Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have a major hate-on for all things disposable, even though I recognize the importance of certain disposable things. We have definitely become much too reliant on all things throw-away.

I remember when disposable training pants came out in the late 80's, and the uproar they caused among old-fashioned fuddie-duddies like myself. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears... disposable training pants!

Aside from basic things such as disposable plastic cutlery, paper plates, and paper towels, I don't remember anything being disposable when I was growing up. Even disposable diapers, which were available by the time I reached my teen years, were a rarity. I didn't know anyone who used disposable diapers, nor do I remember seeing babies wearing them.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:40 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

bump!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dovetailing this post in to piggyback with the other moms who posted before me on using cloth diapers, I, too, want to echo that I used DIAPERS (cloth) in my home as well.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Goodness this is a "oldies" thread, haven't seen this one in a long time.

I still recycle wherever I can.. save all my glass jars to store dry foods.

Recycle my pop cans and make a little money too.

One thing no one thinks about but I am proud of my young friend Maddy who at 16 just had a baby. She is breastfeeding. A neighbor called me this evening and ask if Maddy could use a case of canned baby milk, her great grandson's gf changed formula and is giving it away. I called Maddy to ask if any of her friends could use it and she said all her friends are breastfeeding! How awesome to see the tide turning. Think about all those cans and canisters that will not go in the landfill with young women breastfeeding. Now if we could just convince them of using cloth diapers too.

Wow I was just looking back at some of my post on here.. 12 years ago.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 03-23-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi, Anna!

I love so many of the oldies here! Such great conversation and information!

Wow... being a mom at 16, I can't imagine. I'm with you on the turning of the tide Re: breastfeeding! That is so totally great!

Re: cloth diapers, I tend to think it was easier for moms like myself to choose old-fashioned diapers over disposables, because that was the era I grew up in. I was also an old-fashioned 1970's babysitter, so it was always cloth diapers when I babysat, so choosing the same for my own children came so easy and automatic.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna. I wish I had been a member of this forum 12 years ago! It really was a happening place!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My dh argues on paper towels that they are more sanitary.
I disagree in that the waste will go somewhere else.
I believe in cloth wipes for most everything and some diligent sanitizing to follow.
When I was home all day it was easy to run disinfection protocols, but now that I am away at work, it is harder and I do rely more on disposables.
But it is NOT more sanitary, it just leaves the house and infects stuff somewhere else down the line and out in society.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree with you, Ellen, 100%. The more we as a society can utilize and put to work the basics in the department of reusability, without having to purchase the comparable of (as in disposability), the better off we are, and in turn, not only are we selecting an environmentally friendly option, we're also eliminating added waste to the earth's solid's table.

The waste we cast (ultimately) ends up in our water table, so the less we rely on single-use products, the better, and as everyone knows, much of what consumers toss from day-to-day (single-use products) carry with them (to the landfill), contaminants, and improperly treated waste, solidifying and acutely undermining any strength for the argument of disposability.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I had one mother say to me (at the time my last two were babies), "cloth diapers are harder on the environment than disposables are".

I don't know where people garner their information from, but the diapers I used in the raising of my family were reused hundreds of times, and the waste in those diapers was properly dealt with (from day-to-day) through our modern day sewage facility sites, not disposed of in a rolled up disposable (like most do when disposing of throw-away diapers), and the detergent, bleach, and water I used to launder those diapers, paled in comparison to the water, bleach, and detergents used in the manufacturing process of disposable diapers, and that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of all the resources (both renewable and non-renewable) that go into the making of disposable diapers.

Cloth, regardless of what you are using in for (in or out of your home), cannot be beat IMO. Cloth is reusable, and the waste that occurs through the use of cloth is almost always dealt with in a more healthy and responsible way, than that of the waste that goes out with our modern day disposable alternatives.