Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thanksgiving What a wonderful holiday! From turkey and dressing to getting the whole family together and enjoying the day. What do you do on Thanksgiving? Tell us about it!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:58 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lightbulb Let's Share Thanksgiving recipes

Brandy and Orange-Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups
Serving Size : 8

7 large sweet potatoes
4 large oranges
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest until just cool enough to handle.

Lower the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make the orange cups by cutting the oranges in half and scooping out the pulp, leaving only the shell. Set aside.

While still somewhat hot, peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Discard the skins and tough, stringy fibers. Add the butter, and with an electric mixer, beat out the lumps. Add the sugar, eggs, orange juice, heavy cream, and brandy, and mix until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Re-season, to taste.

Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups, mounding and smoothing the top. Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 20 minutes.

Cranberry Sauce with Bourbon

12 ounces cranberries
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup bourbon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir ingredients together. Place in the oven for 1 hour. Stir contents occasionally during cooking.

Tastes best when it has had time to sit, for example, 2 weeks. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavours.

Store in a refrigerator indefinitely.

NOTES: Sometimes, we add Grand Marnier instead.

Cranberry-Orange Walnut Scones
Serves: 16

3 cups cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons orange zest -- grated
1 cup cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts -- chopped
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons half and half
2 teaspoons sugar

Preheat your oven to 425 and butter a baking sheet. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend the butter into the dry ingredients, using your fingertips or a pastry blender, until the mixture is crumbly. Add the orange zest, cranberries and walnuts and toss to combine. Add the milk and juice, and stir until the dough is rough.

Gather the dough together and place on a floured work surface. Knead gently about 10 times. Divide the dough in half and pat each piece into a circle about 6 inches in diameter and about inch thick. To glaze, brush the circles with the half and half and sprinkle with sugar. Cut each circle into eight pie-shaped wedges. Place the scones, barely touching, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until puffy and golden, 15 to 18 minutes.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4

Avoid using unusually large garlic cloves, which will not soften adequately during toasting. Yukon Gold, red, russet, or white potatoes can be used--each turns out a different texture. For smooth mashed potatoes, a food mill or potato ricer fitted with the finest disk is the best choice. For chunky mashed potatoes, use a potato masher, decrease the half-and-half to 3/4 cup, and mash the garlic to a paste with a fork before you add it to the potatoes.

22 small to medium-large garlic cloves (about
3 ounces, or 2/3 cup) from 2 medium heads garlic,
skins left on
2 pounds potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup half-and-half, warm
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Ground black pepper

1. Toast garlic, covered, in small skillet over lowest possible heat, shaking pan frequently, until cloves are dark spotty brown and slightly softened, about 22 minutes. Off heat, let stand, covered, until fully softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Peel cloves and, with paring knife, cut off woody root end. Set aside.

2. While garlic is toasting, place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with 1 inch water. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender (a paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potatoes with very little resistance), 20 to 30 minutes. Drain.

3. Set food mill or ricer over now empty but still warm saucepan. Spear potato with dinner fork, then peel back skin with paring knife (illustration 2, below). Working in batches, cut peeled potatoes into rough chunks and drop into hopper of food mill or potato ricer along with peeled garlic. Process or rice potatoes into saucepan.

4. Stir in butter with wooden spoon until incorporated; gently whisk in half-and-half, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 11-14-2002, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanksgiving dishes

Jen - great idea!

Here are some of our "regular" holiday dishes:

Broccoli Casserole - 8 servings
3/4 C mayo
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkg (10z) frozen chopped broccoli
1 can cream of broccoli soup
2 eggs, beaten
1 box croutons
1/2 C butter, melted

Mix mayo, soup, cheese and eggs together in a bowl. Add broccoli and mix well. Pour mix into a slightly greased (spritz with non-stick spray) 9 x 13 casserole.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350* for ~ 25 minutes (until bubbly).

Mix croutons with butter and spread over broccoli. Bake 5 - 10 minutes (until croutons are browned).

Baked Sweet Potatoes
This is a family recipe (my grandmother has been making it for as long as I can remember) and we don't really measure anything.

8 - 10 sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into large chunks
1 stick of butter
sugar
dark molasses

Boil potatoes until just done - you don't want them mushy. Remove from water and place in a 9 x 13 casserole.

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add sugar and dark molasses until you have enough to pour over top of the potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350* for 30 minutes until it's hot & bubbly. Remove the foil and bake for 5 - 10 more minutes.

