Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Disposable Society

I was just watching Tv.. and that commercial for the disposable washclothes with the Johnson and Johnson baby soap came on. I really got me thinking. Between that, and the disposable mops and brooms... disposable dushing cloths... disposable napkins.. plates... cups.. disposable towels.. disposable wash cloths for makeup removal and washing. It just makes me wonder... what the heck are we thinking? Where is all this stuff going to end up... we are running out of room on this planet for people... Yet we create more garbage that 6 other countries put together.
I am not saying that I am perfect.. I do use these things on occasion.. napkins.. I have the oil of olay daily facials.. and have been known to use a few paper plates. But... I do use cloth napkins, plastic plates for picnics.. I did try the Swiffer when it came out, and even bought one refill.. but now I have made clothes to fit it.. when I am done I wash them. For me it is a matter of being as frugal as possible.. It is cheaper to wash a napkin, then to buy paper ones, same with my washcothes and swiffer rags. I am just wondering if the cost of all this disposable stuff is worth the convience it provides.
Wow.. that was a rant.. But.. maybe food for thought.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question disposable everything...?

Seems like alot of people nowdays think that everything should be disposible...
i remember the talk i had with my daughter a few years ago, when she asked me if we could get rid of the cat we had, cause she was a few years old, and replace her with a kitten!
at least SHE had an excuse for thinking that way, being only 7...what about the people who discard their pets every time they move, or just want something different?
my fiancee' gets on me alot about the stuff i keep, (most of it other peoples discards!)...just in case we ever need it. but when he needs that particular part for something he's fixing, i get nothing but praise, because he didn't have to drive to Home Depot, etc... and buy one.
by the way, i don't....AND WON'T own a swiffer, or any of that other garbage! i know how to wash a cleaning rag after i use it!
awkay...my rant is done now, too...

Old 05-15-2002, 09:57 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I can't throw away half the stuff I have......like towels with holes in them that were wedding presents from my FIRST marriage. ROFL I'm sure not going to buy new stuff that's made for throwing away. The only thing I really buy that's disposable are razors, because so far I haven't found any that the blades aren't just as expensive to replace. I use my disposable razors forever anyway. I LOVE when they send expensive razors in the mail thinking you'll go out and buy the blades when it's finished. I can make one of those last forever. LOL I guess paper towels and t.p. are in the disposable area, too. I wonder if our grandmothers thought the same about those that we do of the newer disposables? They even have disposable cloths with after-shave on them now!

MMMMM.....the breeze just carried in a big whiff of honeysuckle. I'm in heaven!

While we're ranting. It drives me NUTS to see people get so much food at a buffett and then leave enough on their plates to feed my family for a week!! Ok, done now...I feel better.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 05-15-2002, 10:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had the same reaction when I saw that J&J commercial for disposable washcloths. They end the commercial with "the best thing for your baby since disposable diapers." Hello? Well, I'm a cloth diapering mom and don't think disposables have done much good for our world. Yes, I use them when we travel and can see the convenience of some disposable items. We also use wipes when we travel, but generally, we use washcloths at home. I've also heard of disposable bibs. A relative was raving about how great that is. I was just thinking, "why wouldn't I just use a regular 'ol bib?" Anyway, I know there are times when disposable items are just way too handy. But let me reuse anything I can when I can!
Old 05-15-2002, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

it really goes beyond the cost and waste of "disposables"...it's also the planned obsolesence of most things we buy....from cars to mixing machines, everything is designed to "die" rather than be repaired and maintained and last for more than a few years.

it's a mentality that is pushed upon us and it is one of the things that makes the rest of world shake it's head at our continent's conspicuous consumption..

but, i have no intention of using old newspapers or even leaves as a substitute for toilet paper.....
toilet paper and kleenex are the only paper products i buy...i collect napkins from drive-thru's and such and always have a pile of them...because...they always give you so many! i use old tea towels etc for most of the uses of paper towels and just give them a hot wash when i have enough..

i was fortunate that when my dd was born i was just leaving my hippie days and still very much the earth mother....so i used cloth for all but excursions...my friends all thought i was crazy

and we're both collecters too, one never knows when some piece of supposed garbage will discover a new life

carol
Old 05-15-2002, 12:01 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

We reuse alot of things. All those containers from the deli and cool whip get used over and over. I also reuse plastic bags. I use dish towels, and old bath towels can be cut down to wash cloth size, soaked in fabric softener and used in the dryer. We use cloth diapers for DD2 except when we camped. Had to use the disposables diapers on DD1 as she was allergic to laundry soap and baby shampoo just didn't get the cloth ones clean. Had to wash all her clothes by hand in the shampoo as that was the only thing that didn't give her a rash full of blisters. Thankfully she potty trained very early,so didn't have to use them for long. Still have the cloth diapers around, they make great cleaning towels.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you for this thread!!! Where do I even start! The disposable bibs about sent me throught he roof....now the disposable wash cloths I do use TP and I will admit store brand tampons. I have a roll of paper towels - used for grease spills only! I only buy tissues if someone has a really bad cold and their nose is sore. Otherwise it's TP for that too.

My sister actually buys the disposable dust clothes that are shaped like a mitten and lets my 5 year old neice play house with them. I have given up on sis, but I really worry about what my neice will expect from the world when she is an adult. She has no idea that to have all those things you have to work longer at a job you likely don't like. She and my sis think that delayed gratification is waiting for the microwave to beep!
Old 05-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

shocking disposable...NOT!

Growing up in the late 60's, with 5 bros. and sisters, I learned to made do w/what you have, until you can afford anything else. My daughter has learned alot of this same principle...when she was 6, she had to sell some of her old toys, and clothes @ my yard sale to buy her 1st bicycle.
She was amazed at all the stuff she didn't want anymore, and I was amazed that she sold enough to buy the bicycle, and 2 new swimsuits...with $20.00 left! She's bought 2 since, and paid for each herself. Her "old" bikes sold at later sales for a decent price, since she took such good care of them!
She is 11 now, and makes her own Barbie furniture, etc. out of things she finds around the house. When we go shopping, it's usually a thrift store, and she loves to see what kewl stuff she can find for less than a dollar. Her clothes are almost all second-hand, and I embroider/embellish her jeans for her. She makes her own jewelry out of some of my old beads, and always makes gifts for all occasions. She wastes nothing...
I'm very proud of her resourcefullness, and her pride at what she can do without. And, yes she DOES have a Nintendo 64...a gift from her father...but must buy her games used, or trade for them. All said, I think she will grow up to be a responsible, practical adult. Guess there's hope for our future, yet...

Old 05-16-2002, 04:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I thinks she already is responsible and CREATIVE! What a beautiful thing!
Old 05-16-2002, 05:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just saw that commercial for the first time last night and Had the same reaction! What are they thinking! It is MADDENING!:mad: The waste! The utter LAZINESS! GEEZE!
Thanks I feel better now!