Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-07-2002, 02:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky 1 step at a time

I am still new at trying to be frugal. August 1st was the first day of my new and improved life! I'm hoping to work a part time job and return to school soon. This will also allow me to spend more time with the kids and be there when they get home from school.

This is what I've done so far:
1. Clean out my closet, whatever hasn't been worn in 6 mos. was put in a box and am selling it on eBay. I have earned $88 towards my Christmas money to date!

Cleaning out kids closets and will be doing the same, some items will be handed down to my nephew (younger then my son).

Garage, linen closets, etc. will be next

2. Created a budget on excel and have started the envelope system (each item has an envelope: grocery money, gas & car maint, clothing, entertainment, etc. and when the money is gone I have to wait for my next paycheck! Oh and the envelopes don't believe in sharing (my rule !) Any money left over will go into a piggy bank for Christmas or a vacation/outing next year.

3. Wrote a menu and grocery list based on supermarket advertisements. So far this has worked out great! Except I forgot my lunch today!

I'm with Kimmyo... it is very sad to have to go out and buy tape or a lightbulb because I can't find where I put them!

Charmquilts... I'm glad I'm not the only one buying food we don't eat? Impulse buying... bad! I will also start using the date stamp on my pantry items! Great idea!

I love that everyone here has the same mentality and the same end result. Although we all have our own paths there...

I will continue to watch, read and learn from you all!

Thanks! Lourdes
Old 08-07-2002, 04:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

charmquilts...there is a whole thread on price books in the Meal Planning and Grocery Shopping forum! Here is the link for ya:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...=&threadid=451
Old 08-07-2002, 10:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Price Books

That sounds like a good way to do it.

Do you keep your coupons in your price book?

Most of the price books that I have seen are 3 ring binders that have a zipper around them. They have clear photo sheets in them that are sectioned off about six to nine on a page. The coupons are in these. They set up the front of the cart like a minny office. They also bring their own lage travel coffee mug or water bottle with them so they don't have to buy any thing to drink at the store.

I have never used a price book, but I am planning to start one this month.
Thanks
Kathy
Old 08-07-2002, 10:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Price Books

Kimmyo

Thanks for the link to the price book thread. I'll check it out.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frugal Tips

I think what worked for us was setting a small goal. We had alot of bills and getting no where fast. We had to sit down and talk about things like, we are not getting any where if he calls Pizza Hut to feed the kids on the nights that I'm working. He said he was to tired to watch the kids and cook most of the time. I said "Hey now you know what it's like to be a MOM." Any way to make a long story short. I went to 3rd shift for a while, I was able to work less hours and make more money.

After we paid off our first bill, it was so GREAT we looked at each other and said we can do this. In 2 years we had paid off all of our bills and had a down to buy our house.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been frugal for the last three years, but this year I have to really buckle down and save money, due to having to pay on my daughters braces. Other daughters bracer I am done paying as of last week! When I get my taxes back going to put $1,000 in my emergency fund. The rest I am going to put in my savings acct. and when I have to pay my mortgage I can pull out of the savings acct. I have $200 a month taken from my check that goes into my savings acct. to help pay my mortgage. We don't buy any junk food, cook by scratch, keep heat between 65-67. Been way to cold in MI this winter. Use coupons, only buy food that is on sale at the grocery stores. Going to put a clothesline in my basement to dry my clothes. Very seldom go out to eat, if at all. Starting to make my own cleaning products. Also, I started keeping track of what I buy at the grocery store. Look at the list and if a non-necessity I put a checkmark next to that item. Also, I try to budget as much as I can monthly. Would like to hear from anyone else how I can keep the cost down. Everyone so far has great suggestion.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am somewhat new to this site. To be honest, I used to come to the site and read the different suggestions, but then I slowly started not spending so much time on the computer and really forgot about it. I just yesterday stumbled upon it again.

I have been reading some of the suggestions about living frugally and they all sound wonderful, but I have one question, how do you keep the motivation to keep up with all of this?

What happens to me is that something will happen that will get me concerned about our money situation, so I will start trying to save and cut back but then I loose the motivation, to keep up with it all.

My husband and I have just had our first baby so that has got us looking at our money situation, as well as, we have done our taxes for last year and have found out that we have to pay federal taxes.

I would love to hear from any of you who have suggestions on how to keep the motivation. :confused:
Old 06-21-2004, 01:54 PM

Starla-

Sure hope you are still out there. I just happened to run across this old thread today I didnt even know it was here.

You ask about how to keep motivated- join us on "What did you do frugal today" where we all report frugal things we do whether it's small or large.

Sorry no one got back to you on this before now.

Anna
Old 07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Nine Year Member

Starting a frugal life

I think the easiest and quickest way to see a fast return on your money is to pull out all of your bills and start calling the companies to lower your bills. Ask for a lower interest rate and annual fee on credit cards, find out what new phone plans are available on local & long distants that better meet your phone needs, transfer credit card balances to the lowest interest rate card and cancel that high interest card, DON'T pay just the minimum on a credit card use your loose change to pay extra each month. Comparison shop around for a cheaper insurance rate then check with your insurance company and ask them to match the price on your car & mortgage or renters insurance.

Now start looking at your other bills that have more flexiblity to reduce their cost such as clothing (shop the gently used stores or clearance racks), groceries (use a price book to know when to stock up, use coupons to lower your cost, shop the sales, etc.), combine trips in the car to save on gas & wear, cook more often and freeze leftovers if you wont eat them in a couple of days, pack your lunch instead of eating out all the time.

Reduce the clutter in your home and have a garage sale, run a freebie ad in your newspaper (sell for $35 or less and you don't pay for the ad in my paper), sell online, barter with a friend, etc.. Use the money to pay on your high interest bills and put some in a savings account.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Has anyone subscribed the The Dollar Stretcher. It is an online site and newsletter, along the lines of The Tightwad Gazette. It is free, and the readers send in their own tips for every aspect of saving money and living frugally.

Sarah