Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thanksgiving Ahhhh, hot fresh turkey dinner! Mmmmmm. Share your thoughts!

Old 10-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Need suggestions for Thanksgiving dinner:No time can't cook!

As many of you know, I am a full-time student in a large university in a large town 3 1/2 hours west of where my husband (and home base) is located. I have had incredibly bad luck (understatement) for the first 5 weeks of school so I am trying to play catch-up in my school work and write several essays and research papers.

I get a week off from school for Thanksgiving break but will need most of that time to study and write papers. I usually LOVE to play hostess and bake everything from scratch. (I LOVE to cook!) This year my DD, SIL, DGD, DGS, and maybe even my DS will be coming to Carlsbad for Thanksgiving dinner. DD and her family live 2 1/2 hours east of DH. Some my kitchen equipment is here and some is there with DH. (I do have silverware and fine China. I'm just milited on cook ware.) So, cooking and baking myself is out of the question. This leads me to my question.

With my given situation, does anyone have any creative ideas on ways that I can spend Thanksgiving--in particular--the meal--with my family? DH lives in Carlsbad, which is limited on Restaurants. I live in a larger city with many restaurants as does my DD. Are there places where I can order take-out Thanksgiving meals ahead of time and bring them home? What about frozen pre-cooked turkey and dressing and stuff like that? I could be able to do a greenbean casserole from scratch. I can also do the brown and serve type rolls as well as the queso dip that my DD loves. Bottom line: not much time, too much distance, and very little cooking equipment. I do, however, have space in Carlsbad. I would really appreciate ideas and opinions so that I can spend quality time with familyand most importantly--play with grandkids!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 10-14-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Nine Year Member

Check out your local grocery stores, in my area Kroger & Meijer's both offer pre-cooked turkey dinners with the fixings for under $30. Pick up a pie and drinks and you are set.

Don't sweat it you have to much on your plate this year to spend a day cooking.

Roberta
Old 10-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

OK, here's a thought. Does it HAVE to be turkey? Why not let them know that it will be a special meal, maybe some family favorites, but not the traditional "turkey dinner with 900 fixings." Save that for Christmas break when you have more time off. Just give thanks for the opportunity for the family to be together and enjoy each other's company. Because you will get to be together and that's the most important part!!

When I was in grad school I only had 2 days off for Thanksgiving and I didn't have the money for a plane ticket home. My sister bought a plane ticket to come and see me. All my roommates were staying at school too, and 1 other roommate had her sister coming to visit. We invited a few other students who were "stuck" there, and we did make a turkey dinner! My grandmother mailed me her stuffing recipe. I woke up at 5 to start the turkey and stuffing. Everyone was asleep and I had the bird in the oven and was back to studying Other roommates took charge of other parts of the meal. It was a nice day but if my sister hadn't been there, it would have been a very down day for me.

It's not about what you serve for the meal--it's about who you eat the meal with!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I was going to say the same thing as Roberta - check out one of your larger supermarkets. I live in northern IL...besides Meijer, Dominicks and Jewel also do the turkey-with-all-the-trimmings thing.

Good luck!
~Melanie
Old 10-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Those precooked turkeys the supermarkets do are pretty good!

Boston Market does them as well.. if you have one near you .. Does it have to be turkey? If so, have you considered buying Deli turkey, the one you buy for sandwiches, getting some gravy .and adding mashed potatoes and whatever other veggies you want.. and don't forget the cranberry sauce.

This way all you have to do, is make the gravy, and drop the sliced turkey in it, and you can serve it on buttered toast. It's really good and a fast way to do turkey.... In fact, since it's only my husband and myself, that's what we are doing.. we are getting about a lb of sliced Honeysuckle White turkey from our supermarket, I'll make gravy, and potatoes and cranberry sauce... and that's what we will do.. It was my husband's suggestion, because we had this meal once before and it was good!...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Winn Dixie does the Thanksgiving dinners too. I think they do hams too. Try that instead of turkey. Ask your family members to bring a covered dish if at all possible
Don't sweat the small stuff...Being with family and being thankful for all that God has given you is what Thanksgiving is all about anyway. Just enjoy your day and your family.
Good Luck and God Bless
Debbie

Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think Barbszy has it right, its the company that counts. Why can't everyone bring part of the meal then warm it when they get there? That way you don't have to stress about all the details.

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 10-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank you all! The only thing we have here (Carlsbad, Midland, TX, and Las Cruses) are Albertson's and Walmart. I will look into both places to see about these pre-cooked meals. I've never noticed things like that because in the past I've shopped for all the ingredients way ahead of time and cooked everything from scratch. I'll notice this year though.

Quote:
Just give thanks for the opportunity for the family to be together and enjoy each other's company. Because you will get to be together and that's the most important part!!

Quote:
Don't sweat the small stuff...Being with family and being thankful for all that God has given you is what Thanksgiving is all about anyway.
Thanks. That's the reason I am wanting these ideas is so that I can just play with the grandkids and enjoy the family. I'll also have some papers to write as well as studying for exams.

Quote:
When I was in grad school I only had 2 days off for Thanksgiving
I am discovering this fact through a meeting with a panel of grad students during a meeting of National Honor Society for Psychology Students. Plus, as an undergrad, I plan on becoming a research assistant. So, I am sure that job will require me to stay close and no chance of an entire week off.

You girls have also given me an idea. I had forgot about a recipe that I have that will work PERFECTLY! It can be made and cooked in the same dish. Here's the recipe:

Chicken and Dressing Casserole

1 large can chicken
1 box Stove Top Stuffing
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 stick butter

In a 2 qt casserole, melt the butter in the microwave. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir completely. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir and microwave on high for 3 more minutes.

I like this recipe because it is cooked entirely in the microwave. The only dishes and equipment required are a 2-qt casserole and a large spoon. It's easy and quick and tastes like "Thanksgiving." lol

Thank you everyone for all these ideas!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 10-14-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here is a little idea with a different twist. For example, the green bean casserole.... Your dd (who has small children, if I remember correctly) could bring only the ingredients, 2 cans of beans & can of soup & the french fried onions. Then, at your home...you could play with the kids while she could cook with out 300 interuptions.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Trust me, this is a no-brainer! Albertson's does it, ask at the deli counter. This time of year, they have lots of people doing it. You can order turkey or ham, stuffing, various side dish/casseroles like green bean casserole or sweet potato casserole, gravy, mashed potatoes, the whole 9 yards. Plus you can pick up a few pies and some ice cream or whipped cream and some cranberry sauce, some wine and apple cider, and it's one-stop-shopping. Order the whole thing ahead of time, pick it up that morning. Piece of CAKE! Or pumpkin pie, as the case may be. Another advantage to all this is that you won't have a lot of mess to clean up!

Mrs Smith's pumpkin custard pie is excellent. Want to gild the lily? Get some rum raisin Haagen Dasz ice cream for that.

The truth is that everyone knows you are pressed for time and equipment, and the reason-for-the-season is to gather together with the people you love in order to give thanks for the largesse you have. So give thanks to the Lord, to your family members, and to Albertson's...!

Rani