Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:16 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: my family is currently stationed at the Little Rock Air Base in Arkansas
Whew! I am glad I am not the only one who takes a look at what others throw out. Lol I have found some really good stuff out on the curb. Haven't been dumpster diving in years but it is kinda fun too. Dumpsters to check out are Library's and video stores as well as retailers. Not to mention trash dumpster in more well to do apartment complexes! I love saving money this way!
Mary
Old 06-19-2002, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

DHTB..........

Went to the dump yesterday w/2 of my DHTB's employees. They had some old lumber (rotten), etc...and i was the only one who knew where the place was.
Anyway while they were unloading, i spotted a cedar flower planter, and put it in the truck to take home.
Got back w/it.......and my DHTB tells me that i embarassed him by doing that in front of his employees. (He's the sales mgr.) Geeze...
When he came home from work, he brought one of the guys w/him ...to borrow some fishing stuff from us. His pole was broken, but we just happened to have and old pole that i salvaged a few weeks ago ......FROM THE TRASH!...that he used to fix this other one.
He was telling me about fixing this guy's pole, and i said "OH, you mean you ACTUALLY had a use for that TRASH i brought home?" ..........he hasn't said another word about my kewl cedar planter that is sitting in front of the house!:p

Old 07-14-2002, 10:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dreaded Disposables

I, too, cringed at commercials for disposable items. I strive to refuse or reduce them (toilet paper).

I got sick four years ago when pregnant with my second and (sadly) last child and have been in/out chemo/radiation/BM transplant/hospitals until last Thanksgiving. (Hodgkin's twice in two years, and Lyme/Bells Palsey/brain surgery/etc last year).

Thankfully, my very supportive extended family took care of my family, household and sanity. But one casualty was that disposables took over! The Help said that they couldn't keep up with the laundry, among other things, and bought expensive disposable diapers, wipes, napkins, towels, tissue, cleaners, cleaners, & more toxic cleaners, and unnutritional prepared frozen dinners, canned fruits & vegies, boxed mixes, snacks, snacks, and more snacks (AND WATCHED TV ALL DAY LONG!).

I still catch my family (myself included) in newly acquired bad habits, but we are working at it.

Cheap - Thrifty of my/family/community's time/effort/resources by being resourceful.
NLazy - Effective/efficient servant of God/Family/Community with a minimum of effort through simplicity (thrift/self-sustainability/organization).

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -FDR

Well done is better than well said.
-Benjamin Franklin

Witty sayings mean nothing.
- Voltaire
Old 08-26-2002, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

CheapNLazy,
Sorry you had such a hard time. I had Lyme, and now have fibromyalgia.. It Blows! Hope you are doing better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

As far as this disposable society we are subject to, I used my friend Swiffer Mop thing.. although it is easier than a mop an buket, all I have to say is for a long time I have been using a spray bottle, ($.79) in the garden dept full of pine cleaner and water, with my mop, on my hard word floors. Really the same. I just have to rinse the mop in the sink, but really how long does that take?
I am cool.. and cheap...and every now and then, Smart as Hell!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

People are extremly wasteful. My husband works at a landfill( I promise he doesn't get dirty...lol) but he said it is amazing what people throw away.

That poor puppy I think he poodle is probably lucky to get away from her. Although I would have asked a friend or family member if they wanted her!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:47 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Recycling makes cents

I am glad to know I am not alone in recycling. I hardly ever use paper towels, 1 roll every couple months. I shop 2 thrift stores, Cat Welfare and Salvation Army. Cat welfare all the proceeds go to save the kitties till they are adopted, they are never put to sleep. Anyways, I bought a huge amount of cloth napkins there in perfect condition 4/1.00 or less and we use alot. I also bought a bunch of used washcloths there and at yard sales that we use to clean everything with-marked with a marker so they wouldn't get mixed in with regular washcloths. I have bought super nice comforters for 5.00-my hubby kind of turned up his nose and I told him, what do you think you are using when we stay in a hotel? He didn't have anymore objections. I recently have lost alot of weight, went down 3 pants sizes and still have 80 lbs. to go-my husband said go buy new clothes. I went to the Salvation Army and got 3 pairs of pants (Lee, Just My Size, & Tommy Hilfiger) 2 sweaters, and 5-6 shirts for about $12.00 and I recycled. WHAT A DEAL!!! I told him since I have so much weight to loose yet, it wasn't logical to go out and buy all brand new stuff and in a couple months (I hope) have to do it all over again. It is just unbelievable how people throw stuff out (although I am glad that they at least donated it). We are such a disposable society. I feel sorry for that poor doggy, it makes me so angry. Our first dog we bought in a pet store and she destroyed alot of things, our couch, loveseat, my dh's partial plate (YIKES) and he said ok, we are taking her to the pound-I said No way, we bought her, she is our responsibility, our baby and after he calmed down, he agreed-she turned out to be the best dog we have ever had, sadly she passed away . Keep up the good work ladies and send some ideas how we can recycle more. I love Hints For Heloise, she always has great recylcing ideas.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 10-08-2002 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ONE???

I was in the grocery store today, buying paper plates for my daughters 2nd birthday party, and guess what I saw....
Disposable CUTTING BOARDS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I am simply amazed... and at a loss for words.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:28 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Disposable Cutting Boards

I agree, we just got coupons in the paper last week for these things, what's wrong with cleaning your cutting board? I guess if you were overly concerned about bacteria it would be an option, but good old Dawn dishwashing soap, hot water and a wash cloth hasn't killed me in 40 years or even made me sick. It all goes back to being such a throw away society anymore, I am trying so hard to unlearn all this stuff and go back to a more simpler time.

Anna
Old 10-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've been using the same plastic cutting board for 15 or 16 YEARS! I simply wash it with detergent and hot water or put it through the dishwasher if I used it for cutting meat. It will last me forever. I am appalled by the new throw away cutting boards. What a dumb and LAZY idea!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-27-2002, 03:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Disposable Society

We are a very disposable society, and I often wonder how this trash could be used as an alternative energy source for our country instead of piling it up and capping it off. Trash is certainly a source of renewable energy. We keep creating it.

Do you remember several years back when the trash was put onto barges and floated from place to place trying to get some community to pile the trash of another community with theirs?

Every time I mention that someone must have created a trash to energy method, I am told the reason it is not widely in effect is that it is not a moneymaker. Well, all new things don't make money at first.

We might become a little more independent of other energy sources. I certainly would recycle better if I thought that I could heat my house with the trash that is piled up.

Typing N: daisy: