Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I feel we are way to much of a wasteful society!! :(

I feel we are way to much of a wasteful society!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Shallow woman...

I mentioned the poodle incident to my mate, and he said that at least the dog was away from her...
But can you imagine how her HUSBAND FEELS...
I'll bet he wishes he could leave, too!........;-)

Old 05-25-2002, 06:26 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You're probably right bettdev OR maybe he has already adopted his heart out ! It really made me mad to think that as complicated beings that we can be so shallow......ugh.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

disposable society

I heartily agree with all of you. Our dispoable society drives me nuts! My family uses only a few dispoable items. TP, I use dispoable razors, my husband just replaces the blades, and 1-2 rolls of paper towels per year. I normally use fast food napkins for draining fried foods but it makes some of my guests so uncomfortable(especially my mom) that I keep a roll on hand (bought on sale of course). We use dish towels at meals to wipe hands and faces. The babies used cloth diapers most of the time. I never buy kleenex but instead use an old diaper. They are much softer and don't hurt my nose like TP. I use newspapers to clean mirrors and glass. I mix ammonia and water in a used clean spray bottle for glass cleaner. Add a drop of blue food coloring if it makes you feel better. I save all the condiments from eating out and use for camping. I make all my own jam and can fruit when in season. I save jars and lids. Glass is great for sending leftovers with relatives after holiday dinners. I don't expect to get it back like I would for my Tupperware. We reuse gallon ziploc bags. Platic shopping bags line my garbage cans. I but TP in 36 roll packs. This works great for my tall kitchen can. The 5qt ice cream tubs have many uses. Under kitchen sink for scubber, etc. On the counter for compost. Holds small toys like legos and marbles and for taking to the beach. People are amazed at how low my grocery bill is for a family of 4. My kids make dessert from scratch or if I find cake mix under $1.00. Both my boys know how to cook too. One of the first things I taught them was how to use the substitution list in the bck of the cookbook.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Disposable Society

This is a subject that has bugged me for years!! I use very few disposable items - a roll of paper towels every month or so, and sometimes paper napkins. I don't understand what people are thinking. It's almost seems like using disposable is proof that you are successful 'cause you can afford to use things and throw them away. To me it has nothing to do with being able to afford it - it's being responsible with what the good Lord has provided for us on this planet. Disposable effects our world in so many ways - using up valuable resources, overflowing our landfills, polluting our air and water in the manufacturing of all of it, and as has been illustrated by the stories of disposable animals it has polluted our minds and our hearts. Thanks for listening!
Old 06-07-2002, 07:57 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: my family is currently stationed at the Little Rock Air Base in Arkansas
I think what the companies are trying to appeal to is our hurried way of life. It is so scarey to think that some people live life so fast that they feel this products are necessary in order to get everything done. If they only knew how easy it is to make napkins and washable dust rags and swiffer refills ect, And how much room can a few napkins and dust rags take up in the wash anyway!?? Glad we don't live that way
Old 06-08-2002, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question

It's not that a napkin takes up too much room in the laundry; it's the fact that these manufacturers are trying to make us think that our time is too valuable to spend at home.
AND,...alot of people buy into that line of crap!
We all should be doing the bare essentials at the house, so we have more time to "really" live. huh?
I don't WANT to bungee-jump, surf, climb Killamanjaro, swim w/ whales, etc......I want to spend peaceful time in my garden, reading books & watching the sweet little toad that lives there. Oh yeah, while I'm in my garden, those dirty cleaning cloths are swirling around in my not-so-high-tech washer! :p

Old 06-16-2002, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've not seen the ad for disposable washrags yet but I am with all of you. What's wrong with doing the laundry. My DH remembers using the old catalog for TP when he was little (of course they had a outhouse until after we were married 32 years ago). I do buy paper towls for the kitchen because my DH has health problems and I drain all foods on them but i go one better. I use newspaper under the paper towls and I use less.

Jackie S
Old 06-17-2002, 01:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree wholeheartedly. That's one of the reasons I get so inspired by the dumpster diving and "curbside shopping" threads. There are people who throw away better furniture than I own, and have owned for years. We live in an area where people tend to make do for financial reasons, as well as just having made it a habit. When I think of all the things that are standing around the trashcans next to the curb when I am in town, it makes me ill and angry. I have never had an opportunity to stop and grab, either I'm highly time constrained or the car is full of kids and groceries, or the town cop is tailing me to the turnaround on the outskirts of town. However, my DH is behind me 100% in this rather "unconventional" method of acquisition. ;-) He was an experienced diver when he lived in Palm Springs in his youth. Also acquiring things at yard sales and thrift stores, and just plain hand-me-downs are my favorite way of replenishing what we need. It's ridiculous to pay retail prices and finance an item that will be broken or already have been replaced by the time you finish making payments. We're down to the only disposable purchases we make being toilet paper, tampons, and that's about it. We bought my DH a rechargable electric razor for Christmas, and I use the old "disposables" he had from before then so rarely that I still have quite the stash for my legs. It's now a challenge for me to see how long I can go without replacing some things. I have a running list on things that I won't every buy again. I also have a running list of things I'll never buy new again. I get a thrill the longer each of these lists get.

Mom to Brita 6/12/91

Logan 10/30/98
Old 06-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Here-Here!

I agree completely blueknitter! I would love to be able to dumpster dive....we just don't have good trash around here! I would be going out during the dark of night if it would do me any good . I too love garage sales, thrift stores, etc...for that very reason. I get a real charge out of getting another use out of something. I wish more people felt the same.