Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

View Poll Results: How do you save money on back to school shopping?
I buy something whenever I see it on sale, no matter what time of year 18 42.86%
I stock up in the fall when all the supplies go on sale 22 52.38%
I buy as needed throughout the year, but only on sale items 6 14.29%
We take advantage of hand me downs whenever possible 13 30.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
I wish that I would've bought my son a backpack when they went on sale last summer. I guess I can't complain that much though because that will be the only really big purchase that I'm making for him to start school.
Do you have Big Lots by you? They have been advertising a sale here that includes a backpack filled with school supplies for $20!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCorner
Do you have Big Lots by you? They have been advertising a sale here that includes a backpack filled with school supplies for $20!
There isn't a Big Lots here close by that I know of. That is a good deal of the backpack is decent quality. Did you happen to buy one?

My son used his backpack from last year, this summer to carry books and movies home from the library. It looks kinda ratty so he got a new one.

Debbie, You caught some great deals!!!

I found sandals at WalMart for $5.00 but they didn't have my son's size. I haven't checked the ads in today's newspaper.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Head Moderator

We always bought the back to school sales for supplies to last at least till the next year back to school sale. Always worked except for a few things after classes changed mid year and they had to have some different things. When the boys were small I shopped at the thrift stores for most of their everyday school clothes and play clothes for the summer. As they got into middle school and high school that didn't work any longer so I told them how much money I would spend for new items and they had to find the best price for what they wanted to make the money go further or live with what little they got if they didn't spend wisely. And if they wanted to spend more than the allotted amount they had to cover it. It worked very well and there were no more arguments over what they wanted to buy.

Now I buy some of the really good supplies when they are inexpensive and give them to kids in the family to help out.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:49 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmelon
Same for Barnes and Noble. Only there you have to be actively teaching in a school system and not just hold the certificate.
Actually, if you take your declaration of intent or some other homeschool id - like your Homeschool Association card, etc., Barnes and Noble will issue you a Teacher's Discount card. You just have to let them know that what you are purchasing is for teaching. Not everything is discounted like with their regular discount. Most of the time I find that Teacher discount saves me more even when it's not for everything. I saved $30 last weekend by using my teacher discount during Georgia's Tax Free Holiday.

Homeschoolers can also get teacher discounts at most anyplace any other teacher does, by showing your DOI or Homeschool Group Member ID card. It is always worth asking about!

For clothes and some books, my girls have decided they love the Goodwill and another local thrift store here. The other store offers 50% off EVERYTHING on Monday's. We're trying to make that part of our Monday routine now.

Last edited by martiehawk; 08-13-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Even though my kids are no longer in school, I do purchase school supplies for the Head Start and elementary schools here and donate them. 2 weeks b4 school starts the teachers get together and have like a big garage sale at one of the schools so the kids can buy supplies real cheap. We live in a poor county so this is extremly helpful for the kids and parents. They also bring used stuff like clothes, shoes, pencils, etc. for free. They collect stuff all summer for this sale. People donate many things. Like me who buys on tax free days do this every year..of course it breaks my heart this year because I can't contribute as much as I have in the past because as most of you know I am not working and still have no car..I used to spend about $100 for these kids but now I can only afford about $40. My neighbor will bring all my donations to the school for me as she does this too.
Gotta go for now
ditzy46

Old 08-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have over previous years stockpiled some items. As we always bought more at discounted prices or when on sale throughout the year. Also purchased some items at dollar stores throughtout the years. So we only had to buy certain items, which we bought at a dollar store, a Fred's superdollar store to be exact. We got 10 folders for $1, scissors for $1, 3 ring binders for $1 each, heavy duty kind, not cheap plastic ones that wear out really quick. Also got rulers cheap. They had good deals on backpacks too, even got my daughter a Hillary Duff backpack, it says stuff by Duff and my son got a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles backpack too. They are good size and look to be made well. So we think they well last a few years too. They had backpacks, from $4.88 on up. We paid about 12 a piece for their character type backpacks. I think they will last a while too. We bought the kids clothes throughout the Summer as they were clearanced. Plus we bought on sale items and clothes at thrift stores for school. We even got some name brand clothes in good shape for $1 for a piece for shirts and a winter coat for a dollar too. The coat was like new, it all worked well, it even had furry ends on the sleeves and fur up on the collar. It was even my daughter's favorite color of Purple too. As she likes purple and pink and now she has 2 coats As she already had a pink one and now she has jackets in both her favorite colors. The kids also got clothes from thrift stores and yard sales. Also a few special items like a denim jacket for my daughter and my son got some new cargo pants that zip off into to shorts too. So they are ready to got back to school I would say. Their shoes are in good shape, so I am waiting to purchase new ones until later on as they wore flip flops and sandals this Summer and didn't wear out their shoes. That way, their shoes will last another so many months too. Next week they start school here. So this is their final week of Summer vacation. They start Aug. 21st here.
Summer vacation has gone quick for them. So back into the swing of things for us again.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My first time..

