Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

logo removal from dress shirts

My husband just lost his job. He was required to buy sport and dress shirts with the company logo. Many of the dress shirts are almost new microfiber or cotton blen shirs from Land's End. I would like to remove the logos so he can still use the shirts. Has anyone done this successfully? There is a stabilizer under the stitching on the inside that seem to be fused on. How can I remove this, and remove the stitch marks?

Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Vinegar in your rinse water will take care of any odors and also diaper rash if you use cloth diapers.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Does anyone know how to get blood off of sheets and a comforter?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I used to use LOC from Amway for anything organic. I still use it but also found that dishwashing soap works well, too. It is meant to cut grease and the new ones with 'oxygen eaters' work really well on stains.

I also like Wisk as the primary presoak. Even for blood.

When we did cloth diapers we used Dreft or Ivory Snow, I think it is similar to Fels Naptha and Marseille. It plus the vinegar is a good trick.

Also, a box of borax will definitely be useful for whitening, (and for ant repellant). Hanging on the line outdoors will whiten and sanitize (it has to do with the uv rays).

I only have 4 kinds of wash (whites and lights, towels, jeans, and darks). We have a old septic and must conserve water.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have only 2 types of washing, light and dark! Lazy i guess, but never had a problem.I only use the generic non-biological.
I have just discovered the 'no heat' setting on the temp gauge on my new washing machine, so will be trying that on the next load. Never have before and looking for savings at the mo.
As for blood, I have soaked in a little bicarb (baking soda?) before now if it didn't come out in the wash, then wash again, seems to work. I found that rinsing immediately after the "spillage" is the best way, then a full wash.
Never tried to get stitching off a shirt but I guess I would just pick at it, or sew another patch over the top. Definately would find a way to make them suitable for wearing! Hope that you find a way preacherswife.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

When our washing machine broke down and we didn't have money for the laundry mat, I used hot water and soap in a bucket--and used a plunger to agitate everything(bought new from the dollar store, lol!). Now if things are odorous, I still use the same method. I also add a bit of vinegar to the water. If I weren't so lazy, I'd probably still use this method lol! It was quite effective, and the idea was to wash the cleanest first and work towards the dirtiest. Saved us a ton on the water bill, even during the summer when we were watering the lawn and the veggie garden!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Honeybee---I'm with you! I've tried to be more laundry concious, but all I ever see is light and dark. Luckily, I usually buy all my clothes really cheap, so I don't think I'm ruining them faster this way! It sure makes doing the laundry much easier! Even my husband can do this! Now if I can just get him to stop over stuffing the washer...
Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

lol Janelle--don't you know that there doesn't have to be room in the washer for the water? As long as the clothes get to spin around it counts rofl!!

Actually, I have found myself being a bit more conscietious of the way I do laundry. Though like you guys, most of my stuff is of the "wash and wear" variety--I don't have to sort except for the towels(washed in warm water) and the occassional load of whites, since I don't bleach everything all the time, just when it gets dingy. Since I line dry most of the time, I "sort" loads so I can get it all to fit in the drying area lol!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Happy face hand laundry "odor"

When we used cloth diapers, I put a little Borax in the diaper pail. They came out white and "odor" free. Soaking in this could solve the under thing problem, too.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks, preacherswife, for the reminder about borax sweetening the odors! I had forgotten!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."