Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

bbkimberly I am livid just reading about this! That poor child. When did it become mandatory to give ANYone a gift? I just hope the room mom was mature enough to realize that the way she handled the situation was wrong. We live in a very depressed area due to textile industry lay-offs. I feel $2/child is quite sufficient in a classroom of 20 children. Yet if a parent didn't feel they could spare the $2 then it's quite understandable! What kind of examples are we setting for these kids, especially when an adult won't allow them to sign a Christmas card? Sad, sad, sad.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-25-2002, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

bbkimberly - like nagymom, I was LIVID when I read your post! That rude, heartless mother should be thankful that I was not a member of that school community when that happened! She might have ended up bald and I might have ended up in jail!

No, I wouldn't have gotten physically violent BUT, I would have pulled that mother into a closet somewhere out of the children's hearing and given her a piece of my mind!

No child should ever, under any circumstances, be treated so thoughtlessly!

At our school, those who want to get the teacher a gift, do so. I have never been asked to donate towards a teachers gift. I have been a "Room Mom" for two years (including this year) and never thought to ask the students to contribute for a "class gift" to the teacher.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We did have a talk and she was nice about it. She didn't give me any grief and my son did sign the card despite me not being able to donate. To uplift you I will share this story with you. My girlfriend is a teacher in a poor community and one of her students gave her a gift for her birthday that was sweet in thought but funny. He wasn't fluent in english and who knows if the parents knew what it was either. He bought what he thought was perfume - just looked at the picture on the box. He saw the woman, pretty flowers......it was a box of douche There were the kids telling her in spanish "put some on!! She smiled, said "thank you", and told them she would put some on later. LOLOL

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi!

I've only given the teacher gifts when I feel I can. I don't like how it makes the rest of the class feel when 2 or 3 bring gifts and the rest can't or don't. I also don't like to contribute to a class gift either. I feel that if I want to give a gift I will. It shouldn't be required.

When my dd was in Kindergarten, I didn't send the teacher a gift at x-mas or end of the school yr. It never occurred to me to send a gift! My dd did feel left out since she didn't have a gift for the teacher to open. I think 4 out of 24 kids brought the teacher a gift at each occasion. And most of it was knick-knacks.

That summer, I bought 2 necklaces (found at a clearance sale $1 each) with an apple charm and "best teacher" written across the apple. So the next yr I was ready for end of school gifts.

The next yr, I bought a box of stickers for each teacher.

Last yr, I made a canvas tote bag. My dd insisted that it be a x-mas present for the teacher. The teacher used it the rest of the yr and is still using it! I didn't give an end of school gift. I told my dd that one gift is enough.

This yr I haven't decided if I will give a gift or not. If we do it maybe something that the kids can make. Or even just a card.

AuntieKLE
Old 09-25-2002, 01:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

TEACHER GIFTS

For years I've given my children's homeroom teacher a warm throw blanket for Christmas. It's always a surprise and you can pick them up on sale throughout the year. I usually buy a chenneil (sp?) because they're so soft, in a neutral color. You can never have enough blankets in my house. Also, if they want, they can keep it in their car during the cold months. Just an idea.

I've also given gift certificates to restaurants. And, an idea for a small gift is a candle that smells just like fresh baked cookies (found at Wal-Mart & K-Mart) for about 7 - 8 dollars.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have heard some complaints from teachers at our local school that they just don't know what to do with all the christmas gifts they get, and sometimes they get birthday gifts too, then end of the year gifts, and by the time you multiply 20+ kids, 3 possible occasions per year, by 30 years before retirement, you're talking a lot of stuff that might not be wanted or they may not have room for, and then don't forget Teacher Appreciation Day too. I've had a suggestion from one kindergarten teacher that she'd rather get things that she can actually use in her classroom such as markers, crayons, pencils, paper. You could find out what the teacher uses in the class according to the grade level and buy accordingly. Also, I think the food idea sounds wonderful. One year I had a last minute gift I needed to give and asked the teacher's assistant what the teachers favorite candy bar was. I used a simple container (don't remember now what it was) and filled it with her favorite candy bars. She was thrilled. Also, if you have access to order from LTD Commodities or abc distributing (they both have a website, just add .com), they have an adorable set of 3 boxes with schools painted on them and miniature pencils, etc. tied on the metal handles that would be perfect for holding those markers, candy bars, or whatever you chose. I'm sorry this is so long, but if it helps anyone, it's worth it. Have a super day!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb What we do

I live in a small state and while we have classroom moms, I make it a point to have the gift to the teacher somthing that is from my son and also useful.
All year long i visit free boards. I apply for anything stickers, make up, perfume, shampoo you name it and i am there.

