasers. If I find a cool backpack and DS likes it, we get it on mark down. This year no luck, will have to pay full price.

The teacher requested supply list, we also have the name brand listed, but they will accept the store brand as well. We have had a few that griped, but if you don't want it, then we will take it back home. Yes, I did use that with a "Name brand conscious" teacher before.

Our school system has gone to a type of uniform dress code, but it isn't really. They have to wear a polo style shirt or dress shirt and they all must be tucked in from 1st grade to senior high. Last year is was solid shirts only, but this year they will allow some strips. The pants have to be blue or khaki or jeans. (not faded or too washed). It has been a pain, because I don't feel that this has to an issue at the school. If the 10% that had droopy pants and wore the shirts 3 sizes too big, were asked to dress correctly, we wouldn't have this dress code. (We wouldn't want to single out anyone here!)

sorry got on a touchy subject!