Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Teenagers So many parents of teens have said "just you wait!" But why? What are your thoughts on teens today?

Old 09-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

teen stiffed by church program

My teens babysit for a church program for pay. A staff member of the same church hired one of them for a new program for the same pay (she said). After the evening was over, they refused to pay him. They said church policy prohibited them from paying a minor because they can't enter into legal contracts. My husband called the woman who hired him. She said she was sorry, but she only found out about the policy that morning. 6 HOURS before he arrived to have his labors stolen! They are always paid as agreed on in the other program in the same huge, rich church.What would you do?
Old 09-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'd go over that staff member's head. It's one thing to volunteer your services to a church; it is a whole other thing to have them taken from you under the guise of a legality. No one should take advantage of another like that. This type behavior could have a lasting, harmful affect on your teen's beliefs so pray about it and then go over that staff member's head.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I did leave a voice mail message to her supervisor 5 days ago. She hasn't called me back. I'lltry again tomorrow. If they don't pay, I'm considering small claims court, even though it would cost more than they owe.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I would go to the Pastor, Minister, Preacher, whoever is the top person there and tell them about this. If a person is promised pay for their services....they have to pay them, regardless if it is a church fund or not. You could even go to the Church Council and tell them your story.

Besides injuring the teen's beliefs...it brings everyone down. You just don't treat people like that.

janet
Old 09-24-2002, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for your advice and support!
I thought about going to the leadership, but this is a 1500 member church, so they are not very accessibe. Their voice mail is a real pain, too.
Come to think of it, there's something wrong about a church that size that can't come up with volunteers to serve in their programs, isn't there?
Old 09-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would do everything I could to get that money. I know it's a pain but keep calling, write faxes, write letters to whoever is an anybody in that church. I would absolutely bring the matter to small claims court - I think just the threat of it might do something. They make it look like babysitting is not worthy of pay!

Let us know what happens.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It would seems that a precedent had been set by the church to offer "wages" to minors by providing cash compensation to your son and other legal minors in the other babysitting program. So this turnaround by this staff member has no basis to be enforced. If I were you, I would organize a boycott of all teens workin g for the church untill this matter is resolved.

Your son was offered a verbal agreement by a church representative. While not a binding contract, because your son is a minor, the church official is a legal adult and her word should represent a binding offer, both legally and more importantly, morally.

If she was aware of the "descrepancy" six hours prior to your son's beginning his duties, she was responsible for advising him of this, and letting him decide if he would choose to volunteer or not.

It sounds like she defrauded your son, in order to gain his cooperation under false pretenses. You could argue that this could be a form of coirsion. Either behavior is not becomming of a church representitive. If the church board cannot find it in their "hearts" to make it up to your son for their ineptitude in this error, and appologize, (with a paycheck,) then perhaps this individual should offer some portion of his payment form her own pocket.

In our county, a child can work part time at the age of 14 if they have county issued working papers, and they are protected by all rights of law.

But in the meantime, if you can get a boycott together it would help your case, and I think a threat of a call to the local media might get your calls returned from the church board a bit more quickly. The media would l hear about a court case anyway, I'm sure LOL!

Last edited by Lifestar; 09-30-2002 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by preacherswife
Thanks for your advice and support!
I thought about going to the leadership, but this is a 1500 member church, so they are not very accessibe. Their voice mail is a real pain, too.
Come to think of it, there's something wrong about a church that size that can't come up with volunteers to serve in their programs, isn't there?
I think there's something wrong with a church where you can't speak to the minister, and get voice mail if you call... What if a teen is comtemplating suicide, for instance? Yeah, voice mail is just what they would need...
This doesn't sound like a church of God to me. It certainly isn't fulfilling what it is meant to! Actions do speak loudly here...
I believe I would go there in person and confront this woman who refused to pay. And her supervisor, etc, if necessary! Proof of this 'law' should be shown, not just 'said'!!!
Just my 2 cents worth!!
Good Luck!
Pam
Old 09-30-2002, 06:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree with the previous posts. This is a horrible example for them to set for your son. I am not sure but even if you brought them to court wouldn't they be respoonsible to pay your court costs too? Like th previous post said, go directly to the church and start knocking on doors. Do not leave until you've spoken to whoever has the authority to deal with this and they have given you a check. If you are unsuccessful after that ( and I don't think you will be) then tell them you will be contacting a lawyer and the next level of the church. They answer to a higher level and you can just keep going higher. I would think that for one afternoon's wages they will prefer it stays within the church. For goodness sakes, they could get that much out of petty cash if needed!

Make a fuss and teach your son that people cannot take advantage of him. He deserves what he earned.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-30-2002, 07:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

you can always take the church to small claims court for your son to get paid....and they have already set a precendence by hiring the under age children to provide services in child care (babysitting). I am sure if you even threatened the church with small claims they would pay what they owe this time and they would be more careful in the future.