When a holiday rolls around and it is time for gifts I purchase a gift bag 1.00, tissue paper .50, thats it.

I then select from my free items what this person would like.
My son then goes on to make bathsalts with all stuff I already have in my kitchen.
This way it is items for the classroom and in the home.

I have recieved free Paper, cards, You could even create note pads for the teachers.
I have gone as far as to print business cards for the teachers with a blank spot for the schools name and a blank spot for the phone number. You never know when they will switch schools. and I use free cards that I get also.

The possibilities are endless...
Old 10-19-2002, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

One year my sister taught school (3rd grade) and got tons of stuff from her kids that she really couldn't use for anything (allergic to smelly bath stuff, candles, etc.) so she donated it elsewhere. Later she read an article about an idea she could use in later years - tell kids that you'd prefere they not bring a gift, but they could bring a canned food item instead so the CLASS could donate to her favorite charity. It was strictly voluntary, but most kids could manage a can of veggies. You might have to plant the seed by talking it up around school, or approach the PTA.

Another idea is to get a book for his/her classroom. When our school has Scholastic book sales, teachers can sign up for books they want, and then the PTA puts a sticker inside the book stating who donated it to the teacher. You could get a book from a new or used bookstore, and put a sticker inside it yourself. Won't your child be PROUD to have donated a book to his/her teacher's classroom library. Maybe your child could even donate a book of their own.

During Open House at school, I try to make notes to myself about what the teacher has in her classroom. A couple collect beanie babies, another has a huge candy jar she could certainly use help keeping filled, one more collects teddy bears, etc.

If you're crafty, how about making SIGNS for their classroom. Something in the shape or color of their subject, with their name painted on it, like COACH SMITH'S GYM. Or signs for QUIET CORNER, TURN IN HOMEWORK HERE, etc. In high school I've seen teachers with small white boards outside their doors. They write notes like BRING YOUR TEXTBOOK TODAY. You could paint their name or subject on the white board as a gift, and include a couple wipe off markers.

Dawny
Old 10-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We don't do group gifts at our school. Last year I made a gift basket for my son's teacher of all of her favorite things--a book, a couple of packages of coffee, chocolate, and biscotti. For my daughter's teacher, I gave her a book on crochet, crochet hooks and taught her how to do it. She had mentioned to my dd that she would like to learn to crochet.

My ds also has a male teacher this year. I think I'll give him a gift certificate; he's young and poor!

I spend between $15-20 a year on each of my children's teachers. I figure it's the least I can do. I don't know how they handle a room full of kids day after day.

Old 10-25-2002, 07:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Christmas gifts for teachers

I feel sorry for the people who cannot afford these gifts. When I grew up, I lived in a very poor section of a city. No one gave a teacher a gift. I find it appalling for teachers to request expensive items such as gift certificates. I also find it extremely rude and appalling for someone to collect money for a gift and especially to exclude a child from signing a card. I know that teachers work hard, and that they feel that they are not paid enough money, that they have to use some of their own money for supplies, etc., etc. But, that is not the fault of the parents and/or the children. I think that something homemade such as fudge or a small ornmanet or magnet is a nice gesture. For years I have made my son's teachers and bus drivers fudge. One year he made some foam art Christmas magnets for them. I have a friend who is a teacher. She does appreciate the gifts, but does not expect them. She tells me how badly she feels when a child comes to her empty handed and in tears saying that he/she couldn't afford a gift. She tells them that it does not matter and that the best gift for her would be for them to do their best for her. She also says that while she loves every gift, she has gotten so many over 20+ years that she has had to donate them to charity or sell them at garage sales. I think that a wonderful gesture would be for children to either bring in some canned good or mittens for needy people or ask for a small, voluntary donation for a charity. I believe that the whole meaning of Christmas becomes tarnished more and more every year with commericalism.
Wow! When I read these posts and see what some people are spending......I can barely afford to pay my bills, being a single mom. I don't feel a bit guilty not spending a bundle. My son is very happy handing out the fudge each year. I don't know or care what the others are doing.

Last edited by ksrainbow; 10-25-2002 at 07:20 PM.