Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Are you "Brand Loyal?"

Are there certain brands (foods, clothing, household items) that you ALWAYS buy?
Do you look for the best deal?
Do you always buy generic?
Or are you a mixture of these?

What makes you like the brands you buy? Have you tried the competition or do you always buy the same thing?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I used to always buy brand name,until 14 years ago, lol when dh and I got married, he is "unbelievably thrifty" and knew how to save so much on things when we first met, that alot of times he will do the grocery shopping with me, because he even looks at the unit pricing whether its brand or not,lol.,and compares to which is the better deal and sometimes it may just be the brand is a better deal, and I find this on things like dishdetergent, the generic ones have alot of water in them. The one thing I can think of that always has to be brand name (for dh) is COKE, its the only thing other than coffee he drinks, and coffee has to be Maxwell house. I buy alot of my cleaning things in dollar tree, and have no problem using them, and I buy store brand on alot of things. I found out from someone that works for a grocery chain that some of the stores name brand things (ex., canned spaghetti sauce and canned veges,actually come from brand name companies and then they put their labels on it, Im not too sure how they work it, but somehow they get good deals on things, enough to sell it at a lower price, yet still make money. Than again there are still things that the old saying applys "you get what you pay for, and I found this out just recently when I bought some cheap trash bags thinking I was getting a deal, but now I have to double them up, to use them,back to GLAD for me. At other times I will compare prices, like if I have a $1 off coupon for Yardley soap, and the store brand similar to yardleys is still less money than if I use the coupon with the yardleys, I will get the store brand. I just recently went thru this with my dd, because she was complaining at how much she spends grocery shopping and when I went with her , I notice she was getting almost all brand name things, now she is doing alot better, and the kids dont know whether they are eating generic, fruit loops or not, because she puts cereals in Tupperware containers anyhow.Same with peanut butter,and crackers, store brand is pretty similar to Ritz ,and half the price. Walmart is a good example of store brand things in the pharmacy section you can get their brand which is named Equate on alot of things and they are alot less, like Equate asap, or cold medicines and allergy medicines,and those things have to be approved by the FDA sp you know they are just as good, same with prescription medicine. In this state unless the dr specifies BRAND NAME, they can dispense the generic to you. Guess I have rambled on enough, I keep track sometimes on how much money I save by using generic and coupons etc., and last week I save almost $90, which is alot!
Old 10-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sandie, my teenage son actually told me he PREFERS the store brand chunky peanut butter because it has, in his words, "way more chunks" than the brand name kind. So, when store brand goes on sale I stock up on chunky. Everyone else likes creamy, so I get whatever's cheaper when buying that.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
There isnt a whole lot that Im brand loyal to.....

Things that I do buy all of the time under the same brand is :

Deodarent
toilet paper
tomato juice--sounds funny, huh?
I like Folgers instant decaf. coffee overal but will drink most anything.

There might be a couple other things that Im forgetting but overall, Im pretty flexible.

Sandie, You are so right about checking on the prescribed drugs that you take..... It happened to me at WalMart about 6 years ago and it really threw me for a loop because I didnt notice it in time. I take Synthroid for my Thyroid problems and the Pharmacy ( after 2 years of getting it filled there) decided to give me a generic brand all of a sudden without even telling me. Of course it was my fault too for not checking it out first before taking it. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I buy a mixture of national brands bought on sale with coupon and store brand, depends on which is cheaper. Tried store brand sanitary napkins and they were awful so I went back to national brands bought on sale with coupon but again I bounce from brand to brand. I don't like scratchy t.p. or tissues and have found most store brands are so I stay with two national brands that I like.

My sister works for a national brand paper manufacturer and she was visiting a client's factory as they were bottling ketchup and when they were finished running a national brand they brought up a skid of store brand bottles made a slight change to the recipe and filled the store brand bottles. That got her to try store brands more.

Roberta
Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I have certain things I buy only by brand and toilet paper is one I buy only Scotts. I buy a lot of generic brands. But have to agree with some of the ladies on the detergent and for sure the trash bags and some times the "zip lock" bags.
The boys don't know the diff between brand cereal and generic for the most part as I also put in other containers.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I was brand loyal to Pampers for my girls and Luvs Deluxe for Boys for my son. Also the Johnson's baby products like shampoo and baby powder.

These days the cheaper the better unless it is toilet paper that is too paper like. I like the soft stuff. It is less irritating.

Coll
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Location: Top Secret ... unless you wanna send me something! :D
Frugally loyal

I'll have to say that I'm loyal as long as the price is the best! LOL I bought the same TP for 4 years, and then tried a new one while at my friend's house and found I liked it MUCH better, so I switched -- it's only a few cents more per roll. I shop at Sam's Club, so I'm loyal in the respect that most stuff doesn't change prices. Also, DH is military, so I get GREAT deals at the commissary all the time. But I still use coupons. I have to use a specific shampoo, so I'm loyal there. I also shop Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Dollar General. There are some things I REFUSE to buy the store brands of: TP, feminine products, tissues, hmmm..actually, maybe I am a brand snob! ROFL But I don't buy the "name brands" at full price, ever.
"I'm not having this conversation."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Green is my color, but I look stunning in purple!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I buy and stock up on must haves: Coke, Lestoil and Diet Pepsi when on sale. Those are the only brands my family has to have.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:25 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

I too am loyal to Coke. No Pepsi for me.
Also when I buy teabags, it has to be Salada.

Coll