Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Teenagers

Teenagers So many parents of teens have said "just you wait!" But why? What are your thoughts on teens today?

Old 01-02-2004, 03:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What time is your curfew and bedtime for your teen?

I am wondering what others have set as a curfew and bedtime for their teens? If they have a set bedtime for the teen?

On nights when my teens do not have school the next day, I do not make them go to bed! As long as they are not grouchy the next day, that is fine with me if they stay up all night!!! Am I just crazy? DH, tells me they should have a set bedtime all the time! My DS, is almost always in bed and asleep by at the latest 10:00!!

On nights when they have school their bedtime is 11:00. Which I don't think is too late, dh, thinks it should be 10:00!!

Our town's curfew is 11:00, on week nights, which I feel is too late, but, I think 10:00 is a good curfew for a teen, but dh, thinks it should be 8:30. Weekends curfew for town is 12:00, I think 11:30 is ok, a little late but have to make it later than during the week!!

Oh, the ages of my teens are 14 and 15!!

What is everyone elses' input????

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When my DD was that age, her bedtime was 10:00 p.m. on a school night.

Her Friday & Saturday night curfew was midnight.....unless it was a special night and prior arrangements were made.

During the summer and school vacations, her curfew remained midnight but no actual "bedtime" was set. As long as she could get up in the morning and make it through the day without problems, things were fine. We never did have a problem though.

Now that she is 19, she doesn't have any set bedtime. However, I expect her home no later than 2:00 a.m. unless, again, prior arrangements have been made.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bedtime

My 17yo usually goes to bed at about 10 -10:30 on days that she has early classes (she has to get up at 5:30) and mornings that she has late classes, she goes to bed at 11 - 11:30. Weekends are the same as late class mornings - her descision, not ours.

Curfews are relative to where she's going and with whom.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 17 yr old senior is expected to go to bed at 10:00, sometimes a bit later. He gets up at 7:00 and being ADHD is usually ready by 10:00. Just let my 13 yr old go to 9:30, he's also up at 7:00 but not as eagerly. (Well, not that either one REALLY wants to get up. LOL) I think kids need more sleep than they let on.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

On school nights the kids start getting ready for bed at 9:00. The homework is put in their backpacks and placed by the door with their shoes. Clothing is laid out so there is no panic in the morning. I expect lights out at 10 and we usually make it.

On non-school nights there is no bedtime.

On school nights they need to be home for dinner with the family and homework is usually after dinner. Week nights are for family time.

Weekends they may stay out until 10 or 11 depending on what is going on and who they are with. At our house dating "as a couple" does not happen untill the senior prom or 18 whichever happens first. Until then they go out as a group with at least 3 couples or must take their mom and dad with them. Most of the time the kids are usually at my house watching movies and eating popcorn and kool-aid or lemonaid. Their friends usually leave at 10.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
Old 01-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Of course they need curfews.. Abear, I feel your hours are fair...
I had curfews too....

home from school, change clothes, have a snack, do your homework, have supper, do the chores, finish homework...socialize with the family then shower and go to bed.

weekends.....they did their homework on Friday...this way it didn't get put off til sunday.....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We didn't have a bedtime curfew but I always felt best if I got my homework done and in bed by 10PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

My two boys are 13 (7th grade) and 15-1/2 (sophomore in high school). The younger one goes to bed between 9:15 - 9:30 on school nights (gets up at 6:30) and the older one goes to bed at 10:00 on school nights (gets up at 6:00).

On days where there's no school the next day, I let my older son stay up how ever late he wants to. The younger son usually goes to bed about 11:00 - 11:30 on his own. If he has a friend staying the night, I tell them lights out at midnight.

My older son doesn't go out much on weekends yet. This past fall he went to some school football games with friends, and his curfew was midnight.

~Melanie
Old 01-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Gee.....when I posted about DD, I neglected the two DS!!

My boys are ages 12 (just this month) and 9 (will be 10 in June).

They are in grades 6 & 4.

When they come home from school, they are allowed a piece of fruit as a snack. Then, homework must be done before anything else. After their homework is completed, their booksacks must be re-packed so that they are ready to go again.

Usually about the time they finish up their homework, I have supper ready. If not, they are allowed to play their Game Boys or Play Station II until supper is ready.

After supper, they brush their teeth & take their baths/showers.

When all of that is done, we will usually watch some tv together or play a game....or sometimes it is just the boys playing a game of chess together. They are both beginners!

Their school night bedtime is 8:00 p.m. although I do, rarely, let them stay up until 8:30. They get up at 6:15 a.m.

During the summer, school breaks and weekends, their bedtime is 11:00.

Since DS # 1 will be in 7th grade next year, I feel a negotiation will take place on his school night bedtime!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It is much more important who they are with & what they are doing, and who they are disturbing, I guess. My dss was 14 last year & had to head to his room & not be loud at 9:30 although he could stay up till 10 on school nights. That was more for my dh who needs to get up at 4am for work. If he had a friend over they could stay up as long as they weren't loud. He didn't really go out unless it was a school or church activity, so that wasn't really an issue. I'm using past tense as this is my step son & before this school year he lived w/ us, but this year he is living with him mom. He is 15 now.