Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Teenagers

Teenagers So many parents of teens have said "just you wait!" But why? What are your thoughts on teens today?

Old 06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Clean Teen Dates

My DDs and I are looking for healthy, clean, teen dating ideas that don't tempt teens to do more than they should. What ideas do you have?

We thought of categories like volunteer work, music venues, science clubs like astronomy, social things like campfires, etc.

And what are some guidelines you have for keeping things above board?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 06-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Guidelines for watching a movie at home with your date:

Parents have easy access to room, open and in a public area. Other teens are not necessarily good supervisors.

Sitting side by side is okay but draping body parts over each other is not.

No blankets. If you are cold, put on a sweatshirt.

Bedrooms are off limits even if you do live in a one level house.

Have other friends in the room.

No chick flicks or other movies with sexual references, and some PGs are really horrible.

Pick a second movie in case the first is too risque.

Four on the floor.

Any other ideas?

Old 06-24-2006, 05:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What about Game Night? Whether it's card games or board games--they're forced to sit at a table....

Group outings (even if it's bowling and pizza)

I'm reading this with interest. The issue hasn't hit us here (my oldest is 14 and he hasn't discovered girls yet) but I know it will, and a little thought & preparation in advance will be a GOOD thing.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks! Since my home is a hangout place I am going to set up on the dining room table a jigsaw puzzle and also get out some of the games from the cupboard. Games are popular with this group but not me so it will be new for me.

Any games of interest in particular to teens? We could use something more trendy than Candyland! (Although dd2 and her band rank were Candyland characters for the Halloween parade in town. She was Sir Licorice!)

Old 06-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I thought bowling would be great but the smoking is a real put off. It is the older folks smoking and drinking that make the teens in this group uncomfortable. Maybe if some of us parents go with them it would work. Happily this group does not mind parents around, for the most part.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Our community that I came from used to and still does has a lock-in party for teens once a year to cut down on drinking. They had concession stands that gave out plenty of goodies at this all-time party. It was held in a gym where physical games such as volley ball were set up, In a corner of the gym, away from the games, was a movie area. Any movie you could imagine was played there. It was set up like a mini-theater. In another corner, there were video games. At some point, skits were performed but the adults running it. I played a male along with several other females (several were ministers' wives) in an "all male" band, dressed as only one could imagine and sang to, "Walk Like A Man." I got fur from the crafy store and put it on my chest and arm pits, had my brother draw a heart tattoo on my shoulder with the words "Mom," wore blue-collar type work clothes with a pack of ciggarettes rolled up in the sleeve to show off my tat for effect, and I wore a hard hat! lol We were a riot. The males, mostly ministers, did the opposite, they dresses as women. I cannot remember what song they sang, but I do remember that they couldn't get their boobies to behave. lol

Kids could come and go as they pleased until midnight. At midnight, the teens were told that the doors were being locked up and all that wanted to leave could leave to be stuck until morning. lol

We also had local businesses donate money. Some were for door prizes. (Of course, the really good ones came after midnight so that those who chose not to go out and party and drink were rewarded.) The money also helped to defer costs of some things that couldn't be donated.

It's a lot of work, but everyone had a blast and it is only done once a year.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen, I forgot about the smoking! In NJ that is no longer a factor as smoking is not allowed in public places. Much nicer to bowl now!

All of the "Cranium" games are great fun for teens. There are many variations of these; you can find them in Target or other chain type stores. "Rummikub" is also fun, as is Monopoly (especially the specialty editions).
Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

more more more! this is great, thank you so much for these ideas!

what about ideas for a small group of 3 to 5? pick up sorts of days...

I thought of water balloons if it was hot. Except no see through t shirts and skimpy bathing suit tops.

And renting movies is always a hit except where do the kids find clean movies? websites anyone?

She wanted to buy him a book and that was hard to do too! thankfully we ran into a woman who has two teen nephews and she gave us five authors to choose from.

Last edited by ellenmelon; 06-24-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I love the game night idea. My friends and I used to do this when we were over 21.
There's Scattergories, Yatzee, Scrabble and Bunko and even card games that they could learn to play. Dare I mention charades? That would be a hoot with older kids. Have them pick teams. You could pick up a cheap trophy to pass out to the winning kid or team. Create a trophy wall at your house to hold the trophy and pic of the winner holding the trophy.

How about craft night? Not cheesy "little" kids crafts, something cool for the older kids.

You could make cookies with all of them. That would depend on your patience . Depending on the amount of kids, set up groups to make different kinds of cookies and then they can all share their creation at the end. This would work for pizza too.

During the day you could set up a car wash for your cars and the other parents too.

I read an article one time where a family would have "International Night". They would pick a country at the beginning of the week and then on Saturday night, they would gather to learn about that country. Each child was asked to bring something to represent that country.....which would require them to do some research. A movie, music, poetry, a book....anything. They would look up recipes and cook food from that country too. It would take some planning but you could work with these kids to do something like that. Together you could pick a country and decide on a day that you would all gather. Two or three could be in charge of entertainment, some for food, some for the history of the country.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

How about a volleyball or basketball game evening,or even a pot luck sandwich,chips,dips and don't forget the sweets night.