It's my first time buying school supplies...and haven't a clue what I am doing
I stocked up on pencils when STAPLES had their penny sale...also RITEAID had a great sale and uhh lets say 5 gross of pencils later I think I'm covered =0) and uhh couple dozen boxes of crayons markers etc.

I just got Ben's school list..and had I bought him a dozen red marble notebooks <3 for a $1>only to find out he needs a 3 ring binder and a 150 pg spiral notebook..for kindergarten Ive never heard of this i was in middle school when I first used a binder..

poor kid...I ordered him a personalized wheeled POWER RANGER backpack and binder from the disney store doesnt that sound a bit much for a 5yr old to carry 2 notebooks and books
Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmom526
It's my first time buying school supplies...and haven't a clue what I am doing
I stocked up on pencils when STAPLES had their penny sale...also RITEAID had a great sale and uhh lets say 5 gross of pencils later I think I'm covered =0) and uhh couple dozen boxes of crayons markers etc.
I had to laugh at this because I tend to go overboard on things like pencils too. I had enough left from last year that I didn't have to buy and this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmom526
I just got Ben's school list..and had I bought him a dozen red marble notebooks <3 for a $1>only to find out he needs a 3 ring binder and a 150 pg spiral notebook..for kindergarten Ive never heard of this i was in middle school when I first used a binder..
Wow! That is a lot for a kindergarten student. Congratulations as he starts his journey into becoming a "big boy". Do you think that you will cry when he walks away for the first time? I teared up a little on my son's first day. He was so excited though.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had enough stuff left over from last year that we really didn't have to spend much this year on supplies. There will be a few things, of course, but they never give us a list until after school starts!! But things like pencils and crayons are horded all year long, and I'd found glue sticks for a penny...so except for notebooks, paper, etc we're set.

I buy my kids new backpacks every year..mainly because they trash them lol...but also because most of their clothes are hand-me-downs and I know how I felt going to school with everyone else in new clothes and I was in leftovers. They don't get much choice in the clothes they have to wear, but I let them choose their backpacks and their shoes, within a price limit. This year cost us less than $30 for both kids, so I'm not complaining!! Now I just need to start stashing away some money for the field trips, sports, etc.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know what you mean. I save money for field trips and other activities, as there is always something once they are in school a while. My son my do Soccer this year, and if he does that will cost a little here. My daughter may do choir, so that won't cost as much I don't think. She may eventually do band too, over the next few years or so. We usually purchase new backpacks if the existing ones are worn out and they get to pick them out. If they have a sale on backpacks or tote bags and such, we will purchase more for use later on too. So usually we are prepared in advance. I know what you mean, we didn't have to buy as much, as had lots of leftover items from the past few years to use and bought a few extra folders and binders for use at school. So will help. Also throughout the year we purchase extra school supplies as they are on sale at some stores too. The kids get a few new t shirts and such and the rest is used clothing from yard sales and thrift stores. As I have a girl and a boy and the only things they reuse are things I buy in the boys section for my daughter that as she outgrows it can be passed on to my son, like shorts and certain t shirts. I also have older shirts I don't wear, as they won't fit, so I give those to my daughter, as they are smalls and mediums. My son's old clothes were given to someone we know, so they will get another use by them. As some were new for our son and some used, but in good shape. So they will get another use. Also sell some of his things in yard sales too. As well as give away and sell some of my daughter's clothes too. so between thrift stores and other stores, we get the kids outfitted. I like clearance sales too. We get some great deals then for the kids. We buy new t shirts when clearanced, and new if cheap enough. We dont spend over about $7 at the most for a t shirt new ever so often.

Have a great day.