Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

TypingN I remember those barges. What an embarrassment for this country. I've always heard that trash to fuel is a viable alternative but as long as there is oil the big oil companies won't "allow" it to happen. Watch out, once we depete the oil reserves they'll want to take over the recycling in this country too. :p
We moved to a small town in North Carolina where they no longer recycle. We had lived in High Point for the almost 3 preceding years and they did. It was so easy too since we didn't even have to sort, just tossed all recyclables in a bin and set it out trash day. Apparently they used to in this little town but it wasn't a big hit so they quit. We can't believe how much faster our trash cans fill up with all the formerly recycled stuff tossed in. We fill at least one kitchen trash bag a day now.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-27-2002, 06:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Disposable Society

Nagymom:
We were near your area a few weeks ago. On our vacation we took a motor home tour of the east coast staying at national seashore and state park camping areas, one of which was Nags Head. It is a pretty area.

TypingN
Old 11-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

TypingN we live aobut 2 1/2 hours from the shore. We've lived in NC for 3 years now and still haven't made it over there. I don't much care for the beach so....I do want to go visit some of the wonderful seafood restaurants there that I've read about though.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The word that is forgotten when it comes to 'disposable' items is....moderation....there is a place for them.

Wipes are great on a trip, or in the car.

Paper napkins, paper towels are actually better when eating greasy foods like fried chicken. Why you ask? Dyer fires can start with greasy clothes. Believe it or not, you don't wash out all that grease!......Grease also stains. Very hard to get out. What it costs to get it out, you'd be better off to use paper towels .....

Diapers... one of my favorite subject. They are ok if you're visiting or on a trip. I think I used 1 box total on 4 kids.......CLOTH.. is what I used.. I still have them after some 30 years!...I just gave them to my DH' s daughter! She loves them!....

These swiffer type wet mops.... these are ok in certain circumstances. We have a septic system....you have to be very careful what you put down the drain. I like to add a little bleach to the water i use to clean the floors...These actually will save me a whole lot of money that it would cost to salvage my septic.

Like I said.. there is use for them.....

Baby wipes. I love them!....We, as adults use them too. THey are very refreshing!....

The one thing they should make disposable ..one use...is toothbrushes......they harbor more germs than anything.
They are the reason for reinfection of sore throats and strep.

Your toothbrush is your enemy... ...get new ones often!

I recycle pie plates from frozen pies.....and pie crusts. I use them
to beat eggs and milk and for bread crumbs or flour for dipping fish or meat.

Marie Callendar ones are so strong I've used them to bake in several times.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I totally agree on the toothbrush. If you think about it it's really gross. I have to change frequently because I'm a hard brusher and the bristles splay out in not time at all. I know--my dentist has chastised me for doing this but it feels sooo good. I also enjoy getting my teeth cleaned.

Jayne

Old 05-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What is NOT disposable ....are pets... dogs and cats and birds and chicks and bunnies at Easter!!....... If you are not going to be a responsible owner, don't get one. Get a stuffed animal, they don't poop, pee or eat! They don't have to go to the vet, they don't have to be trained or loved and cared for, they don't do anything wrong.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-23-2003, 09:26 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Disposable Pets

Jeannie-

Amen! The world would be a much better place if people took responsibility for their pets. I know people who don't even take them to the Vet or get them spayed/neutered. This is a strong issue for me, sorry if I vented a little here. It is heartbreaking the few times we've been to the pound and saw all the dropped off family pets, I can only imagine what's going through the poor things heads locked up in a cage and their families gone. I am a strong animal advocate.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 05-23-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My middle daughter just this morning closed on her first house and she plans to (hopefully she's approved!) adopt a Great Dane. There are MANY in foster care! WHY would someone pay such large amounts of money for an animal then abuse, neglect or abandon them? Some of the stories on the petfinder website are terribly sad. We don't have any pets now--all died several years ago and we just don't have the heart to do it again. Our dog especially was our baby. (She was a large Spaniel) We loved our babies and they were FAMILY. We spay neuter all of our pets!

Jayne

Old 05-23-2003, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Has anyone seen the ad's for a disposable blanket? that just tops my list of obsurdities--you can buy brand-new sheets at walmart for less than five bucks--but you know that there is someone out there going--I've never seen that before!! I have got to get one...not my household thank you very much!!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:12 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Snussey-

Are you talking about those picnic spread things? I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to them, as we would just use a thrift store sheet, wash it with bleach and soap afterwards and put up for next time. That's what we did when we went on vacation to Ga. at the beach, we used two twin size bed throws bought at thrift store 5.00 for both and still have them today.

Anna