Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 10-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The only brands of mayo I will buy are Hellman's or Duke's, only tea is Celestial Seasonings, only body soap is Pure 'n' Natural, only laundry soap is Arm & Hammer, and only Depends. There are many things I will buy generic, although with careful sale-shopping combined with coupons, I can get brand names for less on many occasions. Example: Hillshire Farms kielbasa on sale - coupon is cheaper than store-brand. Even if it's MUCH cheaper, though, I don't like generic TP, mayo, ketchup, diapers, hair-care products, cosmetics, ice cream. I am fine on most generic canned goods, frozen food (other than ice cream), dairy products, paper goods other than TP, soda and other beverages. spices, and certain cleaners. We actually prefer the store brands of several things, like Winn-Dixie's pork rinds, Vitamin World's protein powder, Equate KY jelly, Publix bacon.

Brand name spray Pam and Crisco are better than generic, but I will generally buy generic anyway. I am an inveterate label-reader and won't buy generic if it has ingredients that I don't want. F'rinstance, generic yogurt has added gelatin, starch, etc., and there are only a few brands that are just plain real yogurt, and I am willing to pay more for that. Luckily, I don't use a lot of convenience foods, make almost everything from scratch.

Rani
Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I forgot I am a die hard when it comes to MAYO will only buy Krafts and that is Miracle Whip not actually mayo. Now and then will get Helmans tho' as it makes great potato salad.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I keep finding things that I am "brand loyal" too.
I buy Hellmann's and only Hellmann's mayo, heinz and only Heinz ketchup, and if I'm eating out, if it isn't Heinz, I won't use any ketchup. I prefer Mazola no-stick cooking spray but if the coupon makes it cheaper I'll get one of the other ones.
I am allergic to cleaners so I have to wear gloves when cleaning, soaps have to be mild or unscented and shampoo has to be T-gel. Allergic to that too.

Coll
Old 10-08-2005, 04:47 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am brand loyal to Jif Peanut Butter and Heinz Ketchup! IMO nothing can compare!

I know many people are very loyal to coke or pepsi, when we do drink pop its whatever is cheapest. I really like Dr.Thunder if taste tested I dont think I could tell the difference between that and Dr. Pepper!

Leighann
Old 10-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

On TP I prefer the regular Scotts. I've tried other brands and the thicker type seems to cause too many plumbing problems in my house. I'm also an avid label reader and don't use a lot of processed foods and how much sodium or sugar is in it is usually more important than brand. I prefer real or organic peanut butter but don't care what brand it is. On tomato sauce the store brands actually have less sodium in them than the brand names so I prefer the store brands on that. I am a little more careful with cleaning products since I used something from the dollar store once and it took off part of the bottom portion of the mirror in one bathroom. It has been so long that I don't remember what it was now. We also have some brass faucet and shower fixtures, which I hate since they make it so hard to clean the surrounding areas without ruining the brass. When we replace them I want something else instead of brass. I'm getting off subject here. Sorry.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Brands I'm loyal to include:

Scotts TP, Hellmanns Mayo, Heinz Ketchup, V-8, Diet Pepsi, Tuttorosso tomato products, Quaker Oatmeal, Nestlee's chocolate chips, and Old El Passo Tacco seasoning. I also buy brand-name cold cereals, but only on-sale and/or with coupons.

Then there's Sabbrett, Nathans' or Hebrew National hot dogs, and Martin's Potato breads. I also pretty much stick to Land 'o Lakes american cheese and Boar's Head coldcuts. However, I do prefer my in-store turkey breast and roast beef to the Boars' Head..

I have tried store and generic brands of all these things, but we didn't like them.. Everything else is pretty much whatever is onsale..
Old 10-23-2005, 12:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I learned how to save money when I married my second husband. During his cancer, times where hard while taking care of him and raising the two children. Even harder after his loss, and paying all the bills. I learned that most brand names didn't really matter, as long as I got what my family needed. Today I still don't go for brand names except for Dr. Pepper and the diet. My children didn't mind and my son is glad to have the little extra's I can afford for him while saving money elsewhere.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am not brand-loyal on most things, but I buy Scott toilet tissue. It lasts much longer than the cheaper brands. I am convinced that in the long run it is a better value.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am brand loyal to some brands like Scotts toilet paper and other things. Some store brands or cheaper brands don't taste any different to others, so in those cases, I buy the cheaper brand.

As most of you know, I am a radical, diehard fan of NASCAR. Therefore, I buy Coca-Cola because it is one of Bobby's sponsors. I used to buy Interstate Batteries for home use for the same reason. Now, I will buy Cheerios, Betty Crocker, and Hamburger Helper--if I ever don't want to cook from scratch for the same reason.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Happy St Patty's Day one and all. I am also Scott toilet paper diehard. I buy lots of generics too. I am back here at MY house so those that have the Parker Lane address get rid of it.