Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Teacher Gift Ideas?

HELP!

I am trying to get all things Christmas done early this year and am thinking of teacher gifts. I am room parent for my DD's kidnegarten class. Should I ask for a donation for something from the group or just leave it up to the individual? Also any ideas? I was thinking maybe a basket filled with teacher things...stickers, markers,pens,stamps,pads,ect. or should it be something personal. All these thoughts, please help.
Thanks
Patti
Old 09-15-2002, 02:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello,

I was head parent last year and I am 2nd in command this. I have also been helper mom for k and 1st grades.

Let me start by saying each year was so different. Some years I had parents wanting to contribute to a gift and others not wanting to get involved.

Just a few tips, know who you are asking. As being the head mom I would only ask the other "class parents" to donate toward a gift. If you start asking other moms their could be a problem. This has happened to us in the past).

Last year there were 5 class parents and not one of them ever got involved with a party except to show up and sit with their kid. THen you had a mom that only signed up to go on a trip and she stayed with her kid only. So at the end of the year, I asked about donating for a goft and they all said NO. I was shocked. We had a WONDERFUL teacher.

So I handmade/sewed a wreath from a patteren I have (I have it listed in the xmas forum). OR another idea that ALL the teachers in out school LOVED was a Money tree. They are easy to make and each one is different. THere is a picture of the Money Plant I made this past year as an end of year gift in tht Gift Ideas forum.

You may want to check some of these out.

But I also like your ideas of a basket. I actually did this for Kindergarten. I gave her personal stuff like pencil and pen set (nice once) engraved paperweight, notepad with her name on them, and since she gave out prozes from the treasure box, I have her supplies for her to out in the box. She seemed to have really enjoyed it.

Good Luck in your choices!

Old 09-15-2002, 03:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Teacher gifts...

Hi. I'm going to make cappuccino mix and put in a basket with chocolate dipped spoons and peppermint sticks and I got a cute snowman ornament with my daughter's teacher's name on it to hang on the basket. I think things like that are more appreciated than other things. I did a similar thing last year for her preschool teachers and they were a hit.

Have fun!

Stacy
Old 09-17-2002, 05:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Last year I had my daughters paint ornaments for their teachers. We bought them at WalMart and I already had the paints. They put their names on the back so the teachers would always remember who they were from and they loved them.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tammy!!!
What a great idea for Teachers Gifts!!! I am always trying to find something nice but yet inexpensive. That is something that the kids would love to do and I'm sure the teachers would love it also. I also like the ideas about gift baskets - with some flavored coffee packets & or even some tea along with some homemade cookies or little loaves of bread with the recipes tucked in would be nice also.....I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting excited about the HOLIDAYS!!!
Old 09-21-2002, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Teacher Gift Ideas

Hi! When my daughter was in grade school, I made Xmas ornaments for both the teacher and the aide. I cross stitched different Xmas designs, mostly snowmen .One of the aides loved bears, so I had done a Xmas bear for her. I had originially gotten the ornaments as kits at one of our local dime stores for $.99 including the frame!! They were 3" in size. I reused the patterns and got frames from JoAnn fabrics. We put the teacher/aides's name on the back and my daughter's name and the year, so they would remember who had given them the ornaments as they used them every year. They were a big hit ,for a little money and my cross stitching effort. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Teacher gifts

I come from 2 different perspectives in answering your question. I was a teacher for 17 years, and now I own my own gift basket company. We did a gift basket for my daughter's teacher last year, and she loved it. The room mother sent a note to each parent allowing them to contribute to a group gift, if they wanted to do so. With the contributed money (I think it was about $60), I put together a basket that had flavored coffees (I knew she was a coffee drinker-cocoa, tea or cider mixes would be good also), cookies, muffins, a small book, microwave popcorn, scented candles, etc. I was aiming mostly for things that she could use at home with her family, or snack things she could keep in her desk for when she needed a pick-me-up. I tried to avoid things that were strictly for use in the classroom, since that felt like more of a gift to the class than to her personally.

As a former teacher, I appreciated any gift my students gave me, but enjoyed most the things like gift certificates to local stores(bookstores especially) or restaurants, homemade mixes like another poster mentioned, and because I collected ornaments-anything for my tree or christmas decorations for my home. I wasn't on a diet so I also liked baked goodies, because I didn't have time to do much baking of my own. And I would have loved getting a gift basket like the ones we have talked about. A gift basket is a fairly economical choice also, if most of the parents choose to participate. In a class of 20-25 students, only $3-$5 per child provides a good fund to work with.

Hope this helps you in your planning and decision making.

Jane
Old 09-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm active with my 2nd grade and kindergarten age granddaughters classes and intend to suggest that each child contribute $2 each. With a class of 20 kids this will make for a nice gift certificate to a local restaurant. No shopping, no inappropriate gifts and one less stress for the parents of the students. It may not be a welcomed suggestion but I wish someone had done this when my kids were young! I would have appreciated not having to choose and wrap yet another gift even for someone as special as a teacher. BTW I love the idea of a basket filled with supplies as well. The k teacher has notes on her door of supplies that she needs so we try to pick things up frequently but a basket would be a wonderful idea.

Jayne

AKA

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-21-2002, 09:32 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

My SIL is a teacher and she has told me as much as she appreciates the gifts she gets every year, it just isn't feasible to keep that many ornaments and that many coffee cups etc... She says something useful is always used. I took that to heart last year and decided to get my kids teachers a gift bag with food in it. I gave my older son's teacher some chai tea, chocolate truffle brownie mix and spinach and artichoke dip mix. My younger son's teacher got chai tea, vidallia onion dressing and spinach dip mix. I finished the bag off by throwing some jelly belly's in it. They loved it and actually called me during the summer to find out where I got the stuff! Hope this helps a little bit!
Old 09-21-2002, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks OmommyO for another great idea!

BTW we've missed your wit on what's for dinner. I at least notice when our long timers are gone.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member