Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Teenagers

Teenagers So many parents of teens have said "just you wait!" But why? What are your thoughts on teens today?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

OtC Drugs—Abuse Where You Least

Is anyone else aware of this? Apparently it has been popular for awhile now, and I was unaware of it!!

Quote:
One category of products sometimes abused by teenagers that few parents know about is OTC cough and cold remedies. The OTC cough and cold medications available in your local pharmacy, supermarket or convenience store are safe and effective when used as directed. But some youth are drawn to an ingredient found in nearly half of these medications called dextromethorphan, or DXM. When taken in excessive doses, dextromethorphan can produce a high or cause psychoactive effects.
Entire article can be read at the following link: (and info on other drugs)

http://www.theantidrug.com/drug_info/drug_info_dxm.asp

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karen, thanks for the info. I had NO idea!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My husband works in the OTC industry so I was aware of this. We always keep a close watch on all of the medications in our house. If DD's friends are visiting and need to take Tylenol, aspirin, etc., we will always check with their parents first to make sure it is okay.

Kathy
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've not heard of this. I do know here that cough and cold tablets that contain pseudoephedrine have to be signed for at teh chemist when bought so that harder drugs cannot be made from them.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Apparently this is so bad in our area, that the kids are actually stealing these items from the stores.

They steal the robitussin, Nyquil, and another type of cough/cold med that is for people with high blood pressure.

So this is not just a matter of watching the meds that are in your home, it is a matter of watching who your kids are with, and what they look like when they come home!

This drug apparently does not give the squinty, blood shot eye look. It is more of a wide eyed scared look.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just bumping this up and adding to it.

Apparently dramamine, the travel sickness medicine is also a high for kids if taken in a certain dosage.

And the "choking game" should be added to this list. Apparently teens/tweens will choke one another around the neck cutting off circulation until they pass out, and this is a way of a high. THis was actually shown on Dr G. Medical Examiner, where one boy was grounded and tried to do the choking game by himself with a belt. And he passed out before he could remove the belt and he passed away!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

y'all are scaring me!

I have heard of huffing - I think it has to do with taking in the propellant in spray cans, the aerosol gives a high. Sounds rather toxic to me.

And I have also heard of kids doing a lot of no doze for exams and liking it so extending the time they use it

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-24-2008, 02:37 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Not trying to scare, trying to inform!

Sorry Ellen, I am not trying to scare anyone, I am just trying to inform!

With having gone through pure heck with a teen boy, I am just trying to keep others informed of what is going on out there. Things that when we were teen we never heard of!

With having a DH that works with teens, and gets to hear all about the illegal street drugs, these are the things that I mention to him, and he looks at me like I am off my rocker. He has no clue about these other things.

So, I am just trying to make other parents aware of what is going on out there as I hear about them.

And yes huffing is also very dangerous. If your child starts to complain continuously of a numb mouth for no apparent reason, check their room for the aerosol cans, especially the canned air.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Something else worries me and that is those "energy drinks" like Monster and Red Bull. Of course they are marketed to teens! But they can't be good for you, especially when they guzzle the drink in large quantities.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, Barb, I agree I wonder about them aslo. There is another one labeled "Rock Star". I think it is just loaded with caffeine!

Luckily my now teen daughter will agree to the propel water, which even those I wonder about, along with the vitamin water.