Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I use the pennies in the jar, its is great, I put all the change under 1 in the jar at the end of the day (I am training dh to do the same) and it is great for the quick shop for just milk etc.. just take out the exact amount you need, it adds up so quickly too. At the end of last week, even after milk money we had over 3.50 in the jar, thats not bad for a week of not actually making an effort!

I am new to this frugal thing also, we are saving to fly back to England twice in the next 4 months for 2 important weddings we just couldn't miss, one is my best friend in the entire world, who was also at the birth of my first daughter and the other dh has had the honour of being best man. We are also moving back to the Uk in October where we don't get the extra money we get for being overseas and the cost of living is extremely high, it is also not far from Christmas and we have 3 family birthdays inbetween the move and christmas! I am planning NOW, six months in advance (for the move), it is the best I can do, and if we end up struggling financially, well, we will cope. I know I did my best.

I haven't got tired with frugality yet and it is still a "game" and a challenge but then I am so new to it, I love to come here after a long day and sit and read all about how everyone else is doing. It is hard, even for a new person to it like me, I cannot imagine how it will be in the future, I won't preach and give advice on something I know so little about, I just thank you for giving me so many ideas and hope. And of course the permission to have faith in myself that I CAN do it. I am "energised" and given hope in the future by people like you Amanda, and I just hope we can be there for you as you are so faithfully with us. The smallest things, happy or sad, are worth mentioning. So I will say to you what you said to me in my weightloss journal on my very first day. "Chin Up". (just sending you a little bit of my good day to make yours a little better)

Oh and my dh is an impulse spender too it makes we want to scream!!! He is in serious training with a personal trainer..me! He now knows how tough it is going to be, I have spelled it out to him in very small words so he understands, and well, he will just have to put up with it. Especially if he wants to be able to afford to eat!
I am also training myself, thanks to you.

Sally
Honeybee
Old 03-12-2002, 06:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When I need to get re-motivated I re-read The Tightwad Gazette. With her sense of humor, I enjoy reading it. I also try to make a game out of it. How much money can I save if I do this . . . . and then I try something new every week or so.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am currently working my way through it!!! She is quite funny and there are some great tips! Some completely barmy tips too that I wouldn't do in a million years, but I enjoy reading it and am trying to implement one or two things. I am not even half way through it! So don't tell me who did it in the end.......
Old 03-13-2002, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Being frugal shows my husband that I appreciate how hard he works. I want to be careful with our money and make the most of what he brings home. We have changed our attitudes of "because we work hard we DESERVE a treat" to "let's respect how much hard work it took to make this money by using it as wisely as possble." We are focusing on the delayed "treat" of having a large down payment when we purchase our home. I also try to make a game of it. Checking out the message boards for support helps too.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Renee
Being frugal shows my husband that I appreciate how hard he works. I want to be careful with our money and make the most of what he brings home. We have changed our attitudes of "because we work hard we DESERVE a treat" to "let's respect how much hard work it took to make this money by using it as wisely as possble."

You have a great attitude Renee! I'm sure we can all benefit from your positive enthusiasm!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Everyone has a different definition of being frugal. What might be frugal for one person might not be for the next due to their circumstances.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree...frugal is being wise with what we have been given or earned...

I get frustrated because I could so easily become like the people on the reality show Extreme Tightwads (or something like that)

sometimes I purposely don't do something frugal in rebellion of what I think is being too strict with myself!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Very well written Ziggee!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Whatever I do in life I like dominate every aspect and facet of it... frugality being no exception, so for me practicing frugality and conquering any obstacles along the way provides me with strength, confidence, and satisfaction.

I find frugality grows on you if you allow it to. In some circumstances I've treated frugality like a game, with intent on winning.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We save water from baths/showers to flush our toilets. To some that is extreme for us it's to save water and lower our water bill. We also save water from washing dishes to water our plants out doors. To some that is extreme for us it's cutting down our water usage.