Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

ideas

Hi
I have been room mom 3yrs for my child teacher and love it I made my bear jars which are listed on the jar site You just take a small jointed bear and glue him to a baby jar (the jar becomes his tummy) and the head on lid the arms and legs on the jar fill with candy etc....

this year I am making a quilt (small) I found the coolest scrape material at my fabric store with has the US(united states) on it and its so cool so I just have to put a back on it and hang it

I do gift baskets too
Old 09-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

the room parent for my son's class just collected 1 dollar from each of us and with it she will make a gift for her birthday and the x-mas holiday. She will take two pictures of the class - in one the kids will be holding up squares that spell "happy birthday" and the other will have them holding up squares that spell "happy holidays". the second will be placed in a childrens book that she can read to her classes to come.

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 09-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi, Christmas gifts for Teachers seems to be an optional thing for the parents, and the Teachers don't expect it, but I think if they have to look after 25 kids for most of the year they deserve at least something.
As the kids have a different Teacher every year we sort of give the same gift of a christmas face washer that I have crocheted an edge around and some hand made soap and a bath bomb in a small basket with a gift tag that the child has made.
We haven't had a male teacher yet so I haven't had to think of one for a man.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi!

Last yr, I bought several pieces of pre-printed tote bag material at Wal-mart. (It was like the cloth books). I just cut it out and sewed it together. It turned out great! My dd gave it to her teacher for x-mas. The teacher loved it! And said she would save it for the field trips but needed a bag to carry things between home and school so started using it sooner. She still uses it! She says that other teacher have asked her where she got it.

I think putting the kids in the classroom's single hand prints on a plain canvas tote bag and then maybe their names too (if enough room) would be cute too.

One yr, a mom requested one picture from each child. The mom took pictures throughout the school yr and made a scrapbook for the teacher. It was a gift from the whole class at the end of the yr.

I try to give something that can be used. Most teachers seemed to get a lot of knick-knacks. Stuff that can be used in the class or at home seem to be appreciated more. One teacher told me that she loved the little organizer (like for holding screws, nails, and other small objects in the garage) that she received filled with paperclips, rubberbands, staples, etc.

I hope this helps,

AuntieKLE
Old 09-21-2002, 07:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gifts for teachers

Here are a few ideas for teachers:

Gift certificate to book or music store
Gift certificate to restaurant
Gift certificate for manicure, pedicure, facial etc.
A charm for their charm bracelet (Italian or regular charm)

Some stores sell what they call a "gift card" at the front registers (its just like a gift certificate) so the teacher can buy whatever he/she wants or needs.

Many times teachers receive gifts they are unable to use, such as coffee mugs (you can only have so many!) or they might even be allergic to coffee, or hand cream or perfume, or many other things.

I think that giving a gift certificate, even though it may seem impersonal, is a way to let the teacher decide what they need. Even Starbucks has a refillable gift card so they can get a sweet treat or a cup of whatever !

And, last but not least, gift cert to office supply store or party supply store. Many people don't realize how much of their own money teachers spend ! (and I speak from experience)
Old 09-22-2002, 08:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Make dinner so she can go shopping! One year I made lasagne and a big salad for a favorite teacher and she loved it. I gave here the option of a couple of dates to pick from so she could have the night off from cooking. I offered to meet her at the end of the day as she was leaving for home. Turns out she lives very close so I took it to her house on a Saturday when she had planned to go Christmas shopping all day and it was nice to come home to dinner already made. We took along a batch of Christmas cookies for desert and she loved it!

Carmen
Old 09-23-2002, 07:07 AM
Nine Year Member

I am in a similar predicament with my son's teacher. His teacher is a man. I haven't a clue on what to get. The basket with the classroom supplies looks promising tho...
Old 09-23-2002, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for all the posts!

Last year me oldest DD had a male teacher. At the end of the year she gave him a bag stuffed with classroom items and he loved it. Teachers do use alot of their own money for the classroom so this would be good for anyone.

I am still trying to "feel out" the parents. Alot of them do not seem to want to get involved...we shall see. I am so used to having parents wanting and waiting to help. My oldest always had great parents as room parents and all kinds of help.
Thanks again.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm enjoying reading all these posts. What great ideas!

A note to the home room moms. Our homeroom moms bugged and bugged us last year for money. I never had seen them be so relentless like last year! I guess no one had given any money. And I think it's because many parents couldn't. I know I couldn't. I lost my job last year, and the money is just not enough for us every month. And to have to donate to a gift for the teacher was just something we couldn't do when we needed food and to pay bills. And I know I wasn't the only one in that situation because a few of the moms told me they couldn't give anything either for the same reasons. So try not to think too badly of us poor moms that really want to give something and just don't have it! We feel so bad already.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am so glad you brought up that issue - I didn't have the nerve...lol Last year that was a big issue at the school. my son had 2 teachers and 2 aides in his classroom. The room mom went nuts with asking for money. I live in an area where people are pretty well off financially - rent for a 2 bdrm apt. can go for 2,000 a month - that gives you an idea. We on the otherhand are not that fortunate - we only live here because my husband gets the apt as part as his job wages. Anyway, the room parent asked for a donation of $10 - $20 to buy the 4 of them gift certificates. There were 34 kids in the class. I am sure there were those that felt pressured to go the high end so you can see how much money there was to be had. Even if only half gave that is still quite a bit of money. To make matters worse there was a card to be signed by the kids and when one tried to sign it without giving money she told him "no honey your mommy needs to give me money first". I was livid. I went to the PTA and apparently I wasn't the only one to complain. Big changes were made and there is now a limit on how much money can be asked for as well as how they go about it. It must be made clear that is is strictly voluntary.

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!