The potatoes can be cooked a day ahead of time.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:26 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

My mother makes a Broccoli Casserole similar...she uses Velvetta and Ritz crackers!

And the Sweet Potatoes sound good!

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 10-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I love Thanksgiving

I almost never try a new recipe for Thanksgiving. If I do it is an appetizer. Even the desserts don't vary much. To me, Thanksgiving is the day to eat all the same food you ate every Thanksgiving as a kid!

There is a good chance I'm cooking for my DH's family this year but they will have to eat the food I had in MY family when I was growing up. Here's what will probably be on my menu:

Turkey with Sausage stuffing like my grandmother made
Mashed potatoes (DH does these. He makes fantastic mashed potatoes. Mine are always lUmPy....)
Mashed turnips (really rutabagas but my grandmother always called them turnips)
Corn (I use frozen. The family used canned :p )
Homemade rolls the way my other grandmother made them. We never had these in the same meal as the rest of these traditional dishes but they're still a memory trip for me.

Apple pie
Chocolate cream pie

Appetizers are still up in the air and it depends on who's coming. There WILL be raw vegetables with dip, no matter what.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I need to come up with a kid-friendly, non-messy dessert option for Thanksgiving.
Thought about ice cream but I don't want to have to depend on having freezer space!
I will be serving apple pie and chocolate cream pie. There will be children there who undoubtedly won't like either of those things. Anyone have a good idea for something I can make a day or so ahead, for non-adventurous eaters?
Old 11-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Barbszy....

I'd make a few cookies...chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar cookies. Also, perhaps a couple of different flavors of jello & to one of them add fruit ****tail or sliced peaches. I'd also have some fresh fruit on-hand that kids favor...bananas, apples, grapes. IMO, that ought to cover just about everyone!

Good wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

what an observant spellchecker!!! hahaha!

i even went back to edit my previous post, thinking "I don't remember doing that!"....but no matter, fruit ****tail shows with asterisks!! I love it!! hahaha
Old 11-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Dadia!
I did make some sugar cookie dough today. Since we will be a small group at Thanksgiving, I figure 1 kind of cookie will have to cover it I'll bake up the cookies tomorrow night so they'll be nice and fresh for Thursday.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey Barbszy,
Have you seen those food markers? They look like regular markers but I guess have food coloring in them. You could have the kids write what they are thankful for right on the sugar cookies.
Even more fun, have everyone there write what they are thankful for on 1 cookie then try to guess who wrote what
Old 09-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My Grandmother's Menu (Recipes to Follow)

I remember Thanksgivings and Christmases back in the 40's. I lived with my Mom and Grandmother (Grandfather died in 1946 and parents were divorced in 1945).

Grandmother always made a REALLY big deal of both these meals. She originally was from Kentucky, so the menu and recipes are from that base.

The Menu

Appetizers:
Celery sticks with cream cheese spread
Green olives
Carrot sticks
****tails
crackers

Meal:
Tomato Aspic on Lettuce Bed
Turkey with Cornbread/Breadcrumb dressing/stuffing
Cranberry Sauce (the jellied kind - although I now prefer the cranberry-orange recipes - with and without booze in them)
Sweet Potato Souffle in Orange Shells
Rice
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Biscuits
Oyster Dressing
Sweet Iced Tea (the kind that was cloudy)
Water

Dessert:
Charlotte Russe
Demi-tasse coffee

Later:
Kentucky Bourbon Balls
Eggnog (the kind you have to eat with a spoon and makes you "tipsy" just smelling it)

In the days following we would have Leftovers:
Oyster Soup
Turkey Sandwiches
Turkey Hash
Turkey Croquettes
Turkey and Rice Pie

Being just a trifle revisionist, I modified the menu. Here is the menu from the dinners I used to prepare:

Roast Turkey with Dressing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Souffle in Orange Shells
Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts
Holiday Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry-Orange Relish
Biscuits
Mincemeat Pie
Charlotte Russe
Eggnog

Now, with the kids grown and married, one of them will host T-giving each year. Everyone brings one or more dishes and we totally pig out.

Youngest son hosted last year. He baked individual small loaves (big rolls?) of bread, 1 for every two people. We broke them and shared them at the blessing. It was very touching, and a wonderful tradition. He got teary at the blessing, recalling all the things we have to be thankful for. He's the sentimentalist of the three - and I really love that in him!

Recipes will gradually be posted - I promise! Please be patient!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth