Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thanksgiving What a wonderful holiday! From turkey and dressing to getting the whole family together and enjoying the day. What do you do on Thanksgiving? Tell us about it!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yum... love the pumpkin mousse recipe. The cornucopia looks festive. I think I'll make brocolli casserole for dinner tomorrow.

I cannot get my family to eat any stuffing except stove top... but I'll keep trying!

Thank you ladies!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member

Happy face

Ginger-Orange Cranberry Sauce

1 bag (12-0unce) Cranberries

1 Cup Orange Juice

1 Cup packed Brown Sugar

2 teaspoons (or more if you like ginger) grated ginger

Combine in a saucepan and stir. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, or until the berries begin to pop. Turn off the heat. Leave the sauce on the burner to cool. That's it: you now have cranberry sauce.

Last edited by HAPPY6; 11-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Head Moderator

Chestnut Stuffing - recipe from Crystal River Lodge in the heart of the Rockies

1/3 cup pork sausage
1 cup ground chestnuts
3 cups bread crumbs
1 aspple, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp onion, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the porlk sausage and then mix all the ingredients together. Makes enough to stuff a 10 pound turkey.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 11-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I bought a spiral ham today for
Thanksgiving, not sure what else except
Cranberry sauce gotta have that even
tho' not having turkey. But since we
like stuffing/dressing will be having that
too.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Nine Year Member

MAMA LOUISE’S BRUSSELS SPROUTS
INGREDIENTS

Vegetable oil
1 pound Brussels sprouts
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup chicken stock
Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts, and stir slowly until lightly browned. Add butter and chicken stock, cover, and reduce to medium-low heat. Let simmer until fork tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Do not overcook.

Last edited by HAPPY6; 11-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member

Many people think of Brussels sprouts as “cute little cabbages” but prefer not to eat them, usually because they’ve only experienced them mushy and overcooked. Brussels sprouts should be steamed or simmered very briefly, just until they’re beyond the raw stage. That way, they’ll stay nice and green on the outside and white and delicious on the inside
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I don't want them mushy but do want
them cooked, This recipe sounds good just wish
my printer was not out of ink
Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member

Ingredients

* 1 package (12 ounces) fresh /or/ frozen cranberries, thawed
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
* 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 2 teaspoons lime juice
* 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
* 1/4 teaspoon /each/ ground allspice, cinnamon and cumin
* Tortilla chips

Directions

* Place the cranberries, sugar, chilies, cilantro, onions, lime juice,
* peel and spices in a food processor; cover and pulse just until
* blended. Transfer to a serving bowl; chill until serving. Serve with
* chips. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
I found this in the Taste of Home magazine a couple of years ago. It is simply outstanding. I add about 1/4 tsp salt in my version and have never remembered the lime peel, but certainly don't miss it. I have frozen green chiles in my freezer that I use rather than canned. I normally make a double recipe and go slightly overboard on the cilantro, just because I love it. Last time I served it, it was pronounced "magical." It goes very well at Thanksgiving or any holiday or any day.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member

Many years ago in the 1950's my sister sent me this recipe. I make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I took this to a potluck years ago. The people loved it and the ladies all got the recipe. They thought it would be good to freeze and have on hand. Later that year I found it in many of the chruch and school cookbooks. I love sharing recipes. I also like that people bring us fresh cranberries to have in our freezer. We live near the cranberry bogs and this year the neighbor brought us a 5 gallon bucket full.

Florence's Raw Cranberry Christmas Salad

1 (12-ounce) package fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cups sugar
In a blender or food processor, process cranberries until coarsely ground. Pour into a bowl; add sugar. Cover and chill for 1 hour. (or overnight)
Add:
1 (2 cups) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups miniature marshmallows
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Fold in and serve:
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Can be Frozen
Transfer to greased square dishes. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer about 45 minutes before serving. Cut into squares.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is another odd Holiday year for us. Last year we were at a relatively local restaurant for Thanksgiving b/c my DH's deep fryer burner was busted in the move out to MD from AZ. Well we're still here, but now we are living in a hotel. They are offering Thanksgiving "dinner" as part of their M-Th dinner special, but no desert. SO, we have made reservations at a Buca De Pepo's for a Traditional American - Italian Thanksgiving dinner w/Desert.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins