Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thanksgiving What a wonderful holiday! From turkey and dressing to getting the whole family together and enjoying the day. What do you do on Thanksgiving? Tell us about it!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:05 AM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I always host the Thanksgiving meal for the family. Kelly's mom comes down from Virginia Beach and she always makes her famous Apple Pie, that is a given!!

Menu:

Pork Shoulder
Turkey with bread dressing ( l love cornbread dressing, so I make a small batch for myself)
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Whole cranberry relish
Sweet potato casserole
Corn
Green beans/Butter beans
Rolls, homemade

Desserts:

Apple Pie
Tipsy Cake
Cookies
Peanut Butter Balls
Baby Ruth Bars

Appetiziers:

Celery with cream cheese
Green & Black olives
Gherkin pickles
various cheeses and crackers

Snacks for later:

bacon wrapped tater tots
turkey sandwiches
ham sandwiches (pork shoulder it's just like a ham in flavor)
sausage balls
anything else that may be made up
Old 09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sort of Homemade Stuffing / Dressing

Kellydid - great to see your menu! Will you be posting some recipes to go with it? I'm especially interested in the "tipsy pie!" It sounds intriguing!!

Here's the first recipe - my "Sort Of Homemade Stuffing/Dressing"

1 large bag Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Dressing
1 large bag Pepperidge Farms Bread Dressing
2 crisp / sweet-tart apples (I use Gala) - cored and diced - leave skin on!
1 c broken pecan pieces
3 stalks celery - diced very fine
3 carrots - scraped and diced very fine
2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow, orange, your choice) - cleaned and diced finely - OPTIONAL
1/2 c raisins - plumped (may substitute dried cranberries or other dried fruit if desired)
1 # sweet Italian sausage - removed from it's skins, browned, crumbled and drained
4 hardboiled eggs, sliced and diced
A little extra pepper if desired, but no added salt!

2 sticks butter (the real stuff)
boiling stock from turkey neck and giblets - amount according to packages of mix + 1 cup

Put the (dry) Pepperidge Farms Dressings in a huge bowl. Add the rest of the dry ingredients, including the eggs, and mix thoroughly.

Add the butter to the stock and stir until it melts. Gradually add the buttered stock to the dry mix and gently stir with a fork until completely wet, but not "mushy." There probably will be some buttered stock left over.

Gently stuff the bird (if that's what you want to do) and put it in the oven. Put the rest of the dressing in a casserole dish and cover. Refrigerate.

About 30 minutes before serving, put the casserole of dressing in the oven, covered. Uncover 10 minutes before serving and allow to brown on top.

This is a wonderful if I do say so myself - but, then, I'm a "stuffing nut." I loooooove it!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-18-2004, 01:31 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes I am a firm believer in "sharing" recipes. We were stationed in Michigan with a lady (?) who never shared her recipes!! She claimed she didn't want to go somewhere and see other people "copying" her food because they would never make it as good as she could!!!! The nerve!

The Tipsy Cake is one I make every year for my Daddy and us. It is his favorite Thanksgiving/Christmas dessert and I ususally make it for both holidays. Sometimes he will ask for Pecan Pie at Christmas, also...just depends.

I will be backk to post later.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just subscribing. Can not wait to share recipes.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tomato Aspic on Lettuce Bed

TOMATO ASPIC #1

In her dotage, my grandmother tried to give me the recipe for this jelled salad. She, unfortunately, didn't include the entire recipe. With the help of the "Southern Living Cookbook," I think I have reconstructed it in the right proportions, but if you don't like it this way, experiment! -- Elizabeth

3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 Tbsp chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. chopped bell pepper
variety lettuce leaves
large pinch red pepper
dash Worcestershire Sauce
1 (46 oz) can tomato juice (may substitute up to 1/3 with V-8)
1 c. chopped celery
1/4 tsp ground cloves
dash Tabasco
2 Tbsp vinegar
Add vinegar, onions, and spices to juice. Stew until onions are very soft. Let cool.
Soften gelatin in 1 1/2 c. juice mixture. Let stand 1 minute. Cook mixture over medium heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in stewed juice. Chill until partly jelled (about like egg whites). Fold in celery and bell pepper (you can use any color, but using green and yellow adds color to the aspic).
Spoon into lightly oiled custard cups (or coffee cups, or into a 6-cup mold - whatever). Cover. Chill overnight.
To serve, if you used custard cups or coffee cups as molds, put variety lettuce leaves on salad plates. Unmold aspics onto plates, one per person. Top with mayonnaise or blue cheesed cream cheese (below). If you used a large mold, put variety lettuce leaves onto a plate that is about 3 inches larger in diameter than the mold. Unmold aspic onto plate. Put lettuce leaves in the center and top with mayonnaise or "Blue Cheesed Cream Cheese" (below).

TOMATO ASPIC #2

This is a “variation on a theme that you may find more appealing.

2 1/2 c. canned tomatoes
1 Tbsp minced onion
Stalk celery, diced
Dash cayenne pepper
mayonnaise
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. cold water
1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
lettuce
Combine tomatoes, salt, celery and pepper. Boil 10 minutes. Soak gelatin in cold water for 5 min. Add to hot mixture with vinegar (or lemon juice). Stir until dissolved. Strain. Add onion. Pour into 6 small wet molds, and chill. When firm, unmold onto lettuce. Garnish with mayonnaise or "Blue Cheesed Cream Cheese."

You can use these basic aspic recipes to jelly just about anything! Substitute other liquids for tomatoes. You can jelly chicken salad, tuna or salmon salads, fruit salads, etc, etc, etc!! Limited only by your imagination!! -- Elizabeth Riggs

BLUE CHEESED CREAM CHEESE

When I was teaching at Clemson University in the ‘80's, I just fell in love with the University Dairy Store Blue Cheese. Incredible stuff! If you can manage to get it some way or another, you should always use Clemson Blue Cheese! (Better than the “french stuff,” I assure you!)

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
4 - 8 oz blue cheese (Clemson Blue Cheese is best!)
1/2 c milk
1 tsp lemon juice
Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Beat cream cheese with milk until smooth. Add blue cheese and mix until not quite smooth, but no big lumps. Stir in lemon juice.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-20-2004, 08:09 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

TIPSY CAKE

Plain yellow cake (either from mix or from scratch)
almonds 1/4 lb. toasted
whipping cream 1 pint (I use 2 because I like alot of it on my cake)
raisins, optional
liquor 1 pint rum or bourbon
Vanilla Custard (recipe follows this is where the liquor goes into)

Crumble a layer of cake into a pretty glass bowl,cover with vanilla custard, raisins (opt.), chopped almonds, and whipped cream. Repeat with the same layers of cake and cover with whipped cream being your last layer. Keep in refrigerator to set. This keeps for quite awhile....I have kept it up to two weeks in the fridge.

I do not use liquor or raisins in mine.

CUSTARD

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 quart milk
1 pint dark rum or bourbon

Beat eggs one at a time, add sugar and salt, beat thoroughly. Scald milk; stir into flour mixture and return to pot; cook until thickened, but not curdling....like pudding thickness. Remove and cool thoroughly!! Add whiskey or rum to this. Stir it well!!

NOTE:
I don't do the scalding thing, I just add the milk and all and put it on the stove and cook it till it thickens to the right thickness I want. I do sorta make a paste like with the flour then add the rest of the milk to it so there are no really big lumps in it.

Hope ya'all enjoy this!

Nancy

Last edited by kellydid; 09-20-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sweet Potato Souffle in Orange Shells

Sweet Potato Souffle in Orange Shells

This was one of my **very** **favorite** dishes that my grandmother would make! This is enough for about 24 servings

12 oranges
6 - 8# sweet potatoes or yams
2 sticks butter
1 c dark brown sugar (to taste - you may want more)
ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cinnamon - to taste
salt and pepper - to taste
3 Tbsp vanilla or rum extract OR
1/2 - 3/4 c rum or bourbon (if desired)
24 big marshmallows
a little softened butter

The day before, she'd slice oranges in half and I'd get to juice them on the juicer attachment of her old Sunbeam electric mixer (wish I still had it!!). Scrape out the webbings with a sharp spoon, and reserve the orange shells.

