Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Teenagers

Teenagers So many parents of teens have said "just you wait!" But why? What are your thoughts on teens today?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chores for Teenagers

When your teenager spends 10+ hours of their day at school and sports BEFORE coming home with plenty of homework to do (not to mention showering, eating and sleeping) how do you work in household chores?

I want my kids to all contribute to the household in some way or other, but I cannot figure out where in the day my daughter is going to do any of this. She leaves on the bus around 7:30 AM and has field hockey after school until after 6 PM. There will be homework to do, plus she must shower, eat and sleep.

My older son (now at college) didn't have such a demanding sport, and I did have stuff for him to do each day--mostly trash and recycling, and lawn mowing when necessary. Not a huge amount, but something had to be done each day since everyone who lives here should help with household stuff in some way.

So how much do you ask of a kid with that much on her plate already?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Our 14 yr old has been responsible for washing the dishes for the past 18 months when we had a dishwasher she would unload and reload putting the dishes away now that we don't have a dishwasher she hand washes the dishes. She is also responsible for folding the clean & dry clothes and putting them in the rooms they belong over the weekend.

Some days there isn't a lot if we haven't been home so she gets to wait until the next day to do them. But 5 days a week she has dishes to do after school, marching band, dinner and homework before taking her shower and going to bed by 9pm as she gets up at 5:45am.

DD2 who is 8 vacuums twice a week, cleans the toilet & takes the recycling to the curb weekly she has activities twice a week as well. Everyone is responisble for taking their personal items out of the living room.

This summer when I had my hand surgery and couldn't mow dd1 took over the weekly mowing and dd2 did the dishes that day to even out the extra chores a bit.

Roberta
Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

All 4 of my kids did much more in the summer for chores then they did during the school year. Stephanie is the only one at home now. She leaves the house at 7am. Tuesday's she is at school by 6am for xc practice. She comes home ever night after 5:30. She unloades the dishwasher every night while I finish up dinner. Collect the trash in the house on Thursday nights. Every other week she helps take the recycables to the road. She does more on the weekends like help with laundry. She is responsible for cleaning her own room and has tons of homework.

Charlotte
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My son gets on the bus at 7:20 and off at 4:15. We have some deer hounds and his job each day is to feed and water the dogs. He keeps his bedroom tidy daily. Also he has to clean his bathroom /shower and this is done good twice a week but wiped down on opposite days... Also he does over half of the grass mowing here and all of the weedeating. He will do some occasional dish washing, but does put the dry dishes away for me before I fix dinner. He opted to not play football this year as a junior as he has a tough schedule academically and wants to get some high school/college credits in place and the every night practice demands of football late at night may not have been wise... He may go back next year after seeing how tough these courses will be.

Unknown
Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When mine had a very hectic schedule all they did was keep their room up during the week. They gave me Saturdays to help really clean the house well. It worked for us

Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barb, Julia has a similar schedule. She's out of the house at 6:45 AM, and three nights per week isn't home till 6:30PM because of Marching Band practice. The other two days, she's home by 3:30, and that's when a lot of homework gets done. Until mid to late November she has practices, games and competitions on the weekends too, and some Friday nights isn't home till 10:30PM. The only "chore" I have her do is laundry. Her bedroom is downstairs near the laundry, and she puts up a load or two each evening, during study/bed time. She also feeds the dog, and cleans the rabbit cage. She's taking two AP classes, has a full Honors schedule and like you said, still needs sleep and eat! This year we'll also be doing college road trips. So her plate is very full.

Once the band competition/football season is over, she's home by 3:30PM, and her additional chores are simple things like helping with dinner and unloading the dishwasher. In the Spring, the band starts their Parade Season, so they go back to two nights/week paractices and weekend parades and pep rallies. But their schedule is much less damanding, so she maintains her chores.

We'll have to see how much of a time demand the AP classes present. If necessary she'll be excused form any kitchen duties. The laundry is easy for her, and she gets whatever she wants washed when she wants it. So it's actually a perk for her!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My youngest had a hectic schedule and I had the same problem of finding time for her to help out around the house. I did try to adjust how much I asked her to do as her schedule allowed. There are some smaller tasks that only take a few mins. to do that I would have her do at her busiest times. When she had more time I would ask her to do some larger tasks. Sometimes she would whine that she was busy, but I pointed out that she would have to learn how to budget her time and include household chores as an adult so she might as well start nowbefore she was completely responsible.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Now that my eldest has moved out ds2 has taken on his jobs and gets a little extra in his pocket money.
They've always been responsible for their rooms but I made it an end of week thing, friday night to get your pocket money you have to have done a complete tidy of your room, they did it. Bed was made each morning usually when they dressed for the day.

Maybe sit and work out with her what are the jobs and how you can spread them through the week and have a reminder list. The biggest thing I think is just getting them to clean up after themselves sometimes that can be a chore in itself LOL

Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree, Making sure she does not make or leave any mess is a job in itself. I still find that is more than half the battle