Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Making it without an income

Dh lost his job last week and only got 2 weeks salary. We are being as frugal as possible while he looks for another job. We don't have a lot in savings, so it is quite tight around here. We can make it about 2 months on the money we have. Dh was out of work for almost 2 years only 5 months ago, so we spent most of our savings.

I would sure appreciate your advise for keeping expenses down. We have cancelled the cell phone, stopped eating out(of course!), cut the grocery bill by about a third and generally are watching every penny.

This is not a pity party. I am seeing this as a challenge!

Thanks so much for your help,
Jenna
Old 05-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jenna,
First I want to say, you know you are in my thoughts and prayers, that your husband will find work soon.
Having been in your shoes 2 years ago, I know the frustration of a husband being layed off.
Our situation , now, isn't exactly the same, but our income was cut by a third last week when I (as you know) quit my job.
We too, would appreciate any frugal tips shared here.

Are there any relatives you could live with until your husband finds a job? That is what we ended up doing as there was no way we could pay our bills....or go totally broke in the couple months we could have tried to get by. We lived with my parents for several months.
Are you looking at this as an opportunity to move elsewhere or do you prefer to stay where you are? I know you have talked in other threads about wanting to move into a small cottage type house. That is EXACTLY what my husband and I did after he found a job. We downsized quite a bit. Even though now, we are still trying to replace the things we sold, in the long run, I am very happy with our decision. We went from a huge house, ashamedly too big for just the 2 of us into a comfortable 2 bedroom cottage across the street from a park and a 8 block walk to my husbands office.

I guess what I am trying to say, is you can use this as an opportunity to make some decisions about where you want to be, etc... Is there some other type of work your husband always wanted to try? This could be a chance.
Is there someplace you would rather live? This could be a chance.
I am not saying it is easy.
We are STILL playing financial catchup.
These are just some things to think about though.
Please know that I care!!!!

hugs,train
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you so much, hon!

We have been seriously considering moving to a smaller city, that my DH was raised in. However, it would mean leaving our families, including DD. I don't know if we can do this! The housing prices are considerably less, but I don't know if I would enjoy living there without any family. We don't have a big house now, so we wouldn't be able to save money buying anything smaller. We have thought about buying a home with a suite in the basement, so we could make income from renting. It seems like it just isn't a good time to make decisions like this! However, we have to, I guess. We had been considering buying investment property, so we could have income in this kind of situation. Just didn't have time to save the money first! After the last unemployment, we aren't so comfortable with waiting to be paid by an employer. It is a bit uncertain, at best.

We are doing the best we can with the money we have left. Pleasant food is the fare these days! So far, so good! I enjoy having Dh home. He is a great sport with eating weiners and beans, cabbage(again!!), etc.

How are things going with you, sweetie? I know that you are having to tighten your belts right now too.

Thank you for your loving support, Donna. I really appreciate your caring.

Jenna
Old 05-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You hang in there, girlfriend and know that we are eating weiners and beans out here ,too!!!! Actually, I think I've eaten 5 bologna sandwiches this week.........but we were together, and that was nice!! (We never were able to eat meals together when I worked overnight so even bologna together is nice!! LOL!!!)
I am doing OK, but know that I have to start looking for work again soon. Meanwhile, am enjoying "just being home," something I havn't been able to do in ages!!! Thanx for asking about me!

Oh boy, I don't think I could move away from my family again. When Mark and I married 12 years ago, we were transferred to another city, away form my family. In the next 9 years we would be transferred to 3 more states!! When Mark was layed off 2 years ago in Texas we took that as on "opportunity" to move BACK to where my family was!! I have always been close to my parents and had missed them so terribly much. I know, in faith, I needed to be with my husband, wherever our marriage took us, but not having any children, I think made it even harder on me being away from ANY family. In the past 2 years we have "made up for lost time" my parents and us. What I am trying to say is, if you are close to your family, it is so hard being away. I do make friends pretty easily but still, it is hard to start over. It's especially hard not having family around.
I guess I wasn't thinking when I was suggesting to you, moving: that your family was already right there where you are.
It's a tough decision, I know. So many things to consider.
I wouldn't wish for you, or anyone to be in this boat.
Remember to get out of the house, even if it is just a little walk, or going to a coffeeshop, or park.. I remember after awhile, Mark and I had been talking and talking and talking.......saying the same things over again and again, in frustration and getting nowhere. It was hard for him to even look for work when he was so let down from being layed off. Really crushed his ego.

I just want you to know I care.
Love, Donna
Old 05-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

first off let me say im sorry and i know what your going thru. my dh fell off a tanker truck at work 12 weeks ago, we still dont know whats wrong with him, when or if he will ever go back to work. so we are lucky as we have disablity altho its about 500 or so less than what we are used to.

what ive done so far is put my extra cars up for sale, started going thru things and getting ready for a rummage sale, and downsizing our life. if joe dont go back to work, ill have to.i have an associates degree in information processing, with a minor in computers. however i live in a small town. and the other close town is only 5200 so finding a job could be a bit daunting. but ill try.

in our favor, we dont have a house payment, as our trailer is paid for. but we do have to pay lot rent, and buy horse feed, and pay some other bills. can we make it on the money we have, yes. do i like it..no.

what id tell you first is to get all your bills together, try to see if you can pay off some with the 2week severnce, and the rest, start calling and explain your situation. plus id sign up for all the help you can get, and look into getting unemployment. i keep a book with a running tab of what we need to pay and try to work around that in our budget. im sorry this is happening to you, and im not much help. pm me if you want someone to talk to.

have a good day
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM

Jenna-

I wish I had a solution to your current problem but unfortunately I don't. I did want to say though to call on any of us on the frugal living thread for advice on how to cut corners and I'm sure any of us would be more than willing to share. I went through something similiar in 2001 after 911. My husband got his hours cut and then cut some more. They permanantly layed off several people although most of that was "cleaning house" deadbeat workers but it sure was scary!

We had to take a big step back and evaluate what we could do:
We had just bought a brand new truck after our old ones kept breaking down and falling apart and we didn't want to loose the only reliable transporatation we had so we paid off what bills we could, cut out all the extra's such as ordering pizza's, got a bill consoliation loan so that all our credit cards and truck loan were condensed into one payment and have stuck with a budget that we both know about. Work has improved dramaticly since then although they still aren't giving out decent raises or bonus's but after 911 we just keep reminding ourselves to be thankful we have a job. We're not out of the woods yet, we still have a year and a half left on our loan and god willing, we will be in good shape then. You just never know what life is going to throw your way.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Anna
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Nine Year Member

making it without an income

I'm sure you know all about the cutting cost manuvers and have done them already i.e. change phone/cable plans, increase insurance deductables to lower cost, calling credit card and other debts about lowering the interest rates & removing the annual fee to set up a lower monthly payment.

If you have hospital & medical bills check to see if your area has a low income rate reduction plan where part of your bill will be written off, apply for low income heating rates with your gas/electric company, apply at the food bank in your area, call your county to see what other plans are available for low income families such as commodiates (free government food), free insulation for your home, one time medical payment, food stamps, medical card, welfare, etc.

If you have the space plant some veggies to help with the grocery bill, go in with friends to buy in bulk in my area you can buy 50 lbs of potatoes really cheap (who has the storage space?). Now is the time to buy fresh produce cheap at farmer markets and freeze for the winter.

Take the time to sort through your belongings and decide what you don't need can it be sold, donated for a tax deduction, or if it is trash then put it there. Sort and deep clean your house now while you have the time.