At the same time, bake big yams / sweet potatos (don't ask me the difference - I don't know, and I've used both kinds of tubers and can't tell the difference!) until they were done - stick a fork in and when they are soft, they are done. It's about like baking "regular" potatoes.

Spoon the *hot* potatoes out of their skins into a big bowl and mash until lumps are gone. Add the butter, sugar, and about 1/3 of the freshly squeezed orange juice. (More or less to taste - this is one of those dishes that you taste a lot as you make it!)

Whip up the potatoes and add the nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, salt and pepper - tasting all the while! Add the extract (or the rum or bourbon if using it). Give the mixture one final whipping to mix it all up really well.

Fill each of the orange shells with sweetpotato mixture, smoothing over the top. Place on cookie sheets and refrigerate overnight.

Bake uncovered at 350deg for 45 minutes to heat through and very slightly brown the top.

Just before ready to serve, press a marshmallow into the top of each shell, and brush softened butter on it. Put the potatoes under the broiler set on low and WATCH THEM as the marshmallows soften and brown nicely on top. (I've flamed the marshmallows when not watching them closely enough! - not pretty!)

Serve and accept the compliments!

If you have leftovers, they refrigerate well, but take on a much stronger, slightly bitter orange flavor from the orange shells. You may want to "decant" the leftovers out of the orange shells into a casserole dish. OTOH, you may like the stronger flavor - I do!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Elizabeth's Almost from Scratch Turkey Stuffing

This is sooo cool!

My grandmother used to make cornbread 2 days ahead of time and let it dry out along with a loaf of bread - there'd be pieces of bread all over the kitchen drying out for a couple of days! Then she'd grind up all the cornbread and bread and add all kinds of spices.

MY way is better and more modern!

1 bag Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing
1 bag Pepperidge Farm Cornbread stuffing
(size of bag will depend on the size turkey you are making and how many stuffing lovers you have - Oh just use the big bags! )
1 large onion - chopped finely
1 bell pepper (color up to you - I like the red ones) chopped finely
4 stalks celery - chopped finely
2 large carrots - chopped finely
3/4 c pecan or walnut pieces
1# mixed ground beef and sweet italian sausage - browned, rinsed, drained
2 granny smith apples (or other crisp, tart apples) cored and chopped finely (leave skins on!)
finely chopped cooked turkey neck and giblets
hot turkey stock (volume according to package directions + 1/2 c)
butter (volume according to package directions)

Put the turkey stock and the butter into a pan and let simmer while mixing the rest.

Pour the 2 bags of stuffing mix in a big mixing bowl. Add all the "stuff" and mix it up well - I just use my hands. Add the hot turkey stock/butter mixture and lightly toss (I use a big salad serving fork) to moisten.

If stuffing the turkey, stuff it lightly - don't pack in the stuffing! Put the rest of the stuffiing in a casserole with a lid. Bake at 350deg until hot through. Take the top off and run under a broiler until lightly browned and crusty on top and still moist inside.

This is great - and soooooo easy!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 11-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thought I would share this with you. MMMMMMMummmm Gooood

Cranberry Surprise Relish
Makes About 3 cups

1 seedless orange, cut into large chunks (see Tip)
1 apple, cored and cut into large chunks
2 cups fresh cranberries (see Tip)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup pecans

1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor that has been fitted with its metal cutting blade. Process for 1 to 2 minutes, or until finely chopped and thoroughly mixed, scraping down the sides of the container as needed.
2. Serve immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and chill until ready to serve.

MY TIPS: There's no need to peel the oranges, 'cause we actually want bits of peel in this relish. And if you want to use frozen cranberries, make sure to thaw them before processing.

Last edited by CraftyLdy; 11-15-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Donna-Marie, you might want to check that "Serving Suggestion" at the end of your Cranberry Surprise!

Sounds delicious.
All these Thanksgiving recipes are making me HUNGRY!