Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Teenagers

Teenagers So many parents of teens have said "just you wait!" But why? What are your thoughts on teens today?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Teen Fashions This Year 2010

As some of you may know who follow me on the What Did You Do Frugal Thread, I am blessed to a have a little Angel (12 in cpl. days) named Maddy who lives across the street from me and my husband. She always has one or two or three girlfriends staying at her house during the summer and weekends during the school year. They like to come over and hang out on our porch and talk with us "old folks", LOL!

Anyways... the latest fashion trend here in Columbus, Ohio is peace signs, on everything from undies, bras, sleepwear, clothes, shoes to bathing suits.

I was just curious if this a trend around the country or our little corner of the world?

Anna
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Here at the Jersey shore I'm seeing more and more of the peace signs on clothing. The Smiley wink is showing up on underpants and bras. Also Smiley faces and Smiley winks on clothing. I do believe this may be the next fad for kids.....

Q. Why do ghosts shiver and moan? A. It's drafty under that sheet.

Happy Halloween
Caroline
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
There's peace signs and hearts all over everything here. "Skinny" jeans are in style for both girls and boys. Plaid button down shirts are popular over t's for boys. Printed knee socks are still popular for girls.

I'm seeing a lot of Flash Dance apparel around here. Boy, I remember when it was in style when I was in school. I'm wondering if big hair will be back soon?!?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
BTW, Anna, your story of your young friend reminded me of what my daughter said to me today..... She asked me if someone was singing a song in a store that was playing music. I said that it was a recording sort of like a record...or a cd. She said to me "Oh yeah, like those old-fashioned records you showed us." old-fashioned records! Enjoy your time with her....they bring such a different perspective to things.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Faded & torn jeans are still in style, skinny jeans are still going strong though I did see a bit of flare coming back. Zippered hoodies are still big also which is good for DD1 as she hates sweaters and wears tshirts year round and will put a hoodie on in the winter.

I think smilie faces have been making a come back for a year or more now as the "Joe Cool" brand had sleepwear with them on last year and DD1 bought a pair of the long over the knee socks with smilies in the spring.

We did pick up two hoodies when we were school shopping to replace a few that will be to small come winter. I have been noticing that a lot of the styles coming out in the past year or so were things that were popular when I was younger (peasant blouses, tiedies, etc.) and then in high school with the 80's look. Can't wait to see Farah hair again LOL.

Roberta
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

RobertaD

LOL! on the Farah Fawcett hair style, though have to admit both me and Maddy's Mom had that hair style.

And Tami.... we had to explain to Maddy and Jessica last night what a pager was for, LOL! Our neighbor on my side of the street works for a call center for the pagers and Maddy didn't understand what they did.

Yes, on the smiley faces too.... I collect appliques (Iron On's) whenever I find something cute and a couple years back I found a Love applique with a smiley face where the O is and another that is a big yellow smiley face. I made Maddy and her friend Carly both blue jeans purses for their birthday and along with peace signs (pkg. of assorted peace signs can be found at Joann's) I added the smiley faces, they were absolutely thrilled and both are carrying them around today, LOL!

Happy6

I haven't seen the Smiley wink on clothes here yet but will keep a eye out for them, Christmas will be here soon.

Anna
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My dd & I went shopping yesterday & here it seems to be: Smiley faces, a lot of peace sign stuff, jeggings is the new item( leggings that look like jeans) & zebrea print on a lot of the bras & undies. This makes it hard ad I think those prints are too mature for a 12 yr. old but we had to buy some because that's all they had for Juniors & the smaller sizes where you could get plain colors were too small.Yikes!

Tara
Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tara

I don't think I saw the zebra print on bra's and panties, Yuck!!! I have never been a fan of zebra or cougar patterns at all in anything. The girls I took shopping were more into undies that had monkeys on them and the peace signs of course, LOL!

I haven't heard them talk about the Jeggings, will have to ask when I see them today. There was one type of leggings that was some sort of plastic that clings to your legs, can't remember now what it was called, one of the ladies on what did you do frugal looked them up on Amazon.com they are way too old for young girls!

Oh well... that's what my parents used to say too back in the day when short skirts were the rage and see through tops, LOL!

Anna
Old 08-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

LOL I remember back when Mom & I both had a nylon blouse you could see right thro'. You could not pay me to wear one like that in the last 30 yrs. Have not seen underware with zebras on them at least not yet.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I googled those gel leggins they look like hooker pants. No way are a pair coming into this house, I don't care who pays for them LOL.

Roberta