Looking for ways to help me grocery shop and stay within our budget - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Looking for ways to help me grocery shop and stay within our budget

I hate to grocery shop. I have always had DH do it but he has just started a new business and is at work all of the time. Early morning till late at night. So when he does take a day off he does not want to grocery shop. So this task is now up to me

I have always made out monthly menus that we pretty much stick to. I have made a price book out with the stores that we shop at. I have two very picky eaters there is only two meals that I can make and know that the whole family will eat, without haveing to make something else to feed my picky eaters. I have had people tell me that I should not make seprate meals for these picky eaters, but I am also a picky eater so it is nothing to me to make them something that they like.

OK we shop once a month and run to the store on Sundays for soda, milk, fruit and vegs. It is not even the end of the month and I have already went way over our $350 budget for food and I have been to the store so many times this month.

I really would love some ideas to help me get into shopping the way my DH did he would get everything I needed with just taking my menu and price book to the stores with him

Please help me
Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Kim!

Check out this forum - I think you might find some help there:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=111

Here's a forum that might give you some ideas in planning more frugal meals:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...1000&x=18&y=11
Old 01-28-2005, 10:05 AM
kellyandkids

A friend has found this really worked for her: she makes a menu plan and a shopping list and has Simon Delivers do the work for very little extra. She actually saves money as the splurge items aren't purchased and the waste is less with a planned menu. Have you every heard of plovers? Planned Leftovers! So that the first meal coordinates - a little - with the second one.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, You might want to check out this site. http;//www.menumailer.net . Leanne Ely is the creator of this site and she has a book out you might want to read ( Saving Dinner )
Old 01-29-2005, 12:17 PM
kellyandkids

Love Leanne

My kids rejected only 3 meals out of many. The rest are all hits. You can get on the e-mailed weekly menu program or buy the book - of separate recipes - Saving Dinner. Or use that library!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

where is that? a site?

(My kids rejected only 3 meals out of many. The rest are all hits. You can get on the e-mailed weekly menu program or buy the book - of separate recipes - Saving Dinner. Or use that library!)
Old 01-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Hummingbird

Its the site mentioned above: http;//www.menumailer.net

Im just now checking it out too.

The book is by Leanne Ely and is called "Saving Dinner "

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

THANKS...im gonna check it out!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I do SOOO much better when I just make a grocery list and stick to it vs. going to the store and trying to figure out what I want. Since you hate to shop, you will probably stay focused on just the items you need and get right out of there!! Plus, whatever you do DO NOT GO ON A HUNGRY STOMACH. That will blow your budget EVERY time!!

When I make my list, I try to categorize what I need by where it is located in the store. That way, I don't have to go back & forth between the aisles and be tempted by something I don't need just because I am passing it again for the 3rd time while I am trying to find something at the end of my list that I should have gotten when I first came in. I hate when that happens!!!

Hope this helps!!

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:14 PM

Good evening all!!

Hi! I am usually visiting the coupon chit chat thread or the what did you do frugal thread, but tonight I find myself here.

I usually try to read the sale fliers; make a menu plan from what is on sale; make a list, comparing the coupons I have with the sale items; stick to that list and it seems to work out. Some weeks I go over, but mostly I go under what I plan to spend.

I make my list on the back of a used envelope, usually one that junk mail came in. I put the coupons I am going to use in the envelope as I pull them from my coupon box. I also note how many I plan to buy of each item, and how many coupons I have.

I buy 4 newspapers a week, because my grocery store will accept 4 coupons coupons at a time (4 coupons, 4 of a like item). I also joined the couponaholics group at this site. I clip the coupons I will use, and then send Carol Ann the ones I don't use. She will look at my "wish list" to see what coupons she can send to me from ones others didn't want. And my unused coupons will go to others who have those items on their "wish list". I have saved hundreds this way, and even gotten lots of "free" after coupon items. BBQ sauce, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, body wash, soap, are ones that comes to mind.

I use coupons wherever I find them. Last summer, one grocery store had "blinkie" coupons for $1.00 of 5 jars of babyfood. Another grocery had that same babyfood in my area 4/$1.00. So for $.05 per jar, I stocked up on over 100 jars of babyfood using those blinkie coupons. That stash went directly to the foodbank in my area which so desperately needs baby food, of all kinds.

Also, last summer, there was a special promotion I found out about on Dixie Ware containers. At one of the grocery stores, if you bought a set of containers, the catalina machine spit out a coupon that told you your next set would be free. No other purchases needed. I got over 30 sets free, most sold two days later at my yard sale for $1.00 per set. Had I paid attention earlier in that week, I could have really cleaned up. That paid for my groceries for the coming week.

If you truly don't like shopping, try to do something fun, like make a game out of it. I try to see how much I can shave off the groceries I buy with coupons. It makes the items that don't ever have coupons more palatable.

Well, that's all I've got. I am sure there are a lot more tips that fit other's situations.

Well, I better go for now, and what out what is on the other threads.

Take care all!! Norma