Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Frugal laundry question

I sorted through my laundry last night and remembered something I'd thought of before... we have so many undergarments that they take up a lot of room in the washing machine and the dryer. It just seems to me that if they could be hand-washed and dried, I'd have room for other dirty clothes in the machines!

Which brings me to the question... does anybody here hand-wash their family's "unmentionables" and have luck getting the, erm, "odor" out? If so, would you share it with me, since I've tried several different ways and can't quite seem to find one that works well enough?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2005, 05:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hand washables

sometimes I hand wash my bras in the sink. The underwires last a bit longer that way. As for the underwears, I am not that efficient to wash them adequately. Or a good idea is to keep all of them seperate from the other wash and wash them on the gentle cycle. If I am having a bad day, I put it all in the washer there is always too much laundry to do. Hope this helps
Old 01-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

odor out.

The best way to get the "odor" is to soak them with soap or with a little mixture of Downey overnight.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

smell away

I use cloth diapers and I've noticed they smell if I use too much or too little laundry soap. After I've washed them. I use a "downy ball" to measure the amount of distilled vinegar to add to the rinse water. I fill the ball up half way to the top and pour the vinegar into the rinse water. Then I put them through an extra rinse cycle using clean water if they still smell. That usually does the trick. I have used this method on our under garments as well and it works. We have hard water. You may have to experiment if your water is soft. I hope this helps.

Shelley in Ga.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When I was washing cloth diapers I would run them through a rinse cycle before washing to rinse out the urine and any bowel residue. I used the liners which helped keep the diapers cleaner as you could pick up the solids to flush away which helps keep the odor down.

Roberta
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

In Europe we have a wonderful thing called Marseille soap, I'm sure you can get it in natural stuff stores. It's all-natural, doesn't mess up your hands, makes whites super-white, gets out almost ANY stain, and all odours. You can use it on the most delicate fabrics, too.
The most common form it comes in is a solid block of soap, but you can also find a liquid form (not as effective on stains though).
I'm sure you can get it in the states too. It may be quite a bit more expensive that you normal bar of soap, but it lasts a long time, so if you see it, get it!

Old 01-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

i sort my laundry into a sprter with three bags one for jeans and work tee shirts one for my finer washables such as sweatewrs ans slacks and one for towels. then i have a bucket for whites and a small pail for the underwear like mine and my daughters and gowns i have a cycle on my machine for handwash i put int he unmentionables with the woolite for them and downy and use this cycle works well and then i hang to dry on arack in my laundry room i doo the sam e for handwashable sweaters.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A couple remedies are possible here:

When I do undies and socks by hand, I use a old fashioned washboard.

If they are smelly, I would suggest soaking them in a vinegar wash for 5-10 minutes ahead, rinse and wash as usual.

For stains, believe it or not the best thing I've found is coffee soap. Felsnapha works pretty well too.

Anna
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I put all my (ladies') undies in a zippered net bag and wash in the machine, then hang to dry. They last much longer that way and bra hooks don't pull on other clothing. Men's and boys underwear all go in with cotton whites and lights, washer and dryer, and that's that. I really don't care for hand-washed panties.

Rani
Old 02-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

spray stain remover

Does anyone delute liquid detergant to use as a stain remover? I was thinking of trying this when I'm out of the Shout refill that I bought recently. I figured there was no sense to spend the $5 on the refill jug if liquid detergant would work.

Roberta